collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522864 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #960 on: October 24, 2018, 08:39:47 PM »
Paul, that is my complaint about Black too.  We were dead in the water when he took over.  He had a free hit.  Our fight to return to the Premiership should have begun the day relegation became a mathematical certainty.  Instead the first of our seasons in the second tier set a pattern of unpreparedness repeated in the second season and now repeated in the third.  It is an essay in lazy, bungling, slapdash, there or thereabouts management, coaching and administration.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 08:42:10 PM by brian green »

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #961 on: October 24, 2018, 08:46:37 PM »
It’s the reason the albion have started relatively well.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #962 on: October 24, 2018, 08:48:19 PM »
It’s going to be a lot like when you first take golf lessons. Your game is struggling, your swing looks awful. But through good coaching, while your game might get worse initially, it will get better.
I hope your right. Wait change that. You are right.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #963 on: October 24, 2018, 08:57:48 PM »
I don’t know why but I feel really fcukin pissed off and down about us at the minute.  Bruce’s negligence has turned us into a crock of shit at the back with no spine whatsoever.
Make no mistake. Bruce left us with an unbalanced, incoherent,unfit squad. Deliberately imo. But we have been overhauled from the very top down. We have the structure and financial backing in place to return to the top echelons with a vengeance. It will come but we the fan base need to be patient and back Smith & co to the hilt.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #964 on: October 24, 2018, 09:03:29 PM »
I find it astonishing that we are talking about highly paid "professional" footballers who are unable to make simple passes or even control the ball - how can it be that some players are " not comfortable on the ball " it's their job/ trade. They will have been kicking a ball from an early age - they train daily - how can each and every one of them not be adept at basic skills? It's like a builder turning up on site and not being able to use a hammer or an office worker not knowing how to use a PC.
By all means they may take a while to be familiar with fresh tactics or coaching methods but basic stuff like ball retention and accurate passing is something they should have been comfortable with by the time they graduated from junior football let alone youth football. We should stop making excuses for them - if they aren't comfortable then ship em out

I completely disagree with the view that they can't retain the ball.  Our midfield isn't made up of cast aways and rejects - we went around picking off smaller clubs' best players - Hourihane - Barnsley captain; Lansbury - Forest captain; Jedinak - Palace captain; Adomah - virtual ever present the year Boro got promoted; Grealish - one of the most comfortable players on the ball most have ever seen.

To say this lot aren't comfortable on the ball is frankly bollocks.  What's more likely is that they've spent the last two year being "coached" by Bruce to not worry about that side of things and have got in to the wrong mindset.  Give Deano some time with them and they'll be more than fine.

Not with this squad he won’t. Too many players on a big pay day who simply aren’t good enough or are past it. We have no pace in the team and very few who can continually beat a man. Like mentioned last night I just hope we have some younger players who are good enough to step up in th next few months. We aren’t going anywhere fast with the likes of Whelan, taylor, Hutton, Lansbury Hourihane, Jedinak, Elmo and probably BB

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #965 on: October 24, 2018, 09:05:46 PM »
I find it astonishing that we are talking about highly paid "professional" footballers who are unable to make simple passes or even control the ball - how can it be that some players are " not comfortable on the ball " it's their job/ trade. They will have been kicking a ball from an early age - they train daily - how can each and every one of them not be adept at basic skills? It's like a builder turning up on site and not being able to use a hammer or an office worker not knowing how to use a PC.
By all means they may take a while to be familiar with fresh tactics or coaching methods but basic stuff like ball retention and accurate passing is something they should have been comfortable with by the time they graduated from junior football let alone youth football. We should stop making excuses for them - if they aren't comfortable then ship em out

I completely disagree with the view that they can't retain the ball.  Our midfield isn't made up of cast aways and rejects - we went around picking off smaller clubs' best players - Hourihane - Barnsley captain; Lansbury - Forest captain; Jedinak - Palace captain; Adomah - virtual ever present the year Boro got promoted; Grealish - one of the most comfortable players on the ball most have ever seen.

To say this lot aren't comfortable on the ball is frankly bollocks.  What's more likely is that they've spent the last two year being "coached" by Bruce to not worry about that side of things and have got in to the wrong mindset.  Give Deano some time with them and they'll be more than fine.
Thanks for your reasoned response - could have done without "bollocks" comment -  but each to his own - as for the
"Wrong mind set" - we are talking about adults here and not young kids - given time I hope Smith can mould a decent side

The "bollocks" comment wasn't necessarily aimed at you VCTM - there are plenty on here suggesting our players are inherently poor, when their careers prior to joining the Villa prove they're not.

As for adults vs kids - take anyone of any age, and keep telling them to do something a certain way for two years solid and they'll become accustomed to doing it that way.  It's not going to change overnight but they were good players before and with the right coaching they can be good players again*.

*Except for Neil Taylor - he's just crap! ;)

Offline Pvb1968

« Reply #966 on: October 24, 2018, 09:23:14 PM »
I am personally chuffed Dean Smith is now in charge and hope his team can push for the play offs as the season progessis, a win Friday would be great but now is the time to stick together and let the powers that be turn this ship around, and they will.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #967 on: October 25, 2018, 08:19:21 AM »
Agree Pvb.  There is a golden future.  We have to reach out and grab it.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #968 on: October 25, 2018, 08:40:33 AM »
I don’t know why but I feel really fcukin pissed off and down about us at the minute.  Bruce’s negligence has turned us into a crock of shit at the back with no spine whatsoever.
Make no mistake. Bruce left us with an unbalanced, incoherent,unfit squad. Deliberately imo. But we have been overhauled from the very top down. We have the structure and financial backing in place to return to the top echelons with a vengeance. It will come but we the fan base need to be patient and back Smith & co to the hilt.
You wanted him gone, I wanted him gone. He's gone. But to suggest that he deliberately sabotaged the club is way off the mark, and dare I say it "hysterical".

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #969 on: October 25, 2018, 09:23:02 AM »
Have we massively underachieved, had  poor managers, just not very good, or a combination of all three?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #970 on: October 25, 2018, 11:05:37 AM »
Have we massively underachieved, had  poor managers, just not very good, or a combination of all three?

We have been poorly run as a club over a number of years starting towards the end of MON’s time which has meant poor appointments at all levels with no coherent strategy. The optimist in me thinks that this time it looks as though we are going about things in the right way; the pessimist in me says it will all go to shit because it always does; the pragmatist  in me is saying wait and see.

Offline kipeye

« Reply #971 on: October 25, 2018, 11:14:34 AM »
Forgive the long post but I don't post a lot these days-the fact I am interested again is relevant. I was far less downbeat about the Norwich performance than many on here. This is not about a game but about our new management. Some have pointed out that we actually had a shape and pattern up until the double injuries. It looked really different to what we have seen before and arrived in a very short time of preparation. Although Hogan was poor again and Ghazi struggled to defend as well as Albert, it is going to need time for the whole squad to blend, but the signs for the starting 11 are very good.
Since the false dawn of MON the only management team that inspired me were Sherwood and crew, who I thought were a perfect fit. Like the Fantastic Mr. Fox that lasted far less than my original admiration for Tony Blair! So it is with some caution that I am delighted we finally made the choice to go with Smith and Terry, as everything about it looks right for what we need.
Playing higher up the pitch and to individuals strengths, establishing a settled formation and first 11, seems like a no-brainer, but no-one has done this before and I think we will see it happen very quickly.
If we do not go up this season, I will not blame anyone and will settle for taking every game seriously. I actually thought we were very good against Norwich and were ultimately unlucky. I seem to be in the minority when I thought Jack had a great game. Anything can happen Friday, but with Ginny back I think we will get stronger each game-but not necessarily win every time.
Forget Bruce-he did his best and left us better than he found us in many ways, and forget all that has come before and start afresh. We do have a very talented set of players and good youngsters in the wings. We have not yet seen good coaching of either for many years. I cannot remember so many players failing to achieve or going elsewhere and improving so much more. This will change. UTV.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 11:17:09 AM by kipeye »

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #972 on: October 25, 2018, 11:39:51 AM »
I agree with a lot of what you say kipeye.
I too agree that Jack had a good game, I think a few others in the team could have shown more, but it seemed they were happy for jack to take most of the responsibility to try and make something happen.

I think Smith will have learnt more about the team and squad in defeat and hopefully he will have a plan to correct some of the problems.
It’s not going to be a quick fix, but if we can keep the top 6 in sight by the turn of the year I think we could kick on and still finish in the play offs.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #973 on: October 25, 2018, 12:50:43 PM »
I hope they all write us off to take any pressure off and we use the January window well, before doing a Fulham. I trust Dean Smith whatever.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #974 on: October 25, 2018, 01:46:25 PM »

We have been poorly run as a club over a number of years starting towards the end of MON’s time which has meant poor appointments at all levels with no coherent strategy. The optimist in me thinks that this time it looks as though we are going about things in the right way; the pessimist in me says it will all go to shit because it always does; the pragmatist  in me is saying wait and see.

And that fence is telling me 'Get off me Chris, you're killing me.' :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal