collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1523634 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #7110 on: March 02, 2020, 11:56:53 AM »
It was reported as £14m with some additions taking it higher. About the going rate I'd say.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #7111 on: March 02, 2020, 12:09:04 PM »
It was reported as £14m with some additions taking it higher. About the going rate I'd say.

Of all the signings we made last summer, that's the one that felt a bit too high - given the position he plays, and the seeming lack of demand for him. Only Wes, Tyrone and Douggie cost more. That's not his fault, obviously, and I can't think of any other left-backs that moved last summer we could have had instead?  Plus he fits the club's new profile, young (23 at the time) and likely to improve further.

He's shown signs of being a pretty good wingback, but it does seem like he lacks the pace required against top wingers when playing in a 4.  His positioning and defensive play will hopefully improve as he matures, but he's unlikely to get any quicker, which is his main weakness.

Pacy fullbacks that can support the attack as well as he does come with a very hefty price tag.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #7112 on: March 02, 2020, 12:11:37 PM »
I can't believe we actually paid what we did for Targett.  He's mostly fine, and an upgrade on Taylor, but as soon as he's up against any sort of pace or skill, he struggles badly.

Not sure id agree with that mart. I think targetts been one of our better players. He did struggle yesterday as did guilbert but that was mainky because citys attacking threat its awesome.

I actually think targett and guilbert did a lot better second half. If we go down targett will be very veey good at Championship level

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #7113 on: March 02, 2020, 12:31:10 PM »
I think he's looked pretty at home in the PL going forward and links well with Jack, I'd hope that sounder defending might come from coaching with time.

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #7114 on: March 02, 2020, 12:33:53 PM »
I was surprised to read that we’d conceded 20 shots at goal as it didn’t feel like that at all during the game. We looked pretty solid most of the time and I think we should stick with this formation for the rest of the season, keep that back four and then put McGinn in midfield as soon as he’s fit again.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7115 on: March 02, 2020, 12:40:53 PM »
Might be in the minority but I find the 20 shots stats thing to beat us with a bit unfair.

When we beat Norwich 5-1 earlier in the season they had 21 shots but 15 of those were just their FBs wildly shooting from 30 yards into the crowd.

I don't mind a strategy where main source of opposition shots are from distance. The odd one will find the top corner but most will fly harmlessly wild.

We could do the same by just telling Luiz or Hourihane to constantly shoot from 25 yards but the crowd will soon get annoyed when the fifth shot flies miles over.

Looking back at the Spurs game and they had 10 shots on target which is poor considering the good spells we had in that game. That's more worrying to me as teams with quick 1-2s or long balls can just bypass our midfield and defence too easily and get through on goal.

Reina had to save four one on ones in that and of course the penalty and winning goal also came from similar plays.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #7116 on: March 02, 2020, 12:45:58 PM »
Reportedly, £14m plus a potential further £3m.

Ok thanks

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #7117 on: March 02, 2020, 01:28:36 PM »
He’s had some good games but overall he is an average footballer in my opinion. And the fee was ludicrous for a back up. When you consider Alphonso Davies cost Bayern £10m and he’s now probably worth 5 times that it shows buts prices for English PL players are. Terrible player recruitment by us.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7118 on: March 02, 2020, 03:44:42 PM »
Those comments were said in the aftermath of an appalling match.  There was no way he could keep to them.

Offline john e

« Reply #7119 on: March 02, 2020, 03:51:50 PM »
He’s had some good games but overall he is an average footballer in my opinion. And the fee was ludicrous for a back up. When you consider Alphonso Davies cost Bayern £10m and he’s now probably worth 5 times that it shows buts prices for English PL players are. Terrible player recruitment by us.

Disagree
it’s all opinions but I obviously rate him higher than you
think he’s shown some good qualities especially going forward and his interlinking with Grealish

he’s 24 and will be coming into his best years
I think there’s room for improvement and that will happen

I see him being far better than average for us
i know he’s had some poor games and made silly mistakes but I’m actually quite happy with him in the team

he offers more positives than negatives for me

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7120 on: March 02, 2020, 03:59:52 PM »
I also disagree, he was, other than Heaton, the player with the most premier league experience when we signed him. I don't think getting another inexperienced player instead was an option.

Aside from that, like John, I quite like him. I think he's good going forward and has a good cross on him. He needs to learn to cope with fast wingers better but that's the only real weakness for me. The fee sounds a lot but it's probably about par for a premier league defender right now.

Offline john e

« Reply #7121 on: March 02, 2020, 04:29:34 PM »
said it before but stats are a load of bollocks you can use them to prove anything you want

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #7122 on: March 02, 2020, 04:31:24 PM »
Yep, correlation does not imply causation.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7123 on: March 02, 2020, 04:57:18 PM »
I think there's a lot of redundant stats in there but there's a couple that we need to address.

Attempts/Goals conceded from set pieces needs to be better, part of the problem, in my opinion, is that we don't have anyone on the posts from corners but on top of that we seem to lose runners at the back post too easily, this is, in my opinion, the biggest criticism that should be aimed at Smith at the moment because this is 100% something you can work on in training.

The other one is shots conceded in the box. The stat isn't great because it doesn't account for the amount of pressure defenders are putting on the ball but even still we do allow too many chances in dangerous areas and need to address it.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #7124 on: March 02, 2020, 05:44:53 PM »
As a wing back when he's allowed to get forward and attack he can be very effective. In a more tradtional 4, where he has to actually be a defensive full back he's proven to be an average defender. To me he's a little like Matt Lowton in that regard.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 05:48:34 PM by Toronto Villa »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal