collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by paul_e
[Today at 11:53:33 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522009 times)

Offline Villa75

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #2640 on: January 20, 2019, 01:43:54 PM »
As we've seen both the good and the poor performances under DS, are we really saying that when he is able to rebuild the squad we will not see more of the good performances?
If this means staying in this division for a while longer, until we have proper recruits for all positions, is that not a better proposition than mix & match, scraping through and winning the play-offs and getting battered in the premier league, (as we have more room for error where we are now)?

I thought that's what we've been doing for the last few seasons/managers?

I'd rather get promoted, by book or by crook, gaining millions to help us rebuild and becoming a more attractive proposition to decent players.

Telling a squad they don't need to worry about promotion, at a club expected to be challenging, is rarely going to have them busting a gut. It might even have them thinking, 'why am I here?'

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2641 on: January 20, 2019, 01:51:47 PM »
The team really seem at odds with how DS wants them to play.  That's why recent performances look so disjointed. Too many players are really struggling and lacking confidence.  It's going to be a long road back to the top.  No quick fix.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #2642 on: January 21, 2019, 12:31:24 AM »
Super annoying now as have observed  Dean continuous statement of "we knew how they would set up"

He also loves to state "how they (opposition ) would look to counter attack."

But he is still the one.
Just making observations

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #2643 on: January 21, 2019, 12:35:28 AM »
The team really seem at odds with how DS wants them to play.  That's why recent performances look so disjointed. Too many players are really struggling and lacking confidence.  It's going to be a long road back to the top.  No quick fix.

He's start to name names in these post match interviews one could interpret that as digging out or just being honest.
Some players would be bothered being named others would say fair play

Depends on character

Offline KRS

« Reply #2644 on: January 21, 2019, 01:45:40 AM »
I still don't get how performance levels and style of play have suddenly dropped off a cliff. When DS first came in, he couldn't praise the squad highly enough for being willing to learn and adapting to his methods in training, and that showed on the pitch. He spoke well about tactics of both ourselves and the opposition. What has happened to this willingness to learn and implementing what they do on the training ground during match days? Even his post game interviews have started to become repetitive with little signs of the problems he's identifying being addressed. How can what worked so well when he first joined have gone to shit so quickly with no explanation whatsoever other than losing Jack and Axel?

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #2645 on: January 21, 2019, 04:20:15 AM »
What I find hard to understand is deano’s persistence with players such as bolasie who obviously don’t care a fig about the club. He also appears to be quite stubborn and has gone the exact opposite to Bruce with regards the o positioning

Offline sid1964

« Reply #2646 on: January 21, 2019, 07:03:32 AM »
Smith needs to be careful, if these owners don't see an improvement in performance and position in the league -  they may not see Smith as the manager to take us into next season.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #2647 on: January 21, 2019, 07:08:23 AM »
I very much doubt this. Owners rarely sack managers early unless fans start demanding it.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2648 on: January 21, 2019, 07:32:04 AM »
I think you are right Taylor but I get the feeling that these owners are much more proactive than Ellis, Lerner and Xia ever were.  Any businessman worth the name can read in our recent history the damage done by unarrested slides in form.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2649 on: January 21, 2019, 07:42:43 AM »
Unless we nosedive down the table or he loses the plot completely, I doubt he will be going anywhere. We just need a bit of confidence and belief back and just as importantly, patience from the fans.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #2650 on: January 21, 2019, 07:49:58 AM »
i 100% agree and hope that Smith is given the time to sort out the team.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2651 on: January 21, 2019, 07:50:57 AM »
the only way any manager keeps their job is by winning. Dean has to find a way to start winning again and quickly. You don't commit £1.5m a week to a project for it to fail.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2652 on: January 21, 2019, 09:34:15 AM »
He urgently needs some new players in.  As that appears to be the Sporting Director's remit, he needs to pull his bloody finger out.

Online Neil Hawkes

« Reply #2653 on: January 21, 2019, 09:48:24 AM »
As we've seen both the good and the poor performances under DS, are we really saying that when he is able to rebuild the squad we will not see more of the good performances?
If this means staying in this division for a while longer, until we have proper recruits for all positions, is that not a better proposition than mix & match, scraping through and winning the play-offs and getting battered in the premier league, (as we have more room for error where we are now)?

I'd rather get promoted, by book or by crook, gaining millions to help us rebuild and becoming a more attractive proposition to decent players.

Telling a squad they don't need to worry about promotion, at a club expected to be challenging, is rarely going to have them busting a gut. It might even have them thinking, 'why am I here?'
The important difference between previous managers and present manager is that we have seen what can be achieved with all players playing to the bosses game plan and it was good to watch.
I am struggling to remember anything since the "Benteke years" that I could say that about.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2654 on: January 21, 2019, 11:03:02 AM »

the 'hook or by crook' approach is why we are in our third season in this division

over reliant on Loan players, old has beens bought in to do a job and get us over the line which has failed
no long term thinking, no team building for the future, no plan, no system of play just a throw a load of players you think might stick together and hope

no way should we ever give up on promotion but your 'just one more heave' over the line approach is a rubbish way to run a football club and one we need to get away from asap

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal