collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1548533 times)

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #4545 on: September 22, 2019, 08:08:59 PM »
We had periods like this under dean in the championship. It wasn’t all plain sailing. Give him time and we will be fine

This isn't the Championship though.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4546 on: September 22, 2019, 08:10:42 PM »
If we do sack him what happens to the Banner on the North Stand?

We just Photoshop Guardiola's head on top.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #4547 on: September 22, 2019, 08:13:24 PM »
Interview after the game. Not once does he acknowledge that he could have done something better. It’s all about the players. Disappointing that he doesn’t seem to be learning that he needs to be better.

https://twitter.com/sportbbcwm/status/1175835147234684928?s=12

Worrying interview that. You’re right, he is pointing the finger at the players. He thinks it’s all about individual errors, which he reels off, but the errors were the result of tactical mistakes.

His talk of playing without fear is also starting to grate. It‘s a bit like telling them to try harder. Utterly pointless and no substitute for decent tactics.

Online wince

« Reply #4548 on: September 22, 2019, 08:16:10 PM »
We had periods like this under dean in the championship. It wasn’t all plain sailing. Give him time and we will be fine

This isn't the Championship though.
That’s my point. We hardly tore that league apart and the inconsistencies were apparent last season and when he was at Brentford. It is going to be a marathon not a sprint. Just because we are in the prem isn’t going to change the fact that we are inconsistent and when we click it clicks well. Time will tell I suppose but I’m more confident than if we had Bruce at the helm. Sort out the championship mindset and play beyond 70 mins and we should be fine. The inconsistency problem can be fixed by making subs quicker rather than waiting til it is too late. But hopefully we sort ourselves out sooner rather than later.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 08:19:09 PM by wince »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4549 on: September 22, 2019, 08:18:24 PM »
Yes, first signs that cracks are starting to appear. Last weeks's set to between El Ghazi and Mings, now Smith mentioning players' mistakes in interviews.  Yes the players need to take responsibility, but Smith's game management has been atrocious for the most part.  We'd have crucified Bruce for thinking that bringing on Elmo as a winger was the answer to anything, so not sure why Smith should get a free pass for making the same sort of cock ups.

Offline themossman

« Reply #4550 on: September 22, 2019, 08:26:22 PM »
Is it me (possible over reading) but does he bristle a bit when they mention the McGinn interview?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4551 on: September 22, 2019, 08:27:06 PM »
Interview after the game. Not once does he acknowledge that he could have done something better. It’s all about the players. Disappointing that he doesn’t seem to be learning that he needs to be better.

https://twitter.com/sportbbcwm/status/1175835147234684928?s=12

Worrying interview that. You’re right, he is pointing the finger at the players. He thinks it’s all about individual errors, which he reels off, but the errors were the result of tactical mistakes.

His talk of playing without fear is also starting to grate. It‘s a bit like telling them to try harder. Utterly pointless and no substitute for decent tactics.
The mistakes were happening through fatigue and our midfield being over run.
He did nothing to help the situation.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4552 on: September 22, 2019, 08:30:51 PM »
Dean is looking out of his depth. Wilder isn't, and without the luxury of our massive spend in the summer.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #4553 on: September 22, 2019, 08:31:41 PM »
You have to question what is actually happening on the training ground.

We were dead on our feet at Spurs, Dead on our feet against West Ham despite having had 2 weeks off, and dead on our feet today despite playing the best part of an hour against 10 men.

Is the training intensity too hard? Or not hard enough? There has to be something because the apparent fitness levels are poor.

Online danno

« Reply #4554 on: September 22, 2019, 08:33:01 PM »
The only thing I can think of is that maybe fronting up and saying "my fault lads, sorry" is letting the players off a bit lightly when he knows we're going to have to work just as hard to get anything from Burnley.

He may indeed feel privately that he cost us the game, but maybe he thinks admitting as much in public might not inspire much confidence in the 8 or so new players he's brought in.

At least he didn't blame something mental, like the placement of the away fans.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #4555 on: September 22, 2019, 08:35:34 PM »
Yes, first signs that cracks are starting to appear. Last weeks's set to between El Ghazi and Mings, now Smith mentioning players' mistakes in interviews.  Yes the players need to take responsibility, but Smith's game management has been atrocious for the most part.  We'd have crucified Bruce for thinking that bringing on Elmo as a winger was the answer to anything, so not sure why Smith should get a free pass for making the same sort of cock ups.
I agree with all of this. He resembled a frustrated fan who could see what was going on.

He could easily have changed the formation and strengthened the midfield,  but not once since has been here has he wavered from the 2 wide players and one forward. The difference is that Wesley is no Tammy and the wide players we have are not consistently good enough at this level.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #4556 on: September 22, 2019, 08:35:39 PM »
The improvement in the physical conditioning of PL players in the time we’ve been away seems to have caught us out a bit, I don’t think we’ve been the match of anyone we’ve played fitness wise.

The positive is that it should be the easiest thing to sort out.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4557 on: September 22, 2019, 08:36:32 PM »
At least he didn't blame something mental, like the placement of the away fans.

He didn't blame it, he said it was a good idea as it gave us an advantage and he wanted his club to look into doing the same.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #4558 on: September 22, 2019, 08:39:12 PM »
Does any other side play 4-3-3 regularly in the Prem? I can only think of Liverpool and their energy and the quality of their front three is obviously exceptional.
Most sides have two deep or holding midfield players and I fear Smith is so wedded to the current formation, it’s going to cost him his job. It’s definitely not right in away games.

Offline themossman

« Reply #4559 on: September 22, 2019, 08:43:13 PM »
Luiz being left out is a very weird one. I can understand nakamba getting the nod if we were picking one of them but we really could have done with luiz off the bench.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal