collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by GordonCowansisthegreatest
[Today at 08:59:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522507 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #6810 on: February 23, 2020, 10:11:55 PM »
I don’t want bent Sam but I get the argument for a short term fix because relegation will be devastating.

The kind of job Pearson did at Watford, bit of discipline and new manager bounce for 3-4 games, is enough to get us over there line from where we are.

Academic though, I agree it won’t happen.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6811 on: February 23, 2020, 10:14:43 PM »
I think Sunday could decide his future.
Humiliation and they will have to act.
A plucky loser medal and he gets to fight another day.
Win and it’s an open top bus ride for the rest of the season, regardless

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #6812 on: February 23, 2020, 10:57:41 PM »
Buying the likes of Trez is puzzling, surely the first requirement for a winger is speed and yet we saw perfect examples of him on Saturday trying to get past his full back who was much quicker. We have a winger out on loan who is quicker.
The main worry on Saturday was the lack of fight and we saw the reaction from Mings and Grealish watching the lack of desire from their team mates.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #6813 on: February 23, 2020, 10:59:05 PM »

I honestly don't think they'll act regardless.

Every game has been a free hit for him thus far, why draw the line at a virtually unwinnable cup final

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #6814 on: February 23, 2020, 11:12:03 PM »
I really think we need to change it and play with someone (Jack) much closer to Samatta. To do this I’d bin both El Ghazi and Trez and play another midfielder, Hourihane most likely to give us more strength in there - yesterday they came straight through us. Personally I’d play Elmo on the right of the 5 man midfield, he has a decent cross on him, as has Targett.

Online rougegorge

« Reply #6815 on: February 23, 2020, 11:22:23 PM »

Every game has been a free hit for him thus far, why draw the line at a virtually unwinnable cup final
This is part of the problem. He should not be afforded extra favours, just because he's a fan. Regardless of the results, his brand of football hasn't been good and following them away has been particularly painfully repetitive. Any of the good football we have seen has been almost solely down to Jack.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6816 on: February 23, 2020, 11:49:46 PM »

This is part of the problem. He should not be afforded extra favours, just because he's a fan. Regardless of the results, his brand of football hasn't been good and following them away has been particularly painfully repetitive. Any of the good football we have seen has been almost solely down to Jack.

How do you know he's being given 'extra favours' because he's a fan?

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #6817 on: February 24, 2020, 01:51:53 AM »
Next league game I would like to see us try a 4-1-4-1 with Nakamba as DM, Conor, Jack, Luiz and either AEG/Trez in midfield and Samagoal up top. SJM to replace AEG/Trez when he's fit.

Not sure this would work against City as they have too many skillful ball players and we would likely be ripped apart.

Samatta
                                                    Jack
                             Conor              Luiz                SJM/AEG/Trez
                                                Nakamba
                    Targett           Mings         Engels         Elmo/Fred

Narrow without the ball (Jack drops in beside Luiz) and more expansive with it.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #6818 on: February 24, 2020, 05:26:11 AM »

How do you know he's being given 'extra favours' because he's a fan?

Personally, I think Smith might get slightly more leeway being a fan from the perspective that the romance of the Smith and Grealish as manager and captain partnership is a marketers dream and allows a much greater connection between the playing side and the supporters - "he's own of our own" and all that. I can see why the club would really want this to work out. 

Also because Smith does have that personal connection there may be a reluctance of the Board to act sooner for fear of fracturing the supporter base.  I'm not saying this gives Smith a free pass but I think it might go towards him getting the benefit of the doubt in a tough stick or twist type call.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #6819 on: February 24, 2020, 06:28:21 AM »
I was one who thought Hause should be given his chance but after watching him for the last few games he is too indecisive to be a central defender much prefer Engels.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #6820 on: February 24, 2020, 06:54:02 AM »
I really think we need to change it and play with someone (Jack) much closer to Samatta. To do this I’d bin both El Ghazi and Trez and play another midfielder, Hourihane most likely to give us more strength in there - yesterday they came straight through us. Personally I’d play Elmo on the right of the 5 man midfield, he has a decent cross on him, as has Targett.

Complete sense there.
 We need to change things and mix it up a bit. Plus drop the deadest of the deadwood.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6821 on: February 24, 2020, 07:02:04 AM »
I agree but do you honestly believe that he is capable of being that radical.
Teams have been coming strait through us all season.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6822 on: February 24, 2020, 07:14:11 AM »
They have since McGinn got injured.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6823 on: February 24, 2020, 07:20:54 AM »
They have since McGinn got injured.
they were before as well.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #6824 on: February 24, 2020, 08:38:36 AM »
We can talk about players and formations, but the essential thing lacking is a clear playing style and discipline. It's been written over many posts on this site: we require high levels of fitness, energy, accuracy and ball retention.
Midfielders tracking back, defenders where they're supposed to be, players moving into space, passers seeing the early pass, making the ball do the work, working your nuts off for the team ... in short, believing in the team, the club and the Project.

I know all that sounds trite, but it is not what we are doing!

I don't believe all our players are rubbish: I do believe that we are not doing the simple things well enough.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal