collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[June 03, 2024, 10:41:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[June 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:53:28 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Re: Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Percy McCarthy
[June 03, 2024, 11:26:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1563809 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #3675 on: February 17, 2019, 11:10:14 AM »
Smith is a passenger until the summer. Then he hits the driving seat with his own squad. Guardiola spoke last week about how hard it is to change a style of play. Stick with him, support him and see what happens next season.

Amen.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #3676 on: February 17, 2019, 11:10:42 AM »
Smith is a passenger until the summer. Then he hits the driving seat with his own squad. Guardiola spoke last week about how hard it is to change a style of play. Stick with him, support him and see what happens next season.

That was Guardiola though

The guy who wins things and knows what he's talking about?

Offline Drummond

« Reply #3677 on: February 17, 2019, 11:19:58 AM »
Short of drafting in the U23s en masse, what can he do? If he did that, from what I've seen of those that have played, including today, they'd get ripped to bits every week. And then what? Cries of why does he let these kids get destroyed when we've got experienced pros on the bench?

Change the system? Why? We might as well have kept Bruce in that case. I'm assuming he was hired for a reason, and I bet it wasn't something as short term as seeing what he can get out of this rabble. If that was the case, we should've gone all out to get Pulis.

What we're seeing now isn't our future, it's the death throes of this sorry, inglorious decade. I'm certain of that.
I agree with every word.

Yep!

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #3678 on: February 17, 2019, 11:32:39 AM »
Short of drafting in the U23s en masse, what can he do? If he did that, from what I've seen of those that have played, including today, they'd get ripped to bits every week. And then what? Cries of why does he let these kids get destroyed when we've got experienced pros on the bench?

Change the system? Why? We might as well have kept Bruce in that case. I'm assuming he was hired for a reason, and I bet it wasn't something as short term as seeing what he can get out of this rabble. If that was the case, we should've gone all out to get Pulis.

What we're seeing now isn't our future, it's the death throes of this sorry, inglorious decade. I'm certain of that.
I agree with every word.

Yep!

Agreed also. I would like to see something of progression before the end of the season to build on. Too many more performances like y-day and more will question if he is the ‘right’ man.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3679 on: February 17, 2019, 12:25:14 PM »
This time 2 years ago, we were at the end of a 10 game winless run that effectively ended our play off ambitions. Bruce was 4 months into the job and not many were writing him off. Why is this situation any different? In fact, I feel more confident for the future under our current regime.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #3680 on: February 17, 2019, 12:29:18 PM »
I don’t think anyone is seriously calling for him to be sacked. But this is a Villa forum so questions about the players, Dean, tactics and formations are what the forum is about. If some posters are worried about the recent performances and results, I understand that. Some might question if he’s right for the future. Only time will tell.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3681 on: February 17, 2019, 12:31:40 PM »
I don’t think anyone is seriously calling for him to be sacked.

Really? I’m seeing a lot of that. It’s fine to question him and his decisions but wanting him sacked is ludicrous.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #3682 on: February 17, 2019, 12:35:23 PM »
I don’t think anyone is seriously calling for him to be sacked.

Really? I’m seeing a lot of that. It’s fine to question him and his decisions but wanting him sacked is ludicrous.

Agree completely, it’s crazy after four months. I was interested at what point it changes.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #3683 on: February 17, 2019, 01:20:32 PM »

What we're seeing now isn't our future, it's the death throes of this sorry, inglorious decade ...
I agree with your last sentence.
However I do think he could be trying different things - for example, Davis and Abraham upfront, with El Ghazi behind them and a MF three behind him.
Notwithstanding, the recent lack of energy and passion suggests to me that there is a swathe of players whose contracts are due to expire or who have been told are going to be offloaded, and they are just not putting in the effort required to compete at this level or who are not prepared to play to the Smith script.
close season should be really interesting.

Offline achilles

« Reply #3684 on: February 17, 2019, 01:22:04 PM »
Unfortunately, it may even get worse this season but we just have to suck it and see it through.

Smith is not above criticism as his team selection showed yesterday, it is not working so why keep using it, try something else (i.e. 3-5-2, anything really, just mix it up), especially as he is supposed to be a coach.

Anyway I will judge him next season at the very earliest when he has had the opportunity to get his own players in and most of the dead wood has disappeared.
Stability is essential at this point in time and even remotely thinking of changing the manager is utter nonsense! UTV

Offline Villa75

« Reply #3685 on: February 17, 2019, 01:26:34 PM »
He'll be here next season, at least for a while.

I've already seen enough to be sure that he won't be here long term though. He's not got it in him to take us back to where we want to be.

Looking at him lately, I think he knows it as well.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #3686 on: February 17, 2019, 01:47:10 PM »
He'll be here next season, at least for a while.

I've already seen enough to be sure that he won't be here long term though. He's not got it in him to take us back to where we want to be.

Looking at him lately, I think he knows it as well.

What have you detected from “looking at him” that gives you your insight?

Anyone who judges his long term prospects on trying to get a tune out of this bunch of misfits needs their bumps felt.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #3687 on: February 17, 2019, 02:29:19 PM »
Having mulled over the last shit result, my view is pretty much that his credentials as a good coach for the long term, based on ability to build a playing philosophy, probably still stand.

However it’s getting harder to ignore his apparent weaknesses in other areas that are also important, like motivating players, finding a way to win without his favoured line up and in game tactical changes.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #3688 on: February 17, 2019, 02:50:57 PM »

That was Guardiola though

The guy who wins things and knows what he's talking about?

Well yes exactly

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #3689 on: February 17, 2019, 02:52:37 PM »
Smith is not above criticism as his team selection showed yesterday, it is not working so why keep using it, try something else (i.e. 3-5-2, anything really, just mix it up), especially as he is supposed to be a coach.

Where would these mythical wing backs come from if we played 3-5-2 though ?

Because we sure as shit don't have any.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal