collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1521936 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #555 on: October 14, 2018, 11:58:07 PM »
https://twitter.com/davidanderson_1/status/1051027246109118466?s=21 Worth a read on Dean Smith Villa fans, from a Brentford fan in peace.
I have to agree with criticism of our strategy to replace Bruce. From considering Marquee names like Henry to heavyweights like Rodgers and ending up with salt of the earth smith does seem a bit strange.

And yet all options included John Terry harpooned in. Really hasn't been a good start from the new regime at Villa Park.

You mean the coach Smith spoke with and decided he wanted?

Or are you confusing Villa with Brentford and Terry with Franks, the coach the club "harpooned" on him?

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #556 on: October 15, 2018, 07:35:16 AM »
It's absolute folly if people think that Smith was so desperate to take the Villa job, but only if he allowed Terry to be part of his coaching set up.  Utterly ridiculous notion.   

Online wozwebs

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #557 on: October 15, 2018, 08:44:12 AM »
Percy of the Telegraph has already said that Smith is totally on board with Terry on his coaching staff. What manager wouldn't want someone with such a close connection with the players and who has already won everything domestically and champions league helping him?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #558 on: October 15, 2018, 08:45:06 AM »
There's a lot of lazy opinion out there about Terry from those on the outside of it.

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #559 on: October 15, 2018, 08:56:00 AM »
I can see Terry happily coaching here and supporting Smith for 2 or 3 seasons before using the experience to go into management elsewhere. If during that time we get promoted and develop a clear style of attacking play then everyone's happy I presume.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #560 on: October 15, 2018, 09:21:41 AM »
https://twitter.com/davidanderson_1/status/1051027246109118466?s=21 Worth a read on Dean Smith Villa fans, from a Brentford fan in peace.
I have to agree with criticism of our strategy to replace Bruce. From considering Marquee names like Henry to heavyweights like Rodgers and ending up with salt of the earth smith does seem a bit strange.
You have no idea what the new "strategy" was in replacing Bruce. You have seen speculation in the media about other managers the same as the rest of us. For all you know the Smith/Terry duo was their aim from day one. If you do have some inside knowledge on the new owners feel free to share it but you will be asked to provide some kind of evidence by everyone on here.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #561 on: October 15, 2018, 09:40:31 AM »
And yet all options included John Terry harpooned in. Really hasn't been a good start from the new regime at Villa Park.
"Apart from :
saving the club from financial meltdown (Xia was selling off car parks)
keeping our prize asset and telling Daniel Levy to fuck off in the process,
Bringing in a highly rated and much needed CEO,
Giving Bruce the money to buy John McGinn,
Getting rid of Bruce and his mind numbing "style of play" ,
Bringing in a highly rated Sporting director,
Bringing in a highly respected coach who's known for attractive modern style of play,
Bringing in an assistant who knows the modern game inside out and has won everything you can in professional football,
And giving the whole club and fanbase a huge lift and sense of optimism,
I mean, apart from that brothers and sisters, what have the new owners ever done for us?"
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:44:24 AM by The Edge »

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #562 on: October 15, 2018, 09:46:13 AM »
Aqueduct?

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #563 on: October 15, 2018, 09:46:36 AM »
"Apart from :
Bringing in a highly respected coach who's known for attractive modern style of play,
Bringing in an assistant who knows the modern game inside out and has won everything you can in professional football,
I mean, apart from that brothers and sisters, what have the new owners ever done for us?"

Peace?   ;)

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #564 on: October 15, 2018, 09:56:18 AM »
"Apart from :

Sawiris eunt domus.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #565 on: October 15, 2018, 09:59:06 AM »
You have no idea what the new "strategy" was in replacing Bruce. You have seen speculation in the media about other managers the same as the rest of us. For all you know the Smith/Terry duo was their aim from day one. If you do have some inside knowledge on the new owners feel free to share it but you will be asked to provide some kind of evidence by everyone on here.

Spot on.  For all anyone knows, the Smith / Terry combination might have been their preferred choice from day one and they were just waiting for the appointment of the Director of Football before announcing it.  All the rumours written in the papers regarding other managers may well have been exactly that. 

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #566 on: October 15, 2018, 10:04:00 AM »
"Apart from :

Overseeing a shambles of a transfer window that has left us with one centre half? I'm sure you were all giddy when Lerner and Xia took charge too but lack of effective governance eventually did it for them aswell. The new manager search only adds to the concern as the article articulates well.

John Terry coming in as assistant is a farce and puts unnecessary pressure on Smith from day one. Roy Keane wasn't exactly much of a help to Paul Lambert despite his medals.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #567 on: October 15, 2018, 10:14:38 AM »
"Apart from :

Overseeing a shambles of a transfer window that has left us with one centre half? I'm sure you were all giddy when Lerner and Xia took charge too but lack of effective governance eventually did it for them aswell. The new manager search only adds to the concern as the article articulates well.

John Terry coming in as assistant is a farce and puts unnecessary pressure on Smith from day one. Roy Keane wasn't exactly much of a help to Paul Lambert despite his medals.
From Percy’s article in the Telegraph

“Villa were keen to bring Terry back but stressed to Smith during interview negotiations that the appointment was not a deal-breaker.

Smith held talks with Terry over the phone on Wednesday and decided adding the former England captain to his staff would be a huge boost for the players, who all admire him after his 12 months as a Villa player last season.”

Very much indicates it was in Smiths hands
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 10:18:52 AM by VillaAlways »

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #568 on: October 15, 2018, 10:22:14 AM »

How is John Terry coming in a farce? Just because Roy 'I've got no friends because I'm hard' Keane didn't do very well doesn't mean that Terry will be.

In fact, it's pretty clear that the influence that Terry had last year was one of the main reasons we finished as high as we did, without him involved who knows what would have happened with Bruce in charge.

As for the Centre Half thing, well I'd argue that is one of the key reasons why we now have a Director of Football and a new structure.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #569 on: October 15, 2018, 10:24:51 AM »

Spot on.  For all anyone knows, the Smith / Terry combination might have been their preferred choice from day one and they were just waiting for the appointment of the Director of Football before announcing it.  All the rumours written in the papers regarding other managers may well have been exactly that. 

We dont even know if Henry was offered the position. As far as i can summise, we highlighted a shortlist of managers we would consider - Henry, Faria, Smith, Rodgers and Terry. We then spoke to them in order of what would appear to be (and makes complete sense) their current situation and availability. Henry was not completely committed (understandably), Faria is on a break from the sport and wasnt ready to come back,  Terry deemed to inexperienced which left Smith and Rodgers - One of whom would be a better fit and who was approached first - the rest is History.

Apart from the week long BS media speculation and betting companies swinging the odds to make money, I literally cant think of any way in which it could have been better conducted

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal