collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Goldie.7
[Today at 05:16:42 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:29:50 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:25:41 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Jhon Durán - signed by eamonn
[Today at 12:10:39 AM]

Cheeee-co-o-o-o-o-o by Steve kirk
[May 22, 2024, 10:35:14 PM]

Kits 24/25 by VillaTim
[May 22, 2024, 10:23:10 PM]

Season Tickets by London Villan
[May 22, 2024, 10:09:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1559006 times)

Offline XXVilla

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #3690 on: February 17, 2019, 02:54:57 PM »
Smith is not above criticism as his team selection showed yesterday, it is not working so why keep using it, try something else (i.e. 3-5-2, anything really, just mix it up), especially as he is supposed to be a coach.

Where would these mythical wing backs come from if we played 3-5-2 though ?

Because we sure as shit don't have any.

Gotta go 4-4-2 with McGinn out, but unfortunately we don’t have a middle 2 either

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #3691 on: February 17, 2019, 02:55:11 PM »
Smith is a passenger until the summer. Then he hits the driving seat with his own squad. Guardiola spoke last week about how hard it is to change a style of play. Stick with him, support him and see what happens next season.

That was Guardiola though

The guy who wins things and knows what he's talking about?

Well yes exactly

The Norwich sporting director said much the same thing as Guardiola the other day. That they could easily have binned their coach last season but they wanted to put in place a long term system beyond the current results so they kept him. Hasn't gone badly for them.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #3692 on: February 17, 2019, 02:55:16 PM »
Smith is not above criticism as his team selection showed yesterday, it is not working so why keep using it, try something else (i.e. 3-5-2, anything really, just mix it up), especially as he is supposed to be a coach.

Yeah we probably have the makings of a decent 3-5-2, other than arguably the most important part of that formation.

Offline VillaBoy_23

« Reply #3693 on: February 17, 2019, 03:08:20 PM »
The main thing that worries me about Smith is the guff he’s come out with in post match interviews. If he honestly thinks that some of the recent performances have been acceptable then he needs his eyes testing. I’m not expecting him to throw individuals under the bus but some balanced opinions about how certain aspects of our play aren’t good enough would be refreshing.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3694 on: February 17, 2019, 03:10:31 PM »

Yeah we probably have the makings of a decent 3-5-2, other than arguably the most important part of that formation.

Elmo at a push could probably have a stab on the right side.  On the left though, nope, not happening.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #3695 on: February 17, 2019, 04:05:19 PM »

Could the reasoning behind both Mings and Hause be with one eye on playing this formation in the future?

I struggled to see the logic of loaning both Mings and Hause but 3 at the back would explain it.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #3696 on: February 17, 2019, 04:18:54 PM »
He'll be here next season, at least for a while.

I've already seen enough to be sure that he won't be here long term though. He's not got it in him to take us back to where we want to be.

Looking at him lately, I think he knows it as well.

What have you detected from “looking at him” that gives you your insight?

Anyone who judges his long term prospects on trying to get a tune out of this bunch of misfits needs their bumps felt.

He looks like he hasn't got a clue what's going on, let alone now to change it.

If two players being absent is enough to expose his limitations to this degree, then he's not the manager most hoped for.

But, hey. Let him sign 18 of his own players and he'll have us playing like Brentford and finishing mid table.

I know it's only going to take another year or so of my life but, I can hardly wait.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #3697 on: February 17, 2019, 04:25:34 PM »

I've already seen enough to be sure that he won't be here long term though. He's not got it in him to take us back to where we want to be.

Anyone who judges his long term prospects on trying to get a tune out of this bunch of misfits needs their bumps felt.

If two players being absent is enough to expose his limitations to this degree, then he's not the manager most hoped for.

But, hey. Let him sign 18 of his own players and he'll have us playing like Brentford and finishing mid table.

I know it's only going to take another year or so of my life but, I can hardly wait.

So who would YOU bring in then?

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3698 on: February 17, 2019, 04:35:21 PM »

Give it a rest will you? You've been relentlessly on Smith's case for quite a while now

Offline Villa75

« Reply #3699 on: February 17, 2019, 04:35:40 PM »

So who would YOU bring in then?

Ah. That old chestnut. The manager might not be up to it, but who would a random stranger put forward that's not as shit? And if you can't think of a name we should keep the guy who's not up to it.

It's not up to me. There are people at the club paid a lot more than my wage to decide who.

If you pushed me into a corner though, I would have to say, someone better. You know, someone who can cope with losing two players without everything turning to shit for two months.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3700 on: February 17, 2019, 04:36:25 PM »
To be fair it IS the Dean Smith thread. 

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #3701 on: February 17, 2019, 04:36:57 PM »
Brendon Rodgers

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #3702 on: February 17, 2019, 04:37:35 PM »
He's got to show that he's got more in his locker than just sending the same formation out week after week and shuffling the deck chairs around a bit. If he can't and results continue towards the end of the season then he will be gone. Board room plans or not, no one can survive under the weight of huge, poor runs and performances.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #3703 on: February 17, 2019, 04:40:36 PM »

Give it a rest will you? You've been relentlessly on Smith's case for quite a while now

That's because he's had a playing shit "for quite a while".

You're blaming the wrong man here.

Plus, this being a Dean Smith thread, there'd be fuck all to talk about on here If we weren't allowed to post the truth about how shit we've been for two months.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3704 on: February 17, 2019, 04:41:42 PM »
I'd quite like to see what he does with his own squad to be honest.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal