collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1537359 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #5265 on: December 14, 2019, 05:53:41 PM »
"Smith on Wesley: “I thought he was a lot better today. He had a couple of chances but he took a whack on his lower back, so it was time to give Kodjia an opportunity.”

Might as well sack him now if he's going to come out with bollocks like that.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #5266 on: December 14, 2019, 05:56:04 PM »
It is December and we are in the bottom four. December is also the prime time to change manager and give a new manager a go at the January transfer window. The four game run coming up against Southampton and Norwich at Villa Park and Watford and Burnley away could stabilize him and the club or could finish him. I hope it is the former not the latter.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #5267 on: December 14, 2019, 05:57:12 PM »
"Smith on Wesley: “I thought he was a lot better today. He had a couple of chances but he took a whack on his lower back, so it was time to give Kodjia an opportunity.”

Might as well sack him now if he's going to come out with bollocks like that.

I fear his heading towards Lambert territory with that nonsense. If he starts using “we go again” or appearing in press conferences like he’s slept under a bridge we will know we are fucked.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #5268 on: December 14, 2019, 06:09:14 PM »
I don’t think he’s the type to call out his players in public.

But Kodjia offered little improvement on Wesley. It’s the system we are playing that’s not working. Knocking it long to him is great if we get players up to support him.

Today we bypassed our midfield most of the time.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #5269 on: December 14, 2019, 06:16:18 PM »
I don't care whether he calls out the players in public - more often that not it's counter-productive - but I don't know if he's doing it in private.  Even if he is, it isn't working.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #5270 on: December 14, 2019, 06:18:50 PM »
We looked close to hopeless heading into Jan last year.  But a combination of Mings' arrival, putting his faith in Steer and Jack's return got us firing.

The least he deserves is to have a crack in Jan. We need a bit of nous at the back and fresh legs up top.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #5271 on: December 14, 2019, 06:25:28 PM »
Just posted this in post game thread but probably better here to discuss

My thoughts are the owners and quotes from purslow keep saying building around dean. They are more astute owners and ceo than
we’ve had in a good while so we must trust . Similar issues to previous regime but unless you’re really lucky you need cash to pay and sign decent players and manger.
I’m not interested how much we spent last last summer we had to with 15 players leaving, can’t be a prem team in history that has rebuilt that quickly before. Some have proven to be good for their prices and a couple dire, but then I’m interested in how this situation will be managed by our well run club going forward .
I love villa but watch as a football fan with interest on how we manger and run the club because that will transfer onto the pitch at some point.
I’m guessing 95% of fans on here were saying trust in dean after the play off win and stay with the players and don’t boo etc if we have bad runs, I’ve not seen the latter but there is no point in getting on Deano ‘s back, they’ve just asked him to sign an extension to his contract.... they won’t pay more money to sack him than they would of a month ago !
I’ll always love us and support from wherever I am at home or at VP because I love villa. I don’t know wether it’s best to watch us win exciting games in championship, win 10,11 or 12 on the bounce , or be in the cash loaded premiership..... which has changed in so many ways whilst we were away.

We need 9 points though from next 3 games or relegation would be a reality but then again we all made predictions this time last year but no-one knew what was about to happen between jan-May !!

Come on you villains , I don’t think we’ll buy anyone substantial in January , let’s just finish 17th and spend in summer again

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #5272 on: December 14, 2019, 06:26:01 PM »
I have always felt he would be very fortunate to survive much beyond Christmas. He may 'get us' but the bottom is that he gets results.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #5273 on: December 14, 2019, 06:26:31 PM »
Seriously though, if we're sliding this fast it'll have to happen with the majority of the transfer window still available, and it'll need to be a manager who has a defined, organised style and knows how tough it is to grind out cheap results in this league. I can only really think of Benitez.

Benitez seems to be enjoying it in China but you'd have to think he'd seriously consider coming back given we have decent money behind us again. I think he'd already be Everton manager if he didn't have such a connection with Liverpool.

Anyway up to Dean to nip things in the bud again like when we had a slow start. I'm still a long way from wanting him out but ultimately we must stay up otherwise all the goodwill that has built up in last 12 months between club and fans will simply evaporate overnight.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5274 on: December 14, 2019, 06:27:24 PM »
The lack of a reaction after the Leicester result and performance is a worry. If we don't see a positive reaction in the next 2 home games then i'll start thinking there could be a big problem.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5275 on: December 14, 2019, 06:28:41 PM »
The concerning thing is that he plays the same formation with slightly different players every single game. It really does look like he's just hoping it works and if it doesn't, do exactly the same thing.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #5276 on: December 14, 2019, 06:29:25 PM »
Let's be honest, we need the maximum 6 points from the next 2 home games as we look incapable of beating anyone away from home.

The midfield is a joke, we chop and change every single game.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #5277 on: December 14, 2019, 06:29:36 PM »
Championship manager at best - wasn't convinced when he was first appointed but he did well to get us up - no time for sentiment - the thought of us exchanging places with Smethwick is unthinkable but foreseeable right now
And whoever thought Wesley was a footballer needs sacking

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #5278 on: December 14, 2019, 06:30:43 PM »
I thought he would be tactically smarter than he is. I’m really disappointed that he only has one way of playing and come hell or high water he is going to stick to it.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #5279 on: December 14, 2019, 06:35:38 PM »
Just posted this in post game thread but probably better here to discuss

My thoughts are the owners and quotes from purslow keep saying building around dean. They are more astute owners and ceo than
we’ve had in a good while so we must trust . Similar issues to previous regime but unless you’re really lucky you need cash to pay and sign decent players and manger.
I’m not interested how much we spent last last summer we had to with 15 players leaving, can’t be a prem team in history that has rebuilt that quickly before. Some have proven to be good for their prices and a couple dire, but then I’m interested in how this situation will be managed by our well run club going forward .
I love villa but watch as a football fan with interest on how we manger and run the club because that will transfer onto the pitch at some point.
I’m guessing 95% of fans on here were saying trust in dean after the play off win and stay with the players and don’t boo etc if we have bad runs, I’ve not seen the latter but there is no point in getting on Deano ‘s back, they’ve just asked him to sign an extension to his contract.... they won’t pay more money to sack him than they would of a month ago !
I’ll always love us and support from wherever I am at home or at VP because I love villa. I don’t know wether it’s best to watch us win exciting games in championship, win 10,11 or 12 on the bounce , or be in the cash loaded premiership..... which has changed in so many ways whilst we were away.

We need 9 points though from next 3 games or relegation would be a reality but then again we all made predictions this time last year but no-one knew what was about to happen between jan-May !!

Come on you villains , I don’t think we’ll buy anyone substantial in January , let’s just finish 17th and spend in summer again
Spot on Daz

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal