collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:33:53 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 11:26:49 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Olneythelonely
[Today at 10:49:07 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[Today at 10:41:45 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Des Little
[Today at 10:33:52 PM]

Season Tickets by Aldridge Villa
[Today at 10:31:44 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[Today at 09:27:43 PM]

Tennis 2024 by Monty
[Today at 09:25:59 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1563759 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #7305 on: March 11, 2020, 01:44:24 PM »
my unpopular opinion is that I don’t think our recruitment is as bad as many others do

Me either pal.

No, nor do I. Some of them look decent players but horribly lack confidence.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #7306 on: March 11, 2020, 01:49:32 PM »
The remit in summer was to sign players 25 and under
Or to put it another way, 'young and hungry'.  That strategy fucked us before.
Or 'cheap and available'. I think we messed up the midfield (and Wesley to a large extent). If we'd spent another £15M on better midfielders I think we'd be ok but 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Kalvin Phillips from Leeds was the player we should have signed.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #7307 on: March 11, 2020, 01:50:12 PM »
See also: Benrahma at Brentford

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7308 on: March 11, 2020, 01:50:20 PM »
my unpopular opinion is that I don’t think our recruitment is as bad as many others do

Me either pal.

Agreed.
What this squad has lacked is coaching, game-management and disciplined simple football

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #7309 on: March 11, 2020, 02:13:57 PM »

Me either pal.

Agreed.
What this squad has lacked is coaching, game-management and disciplined simple football
This.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #7310 on: March 11, 2020, 02:17:45 PM »

Me either pal.

Agreed.
This.

I'm also of the view someone else would get more out of them.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #7311 on: March 11, 2020, 02:18:54 PM »
The remit in summer was to sign players 25 and under
Or to put it another way, 'young and hungry'.  That strategy fucked us before.
Or 'cheap and available'. I think we messed up the midfield (and Wesley to a large extent). If we'd spent another £15M on better midfielders I think we'd be ok but 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Kalvin Phillips from Leeds was the player we should have signed.

Would have been a great signing.

However, the problem with both him and Benrahma is that 1) we don’t know if the player wanted to come or club were willing to sell and 2) those two players would have taken up about £50-60 million of our budget and therefore we would have likely started the season with a squad of about 12 players.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #7312 on: March 11, 2020, 02:21:06 PM »
£20m would have closed the deal for Phillips according to reports in West Yorkshire.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #7313 on: March 11, 2020, 02:28:03 PM »
£20m would have closed the deal for Phillips according to reports in West Yorkshire.

I find that very hard to believe.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #7314 on: March 11, 2020, 02:36:51 PM »

I find that very hard to believe.
If that's true I'm absolutely gutted we spunked £20m on Wesley and let him slip through our fingers.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #7315 on: March 11, 2020, 02:43:59 PM »
my unpopular opinion turned out to be a bit more popular than i was expecting

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #7316 on: March 11, 2020, 04:30:20 PM »
I really want him to succeed but Monday worried me as did Bournemouth away, Watford away, Southampton away. Are they not playing for him, believing in what he is doing? Even a bunch of poor players can fight and battle for results. I just don't see it unfortunately.

Yes, recruitment has been questionable and Suso definitely deserves the bullet if he is the main driver behind it.

Offline supertom

« Reply #7317 on: March 11, 2020, 04:45:15 PM »
My biggest worry is that our last decent Prem results were by the skin of our teeth, and they seem like ages ago now. Likewise, it worries me that our last few games have shown a shocking drop in effort from the players. We've made mistakes, way too many, but there weren't many games up to Nov-Dec where it didn't at least look like we were trying. Now this seems the norm and not the exception. They're not working hard enough. We've seen a distinct difference in the last three League Cup matches to the league games surrounding them. It's not purely tiredness either. Too many raised their game in the cup because it was a cup, with a day out at Wembley in the offing. That old 'every league game now is going to be a cup final' has already been proven bollocks because despite having 8 days to recoup, we were slack against Leicester. Not even registering a decent shot on goal is inexcusable.

If the players can't be bothered, fuck em all off. Get rid of Smith, Terry. Cobble as many of the few grafters we have, pray McGinn is back soon, and then promote 3-4 kids. See if Hutton fancies dusting off his boots. Our league performances are inexcusable. We've seen we can raise our effort levels. Yeah, we can a million miles short on quality against City, but we had the work-rate. Had we matched those levels, and had Nyland in goal and locked Reina in a broom cupboard, we might have picked up a result Monday.

Offline malckennedy

« Reply #7318 on: March 11, 2020, 04:50:43 PM »
Does anyone remember our consistently piss poor performances last season until Grealish returned from injury. These had us sitting nearer relegation than promotion as March 2019 opened and confirmed my initial disappointment with the choice of Smith.

But all Villa fans want our managers to succeed (in spite of what some pundits say) so, like others, I enjoyed the promotion and hoped we’d build on it this year. But if we’re honest, we weren’t really very good for large parts of last season, despite having arguably the best two players in the division in Grealish and McGinn.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #7319 on: March 11, 2020, 05:08:23 PM »
There is no chance Phillips was leaving Leeds in the summer unless the offer was so stupidly high it was impossible to be turned down. Leeds had no interest in selling hence start the bidding at £30m, Phillips had no interest in leaving. He's their version of Jack, local lad at his club who was always giving it more crack at promotion. If they don't go up this season then he'll be off, same as would have happened with Jack.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal