collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 10:18:54 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:46:00 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:36:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1521973 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #5160 on: December 09, 2019, 04:10:13 PM »
As we don't what his original contract was we have no idea when it was due to run out, we have no idea what clauses are in the new one so saying it was a mistake is just a guess as the only people that know those things are the club, DS etc. With the run of fixtures we have comig up if results and perfomrnaces are poor I think his job will be under threat and the new contract won't change that.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #5161 on: December 09, 2019, 04:14:27 PM »
I'd be amazed if he's sacked, even if we are rock bottom.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5162 on: December 09, 2019, 04:50:13 PM »
As we don't what his original contract was we have no idea when it was due to run out, we have no idea what clauses are in the new one so saying it was a mistake is just a guess as the only people that know those things are the club, DS etc. With the run of fixtures we have comig up if results and perfomrnaces are poor I think his job will be under threat and the new contract won't change that.

We don't know what it was, but I'd be a bit surprised if it was due to run out so quickly, and certainly not in the middle of November.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5163 on: December 09, 2019, 05:00:06 PM »
It may well have been due to run out in the summer and there was an agreement in place he'd get a new one if we went up, both parties may have wanted clauses added, as you say we don't know so it's hard to say it was a mistake, same as it's hard to say it was the right decision.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5164 on: December 09, 2019, 05:15:39 PM »

We don't know what it was, but I'd be a bit surprised if it was due to run out so quickly, and certainly not in the middle of November.

There could've been a clause to renegotiate after a year based milestones and that took a couple of weeks, seems to line up pretty well.

After that the 4 years is only a problem if there isn't a clause limiting the pay out should he be sacked, I'd be surprised if that wasn't there so the length of the contract doesn't really change things very much.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #5165 on: December 09, 2019, 05:48:48 PM »

There could've been a clause to renegotiate after a year based milestones and that took a couple of weeks, seems to line up pretty well.

After that the 4 years is only a problem if there isn't a clause limiting the pay out should he be sacked, I'd be surprised if that wasn't there so the length of the contract doesn't really change things very much.
e

What's the point of the contract then ?

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #5166 on: December 09, 2019, 05:55:02 PM »
If he goes he will get the standard 12 month payout.  They probably just give him four years in case any other club wanted him.  Juve for example.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5167 on: December 09, 2019, 06:03:55 PM »

e

because unless a clause gets triggered it runs. The clause would be something like 'in the bottom 3' or 'x points from safety' or something similar, which gives the club some control. It gets balanced by clauses the other way that give Smith renegotiation rights. It's really not unusual.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #5168 on: December 09, 2019, 06:16:11 PM »

e

because unless a clause gets triggered it runs. The clause would be something like 'in the bottom 3' or 'x points from safety' or something similar, which gives the club some control. It gets balanced by clauses the other way that give Smith renegotiation rights. It's really not unusual.

in fairness I’m not clever on employment contracts so it could well be ‘ not unusual ‘
but it’s a new one on me

that someone signs a long term contract that should he be dismissed not be honoured
I can see clauses which would include relegation playing a part in a contract but I don’t see the point of Smith signing a contract which means nothing if the club sack him at any point
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 06:28:13 PM by john e »

Offline danno

« Reply #5169 on: December 09, 2019, 06:57:24 PM »
Perhaps it was a simple pay rise.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #5170 on: December 09, 2019, 07:15:54 PM »
As my Leicester mate said we look shagged after 15 minutes which is worrying.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5171 on: December 09, 2019, 07:21:49 PM »

Yes we don’t look fit or sufficiently strong.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #5172 on: December 09, 2019, 08:02:50 PM »
It feels like we have been saying the fitness thing for years. Its clearly an issue.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #5173 on: December 09, 2019, 08:04:06 PM »

Yes we don’t look fit or sufficiently strong.

Seems a familiar theme over the last ten years!

Going into a hectic Xmas period, it doesn't look good. 

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #5174 on: December 09, 2019, 08:07:01 PM »
Im pretty sure that it was Terry that commented on how he knew we were unfit and would tire after an hour when we played Chelsea in the Cup about 10 years ago.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal