collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 06:32:28 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:32:23 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Paul.S
[Today at 06:29:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522365 times)

Offline shipscat

• I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #420 on: October 12, 2018, 05:40:26 PM »
He was good till he signed for us, then shite. Like a 2010s Kinsella. I've no objection to Bruce getting rid of him. Not bothering to acquire a replacement when we had already lost Terry was lunacy, though.
Not so. He was pretty good when he first arrived and played well with Chester. He struggled later on and never recovered fully. Signs he can play -he has had good games-not just easy games. Good coaching and team structure would help any centre half. One thing no-one would criticise was his attitude.

I remember him being pretty bloody awful from the start. He only had a brief spell last season when he was vaguely competent.

However, that vague spell of 6/7 games coincided with Terry being injured...In my opinion he did well,and Chester and him had the provisional beginnings of a partnership.Which is what that position is about...As  others have alluded to,I suspect it got a little personal with Bruce for whatever reason and he was in the out column.

I think Elphick would have been pushing for a start under Smith,he's played in a ball playing team before and Smith has talked about leadership in all aspects on the pitch.We won't know now thanks to Bruce's call.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #421 on: October 12, 2018, 06:07:19 PM »
Elphick Hourane Bree Lansbury Hogan Macormac all came to us having played some effective football elsewhere

Bruce didn't get the best out of any of them, I don't think he improved one player while he was with us

Bruce was such a poor manager if Smith decides to play any of them again I would be prepared to wipe the slate clean and have a new look are them playing in a proper football system under a better coaching set up

I think we might see a lot more from players even those who have been playing regularly with the new set up

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #422 on: October 12, 2018, 06:08:47 PM »
It was 3 games that Elphick started while Appleyard was injured, Samba or Jedi started the others.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #423 on: October 12, 2018, 06:16:27 PM »
He takes training on Monday too

There's a really interesting chat with a Brentford fan on the villa view podcast / YouTube. Well worth a listen. Got me pretty excited about po it what might be on offer

Nothing unexpected. But reaffirms that the appt is likely to be good for hogan, jack, bjarnason (Lansbury?), Bree.

Less so for jedinak, Hutton, Whelan you'd have thought

Managing the transition will be the tricky bit

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #424 on: October 12, 2018, 06:48:14 PM »
I know optimism generally reigns with any new appointments but I can't help but be confdent of a big upturn in the fortunes of AVFC, both in the short and long term.  I  don't think Dean Smith will be overawed by this opportunity. He has implemented an attractive and successful approach to football for a years now. I think HDE did a tremendous job handing over to a billionaire he felt would take us forward. He wasn't to know the gormless twonk would take exception to the money he was hemorrhaging and paralyse us into this descent.  If the new owners have taken account of our recent and distant past then I  have an expectation that we can finally get this bloody shambles sorted.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #425 on: October 12, 2018, 07:13:06 PM »
I’m optimistic for two reasons. Firstly that there appears to actually be a footballing strategy and structure in place at the club now. Secondly we have a Head Coach who has a clear vision in respect of how he wants play football, and most importantly he is actively involved in tactically arranging that method of play.
Villa have been crying out for a positive identity for years, and it looks like we’re heading in that direction.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #426 on: October 12, 2018, 07:20:52 PM »
He takes training on Monday too

There's a really interesting chat with a Brentford fan on the villa view podcast / YouTube. Well worth a listen. Got me pretty excited about po it what might be on offer

Nothing unexpected. But reaffirms that the appt is likely to be good for hogan, jack, bjarnason (Lansbury?), Bree.

Less so for jedinak, Hutton, Whelan you'd have thought

Managing the transition will be the tricky bit

Those three are in the last year of their contract, so might move on quickly, perhaps January?

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #427 on: October 12, 2018, 07:36:18 PM »
I am overjoyed at the appointment of Deano and wish him all the very, very best.
I am also pleased at bringing back Terry, I think he will be invaluable in the dressing room.

But (are we allowed any buts yet)....I do have this very slight, nagging thought at the back of my mind.
The club has brought together 3 people, strangers to each other, in the expectation they will gell, and develop into a team.
We really have gone all out revolution rather than evolution.

I have confidence in Smith, I have confidence in Terry, but I  know feck all about Pitarch.

I just hope hope and pray that this gamble works and that they are able to form the formidable management team we so desperately need.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #428 on: October 12, 2018, 08:17:02 PM »
I am overjoyed at the appointment of Deano and wish him all the very, very best.
I am also pleased at bringing back Terry, I think he will be invaluable in the dressing room.

But (are we allowed any buts yet)....I do have this very slight, nagging thought at the back of my mind.
The club has brought together 3 people, strangers to each other, in the expectation they will gell, and develop into a team.
We really have gone all out revolution rather than evolution.

I have confidence in Smith, I have confidence in Terry, but I  know feck all about Pitarch.

I just hope hope and pray that this gamble works and that they are able to form the formidable management team we so desperately need.

I think we'd reached a dead end, evolutionarily. 50 years ago, revolution was apparently the only answer. I feel we're in a similar place now. We couldn't keep on doing little more than rearranging the deckchairs.

If there wasn't an element of risk, it wouldn't be much of a revolution. I'd rather we took the plunge now than suffer a slow drawn-out retreat from significance.

¡Larga vida a la revolución!

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #429 on: October 12, 2018, 10:23:24 PM »
I’m optimistic for two reasons. Firstly that there appears to actually be a footballing strategy and structure in place at the club now. Secondly we have a Head Coach who has a clear vision in respect of how he wants play football, and most importantly he is actively involved in tactically arranging that method of play.
Villa have been crying out for a positive identity for years, and it looks like we’re heading in that direction.
Totally. Well said.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #430 on: October 12, 2018, 11:29:13 PM »
Totally. Well said.

We also have that air of professionalism about us now as well.  Purslow was excellent with the recruitment.  Not a word to the press and four really promising appointments with O'Kelly joining us now as well.  Class in John Terry coming back as he knows the club and is well respected by the players.  The club seems to have brought the fans back on board with one fell swoop.  They will be richer for it too with good attendances.  Just imagine what these owners could bring us if we ever get promoted.

Offline Skerra

« Reply #431 on: October 12, 2018, 11:58:05 PM »
Welcome Deano, great to have you with us.
If they cannot get a new CB in before the Swansea match, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see JT putting his boots back on, at least until January.

Can we please also expect us to make a bit of a go of it in the FA Cup matches when they comes around.
Don't need to play all the first team but but would like to see a good mix rather than change all 11 players for these matches.

UTV!!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #432 on: October 13, 2018, 12:06:05 AM »

Agree Paul, but the more I think about it, the more I think that Dean Smith has to be given time to turn things around due to the mess Bruce has left.  I would like to see a young, dynamic, good footballing, attacking side at Villa Park, but think the squad will need some work to achieve that.  I hope he is bold enough to make some decisions regarding who doesn't fit his style of play and we can move forward.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 01:27:45 AM by tomd2103 »

Offline Villatillidie1982

« Reply #433 on: October 13, 2018, 01:03:38 AM »
Elphick Hourane Bree Lansbury Hogan Macormac all came to us having played some effective football elsewhere

Bruce didn't get the best out of any of them, I don't think he improved one player while he was with us

Bruce was such a poor manager if Smith decides to play any of them again I would be prepared to wipe the slate clean and have a new look are them playing in a proper football system under a better coaching set up

I think we might see a lot more from players even those who have been playing regularly with the new set up
McCormack scored in Australa yesterday but Usain Bolt scored twice in the same game. Let's sign Usain Bolt.

Offline Dinas_Caerdydd

« Reply #434 on: October 13, 2018, 01:45:08 AM »
on the outside looking in a strange choice considering the size of your club . thought you would have gone with someone who's been there and done it like our neil

just beat swansea next week i,m sure you'll understand

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal