collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:04:11 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by trinityoap
[Today at 07:00:10 PM]

Bristol Villa fans by The Edge
[Today at 06:55:20 PM]

Robin Olsen by olaftab
[Today at 06:53:59 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 06:50:36 PM]

Champions League Contention by olaftab
[Today at 06:36:06 PM]

VAR by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:35:46 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 06:20:06 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1547470 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #7335 on: March 11, 2020, 09:41:12 PM »
Some good points there.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #7336 on: March 11, 2020, 09:48:42 PM »
I can’t help but think that Smith is a Vic Crowe for the modern age. Big on homegrown appeal, very likeable but ultimately not good enough. I’d be really sad if he did go, as I genuinely think he’d get us back up, but I can’t see him keeping us up, which of course is his brief.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #7337 on: March 11, 2020, 09:55:58 PM »
I don't think it very fair to characterise Vic Crowe as 'ultimately not good enough', given what he did actually achieve as manager following the departure of Tommy Docherty.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #7338 on: March 11, 2020, 09:56:36 PM »
Here's how it is through my vigruous research regards the transfers . I believe I covered the first team players.

Dean Smith I pushed for these 
Tom Heaton
Tyrone Mings
Ezri Konsa 
Bjorn Engels
Kortney Hause 
Jota
*Anwar El Ghazi already at club on loan

Smith adamant to have his players signed he came up with whatever the price.
Smith adamant to have an experienced goal keeper and understood remit for outfield players 25 years and under would be targets.
Preference for UK based Suso and Purslow wanted to have cost effective moves
Suso and scouts deployed in Europe for value pedigree signings

Dean Smith
I pushed for these transfers but they didn't think it was financial savvy to spend on championship players and no loan to develop other teams players allowed strategy.
Kalvin Phillips
Adam Webster
Saïd Benrahma
Neil Maupay
Jared Bowen
Harry Wilson and Ethan Ampadu weren't allowed to be taken on loan deals

Jesús García Pitarch
Suso made Smith aware and imposed upon him signings :
Kalanic
Reina
Freddie Guilbert
Matt Targett
Douglas Luiz
Marvelous Nakamba
Trezeguet
Wesley Moraes
Aly Samatta.
Borja Baston

Kalanic forced into permanent signing previous deal agreed Suso took deal rather than scout for new GK Smith didn't want him.
Tried to sign Guilbert in January 2019 but loan back was the deal.
Tried to sign Nakamba in January 2019 in the championship and had been tracking him til summer . Whilst scouting Suso thought Wesley was catching the eye and if promoted was pushing for him as Abraham replacement . Villa bought both after Suso making Smith aware of Wesley

JT
John Terry's Chelsea players advisory signing
Danny Drinkwater

Salmon Kalou : received a call from Terry, who asked him to come and sign for Villa
The forward admitted that a move back to England would have been appealing, and he would have loved to play in premier league.
The whole move was undermining Smith and was a pointless action as no work permit was being available for 34 year old Kalou .

And you know all of this for a fact? How do you know this? I wish I was that well connected. Unless you are Dean Smith and writing your  book to make you look good.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #7339 on: March 11, 2020, 10:27:09 PM »
No writes a book to look bad.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #7340 on: March 11, 2020, 11:15:41 PM »
I don't think it very fair to characterise Vic Crowe as 'ultimately not good enough', given what he did actually achieve as manager following the departure of Tommy Docherty.

Didn’t Smith do something similar? Take a failing team and get them up, only to fall short of expectations? Losing a LC final albeit against far superior opponents? I’ll stand corrected if I’m wrong, no problem with that whatsoever.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7341 on: March 11, 2020, 11:24:39 PM »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7342 on: March 12, 2020, 06:55:34 PM »
my unpopular opinion turned out to be a bit more popular than i was expecting

John it’s the same group of players that should have won at Tottenham, at Arsenal, vs Liverpool, at Man U as examples. But for any number of reasons we fucked up every game despite leading in every one of them. This squad isn’t as bad as they look, but between mistakes made and inept coaching and tactics they now look quite dreadful.

i'm not arguing to keep Smith, if he has to go he has to go
i'm a bit worried about going with more of the same with a another British archaic old fashioned manager like we keep going for
but Smith is falling short i know that

the players are also falling short
however i see many think the recruitment is to blame and all i'm saying is i don't think its been a total disaster

for instance if we move on Guilbert, Nakamba, Luiz, Wesley, Samata, Target, Mings, Engels because they 'never worked out' it will in my opinion be Amavi, Guye, Veratout, Ayew, Traore all over again

every one of them will be playing top flight football for us or someone else in the future
we will be posting stuff on here about that 'Guilbert' fella we used to have is putting in some fine performances for whoever just like we do about Traore or Guye

most of them are new to this league and new to this country, they will adapt and improve
they have all had awfull games i know that but also had motm games as well, proving they can do it

players who wont be playing top class football are Elmo, Taylor, Hourahane, Konsa, Hause, Lansbury, Drinkwater
i know Suso/Smith/Purslow are responsible for a few of them but you cant get everyone right

thats just my opinion, if Smith goes at the weekend i will be disappointed it never worked out but feel he was out of his depth at the end with few ideas as to what to do

but the playing squad we have built up under him is not as disastrous as is made out imo
in fact i actually feel quite confident of a early return given we get the right manger in

I agree that this issue is not all about player-recruitment: although some undoubtedly are not good enough. The main issue is coaching, organisation, fitness and game management. The evidence for this is obvious in our defence of corners and set pieces.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #7343 on: March 13, 2020, 12:35:58 PM »
my unpopular opinion turned out to be a bit more popular than i was expecting

John it’s the same group of players that should have won at Tottenham, at Arsenal, vs Liverpool, at Man U as examples. But for any number of reasons we fucked up every game despite leading in every one of them. This squad isn’t as bad as they look, but between mistakes made and inept coaching and tactics they now look quite dreadful.

i'm not arguing to keep Smith, if he has to go he has to go
i'm a bit worried about going with more of the same with a another British archaic old fashioned manager like we keep going for
but Smith is falling short i know that

the players are also falling short
however i see many think the recruitment is to blame and all i'm saying is i don't think its been a total disaster

for instance if we move on Guilbert, Nakamba, Luiz, Wesley, Samata, Target, Mings, Engels because they 'never worked out' it will in my opinion be Amavi, Guye, Veratout, Ayew, Traore all over again

every one of them will be playing top flight football for us or someone else in the future
we will be posting stuff on here about that 'Guilbert' fella we used to have is putting in some fine performances for whoever just like we do about Traore or Guye

most of them are new to this league and new to this country, they will adapt and improve
they have all had awfull games i know that but also had motm games as well, proving they can do it

players who wont be playing top class football are Elmo, Taylor, Hourahane, Konsa, Hause, Lansbury, Drinkwater
i know Suso/Smith/Purslow are responsible for a few of them but you cant get everyone right

thats just my opinion, if Smith goes at the weekend i will be disappointed it never worked out but feel he was out of his depth at the end with few ideas as to what to do

but the playing squad we have built up under him is not as disastrous as is made out imo
in fact i actually feel quite confident of a early return given we get the right manger in

It IS about player recruitment though.  All of these players may well to turn out to be good - in fact I'm confident some will.  They would have been good additions to an established squad where the could be bedded in slowly.

BUT expecting them all to fit in immeadiately, hit the ground running and be at the forefront of a relegation scrap? Fucking madness.  As was relying on a 22 year Brazillian who had only played in a medocre league to be our only viable forward option.

The problem with the recruitment is not necessarily about individual players, it is that the philosophy never really gave us a chance.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #7344 on: March 13, 2020, 01:20:34 PM »
Deano.

Reprieved?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #7345 on: March 13, 2020, 02:07:35 PM »
3 more weeks to figure out where to set traps

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #7346 on: March 13, 2020, 10:52:19 PM »
Deano.

Reprieved?
Untouchable it seems.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #7347 on: March 14, 2020, 12:26:32 AM »
Deano.

Reprieved?
Untouchable it seems.
Good, I might be in a minority but I’m glad.I so want to see him succeed and leave after a long successful career here leaving a fantastic legacy. He’s due any luck that comes his way. If he can survive this season we’ll be so much stronger next year. UTV

Offline Villan82

« Reply #7348 on: March 14, 2020, 12:45:28 AM »
I wanted him replaced because the season seemed to be lost.

However, if we get a reprieve and everything is basically reset that changes. I think everybody involved with Aston Villa will benefit from the 28 games we have had under our belts and we will all be stronger next season. Also, if things don't look good midway through the next season we should act as five relegation spots would be, erm, scary.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #7349 on: March 14, 2020, 07:32:49 AM »
Deano.

Reprieved?
Untouchable it seems.
Good, I might be in a minority but I’m glad.I so want to see him succeed and leave after a long successful career here leaving a fantastic legacy. He’s due any luck that comes his way. If he can survive this season we’ll be so much stronger next year. UTV
I'm back in the Smith in camp. I think with a break and a few fresh faces he'll turn it around. Was concerned that he wouldn't have the tone to do all that, but it looks like there'll be a bit of a break, and I think that's probably all that's needed - everyone rested, SJM/Heaton/Wes back to full fitness, couple of additions, we'll be right as rain.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal