collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1521834 times)

Offline Herman

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #750 on: October 18, 2018, 12:17:49 PM »
Last time I was so excited about a new Villa manager was when Big Fat Ron joined.  And his first game, away at Hillsborough, was one of the best away days I’ve been to. 

That was the first away game that I went to. I remember driving back thinking they were all like that. It didn't take long to realize that they weren't

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #751 on: October 18, 2018, 12:32:59 PM »
Last time I felt this excited was when we went to Millmoor to play Rotherham.  We had just nicked Dave Walsh from Smethwick.  He duly got a hattrick.  The season our 8, 9 and 10 got over 50 goals between them.

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #752 on: October 18, 2018, 01:05:18 PM »
I'm as excited as when O Neill joined and before that SGT. I have a nagging voice in my head which says 'it's still the same players who have been crap for 15-20 games' so I'm not expecting too much early on, but I do hope to see at least us get forward in numbers when we've got the ball. And release it earlier. That's not too much to ask is it?

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #753 on: October 18, 2018, 01:14:52 PM »
Last time I was so excited about a new Villa manager was when Big Fat Ron joined.  And his first game, away at Hillsborough, was one of the best away days I’ve been to. 

That was the first away game that I went to. I remember driving back thinking they were all like that. It didn't take long to realize that they weren't

That was a brilliant day I can't wait for Saturday I can feel the buzz it's going to be electric.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #754 on: October 18, 2018, 01:20:30 PM »
I think, Drum, that it is a response to the feeling that there has been a total clear out of the clutter of people for want of a better phrase, with a there or thereabouts attitude to their responsibilities.  Like the club having a head of European scouting living in Australia.  The new broom has swept clean.

Oh you're right. The CEO is a football man, the Director of Football knows the game having played it at a decent level. Our coaches know their stuff and I can only imagine the effect it will have. Terry last year had a great influence and now as a coach with all of the others about, it has to rub off.

Nobody will take any shit either, thank god. We do have a talented bunch of players and I'm convinced they will learn the system and play well in it. Or they'll be fucked off somewhere else.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #755 on: October 18, 2018, 01:21:12 PM »
I'm as excited as when O Neill joined and before that SGT. I have a nagging voice in my head which says 'it's still the same players who have been crap for 15-20 games' so I'm not expecting too much early on, but I do hope to see at least us get forward in numbers when we've got the ball. And release it earlier. That's not too much to ask is it?
That’s why I have gone for a draw as change will probably be slow. I’m hoping to see us break quickly and have 3-5 players in the opposition box when we score. Other teams do this, can’t we try?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #756 on: October 18, 2018, 01:40:50 PM »

The dipshit we used to have in charge literally neutralized 75-100m worth of talent. That is some going. There is no way Dean Smith will do the same. I think we will see it immediately tomorrow in patches and it will become more consistent as time goes by. It won't be whack it long, it won't be punts down the wing put in a cross. It will balls through the middle, pushing the opponents back to the 18yd box, it will be more movement. We still may not win because of the defence but I think he'll have given the players freedom to express themselves tomorrow and we'll catch a glimpse of the future.

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #757 on: October 18, 2018, 01:57:56 PM »
Stay calm TV it's still only Thursday !

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #758 on: October 18, 2018, 03:21:27 PM »
Stay calm TV it's still only Thursday !

There is never a wrong time of the week to called Steve Bruce a dipshit Richard. Never!

Offline exigo

« Reply #759 on: October 18, 2018, 03:29:27 PM »
My only fear is that the expectation of more movement from the players will see us tire with 20 minutes to go. That might take a few more weeks of hard graft in training to get through.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #760 on: October 18, 2018, 03:46:31 PM »
My naturally cynical gait is being serverely tested by all this optimism. I actually feel optimistic regarding the future myself, I just hope it is not unfounded and we are on the cusp of a return to the good times. I'm in no hurry but a positive approach, some half decent football and a team to be proud of would be really, really nice.

Offline brian green

« Reply #761 on: October 18, 2018, 04:12:07 PM »
It is not going to happen overnight.  We have been in the pit of misery for too long but with the team we have at the helm we will get better.  Our owners being worth £32 billion between them might come in handy in a pinch.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #762 on: October 18, 2018, 04:21:52 PM »
It is not going to happen overnight.  We have been in the pit of misery for too long but with the team we have at the helm we will get better.  Our owners being worth £32 billion between them might come in handy in a pinch.

It won't but, as I said a few pages back I reckon a change in tempo and signs of what's to come will be there almost immediately.  The myth pushed by people like Bruce about the time it takes for a team to Gel or how impossible it is to do anything without a pre-season just isn't true.  There are obviously limits to how far the changes can go without transfer but it takes a surprisingly small number of training sessions to make the early changes.  You see it all the time, just look at the difference Sherwood made for example.

Offline brian green

« Reply #763 on: October 18, 2018, 04:36:38 PM »
Agree with all of that.  Walking and running in proper sequence

Offline nigel

« Reply #764 on: October 18, 2018, 04:41:20 PM »
I've only been to the Brentford and Reading home games so far and in both games for the first 20 - 30 minutes we ripped both teams apart. So we can perform at a high tempo level.
The problem was for the remaining 60 - 70 minutes we were pretty awful.
Dean Smith has to get us to keep the high tempo going

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal