collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1536582 times)

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #7080 on: March 02, 2020, 09:07:40 AM »
For the first time in a long time I actually thought we defended well yesterday.

Yep superb shape and discipline, got undone a few times with the cross field switch ball which Citeh can play with so much quality but overall very pleased and gives us something to build on.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #7081 on: March 02, 2020, 09:15:08 AM »
For the first time in a long time I actually thought we defended well yesterday.

Agreed. Thought we were the most secure and compact that we have been probably all season, especially when you take the quality of the opposition into account. The switch of play to Foden caused us some problems in the first half but to Dean and the teams credit they adjusted and  dealt with it much better in the second.

Was a shame that we still have situations like Guilbert on Rodri at corners. Little decisions that make a big difference.  I supposed that  we haven’t really got that much physicality as a team so maybe something where we don’t have many alternatives currently.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #7082 on: March 02, 2020, 09:20:25 AM »
My concern is why we cant be organised like that in the big league games like Southampton is a mystery.

I think the 5 at the back must be the reason. Engels and mings at the back for me konsa as backup

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7083 on: March 02, 2020, 09:21:08 AM »
What was Tyrone doing for the corner they scored from though?  Wasn't marking anybody, and looked like a headless chicken.

Anyway then Dean, now that's out of the way, time to make sure we stay up, starting at Leicester next week.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #7084 on: March 02, 2020, 09:21:26 AM »

I think on a whole you are correct but we still conceeded 2 horrible goals.

Offline Risso

« Reply #7085 on: March 02, 2020, 09:29:21 AM »

And let them have 20+ shots.  It was better though, but still the midfield is the problem.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #7086 on: March 02, 2020, 09:32:19 AM »

And let them have 20+ shots.  It was better though, but still the midfield is the problem.

I’ve seen you make this comment a few times Risso, on the flip side how many times did Nyland have to make a save, once? Twice? I don’t think conceding that many shots is the problem you’re making it out to be.

Offline Risso

« Reply #7087 on: March 02, 2020, 09:35:06 AM »

I’ve seen you make this comment a few times Risso, on the flip side how many times did Nyland have to make a save, once? Twice? I don’t think conceding that many shots is the problem you’re making it out to be.

We've got the worst defensive record in the Premier League, of course it's a problem.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #7088 on: March 02, 2020, 09:36:17 AM »
Wonder if smiths tempted to make a move for Sturridge to end of season now he has terminated his contract

Offline Luke8

« Reply #7089 on: March 02, 2020, 09:43:53 AM »

To be fair to Risso, it has generally been a big issue for us, as it’s coupled to the the fact that we normally give too many big chances to teams. However, as you say, I don’t think that was really the case yesterday.

It also probably not the game to judge us defensively by the number of  shots conceded due to the strength of the opposition. They averaged 18 shots in the previous four games as well and that included games away at Real Madrid, Leicester and Tottenham.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #7090 on: March 02, 2020, 09:43:54 AM »
He's adapting. Formation changes, personnel changes.

We did well yesterday, and given their lineup and subs I'm not sure any other team could have done any better.

I also liked the team huddle after the game. There's a togetherness there that Smith is leading. Let's hope we can use this cup run and performance as a catalyst.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #7091 on: March 02, 2020, 09:58:09 AM »
My criticisms of Smith aside, I think we have had rotten luck all season.

If we can battle like we did yesterday, and get more 'rub of the green', we have a chance.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #7092 on: March 02, 2020, 10:08:48 AM »
I know we're short on squad depth, but bringing like-for-like subs on does my head in. Trez is not an option, quality-wise, and Davis and Samatta would have been definitely worth a shout for the final 15 minutes.

This was the disappointment me me also.  We saw the negative impact of taking Samatta off against Spurs the other week but at least then maybe he was thinking about the draw.  This was a game we needed to win so asking any player to keep a top defence occupied with no time to play in is risky.  Why not go on the offensive?

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #7093 on: March 02, 2020, 10:14:56 AM »
Wonder if smiths tempted to make a move for Sturridge to end of season now he has terminated his contract

Whilst I was against signing him in the window, as I thought we could get better ( and hopefully we have), I think it’s a no brainier now as we have nothing to lose. Pay him a small wage with a “ prove yourself for 2 months” attitude. Even if we bring him off the bench in situations like yesterday ?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #7094 on: March 02, 2020, 10:16:51 AM »
the team did better yesterday because he picked our best players

we are second from bottom so we all know every player is capable of mistakes and they all make them
the reason a back 4 is better than a back 5 is because it uses our best two central defenders,
i'm sorry but Konsa and Hause arnt good enough footballers for the prem,

also its to defensive minded, and Smith is apparently all about taking it to the opposition,
difficult against Man City when you haven't got the ball much but in the final run in we need to be all about winning

Engels, Guilbert, Target, Nakamba, Luiz, Samata, Wesley, Davis our the future of the club whether we stay up or go down

6 of them new to this league,
they are all good players but do make mistakes and have bad games sometimes awful ones, never the less they will improve unlike their replacements Taylor, Lansbury, Drinkwater, Hourahane, Hause, Elmo who are back ups at best,
Conor Elmo and Hause decent enough back ups, but back ups none the less

that starting line up yesterday with Mcginn in for Elmo is the best we got imo and good enough if our attitude is right to give me hope of staying up
maybe juggling Ghazi, Trez and Davis around up front to see what works best is worth having a look at too

i'm not into this horses for courses thing because we haven't got the quality and strength running through the squad like many other prem teams
we need to play our best players in their best positions as often as possible from now till the end of the season
and try and get something like a settled team together and give ourselves a chance of survival

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:18:50 AM by john e »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal