collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Stu
[Today at 08:54:34 PM]

Kits 24/25 by nigel
[Today at 08:53:25 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by brontebilly
[Today at 08:52:08 PM]

Season Tickets by VillaTim
[Today at 08:48:27 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[Today at 08:44:18 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 08:43:53 PM]

A few days in Athens by Russ aka Big Nose
[Today at 08:26:56 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by DeeBoy1
[Today at 08:23:42 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Stu
[Today at 08:54:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 08:54:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 08:53:31 PM]

Re: Kits 24/25 by nigel
[Today at 08:53:25 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by brontebilly
[Today at 08:52:08 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Russ aka Big Nose
[Today at 08:51:18 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Smithy
[Today at 08:51:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by wolfman999
[Today at 08:50:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1563724 times)

Offline footyskillz

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #3405 on: February 15, 2019, 05:48:22 AM »
There's no guarantee that Smith is the answer. I think I've seen enough to make me hope and believe things can improve.

But, and the poster who wants him sacked now wanted him sacked a month or two back, would have seen Farke sacked long ago. Wilder sacked last season for their run of form. Johnson sacked numerous times over at Bristol. Wagnar sacked at Huddersfield for not improving them in year 1. Monk sacked at the Blues for their awful start.

At some point we've got to back a plan. It doesn't mean you accept the form or performances now, but you understand the context.

Cultural changes take time. China have been engaged in a cultural revolution since the 70s, building high rises to draw peasents out of the countryside, to live in cities and place a demand for an increase to the service economy for the new urban workers. Britain took 100 years in the 19th century to do the same. The leap from Bruce to modernity is on a similar scale.

A pre-season helps, but the more you look around this league the overwhelming difference is legs, running, ticker, whatever you want to call it. We're relying on full backs, central midfielders and wide men who have none.

The player threads are full of it and rightly so. We have the right idea, whether we have the right man time will tell.

I think it's foolish to accept the run, but doubly so to not afford this manager the opportunity of his peers. I think it will work out.

Excellent post Ads.

Yep, spot on Ads. Great post.

Great post and sums up where I am too.

Footyskills, what planet are you on my friend?

?? Newby
Oh why are you referenced me ?
Are you thinking I'm the poster who being alluded to about being sacked ?

I'm not .

Let's make that clear .

All I've been with this coach is critiquing where he is with things like.

Like I have stated a good example is that has the ' chrissy wilder ' potential if it works out.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #3406 on: February 15, 2019, 05:57:21 AM »
Perhaps the situation here at villa is that not exactly lost the dressing room but the novelty of the new coach has worn off and several players aren't performing because they are not 100% bought in.

And that Smith has tried too much too soon with this squad and now it's non performing on a 90 minute basis.

There is a chance , because I believe he'll get plenty of time , a successful football philosophy under his regime can occurr in time . Like Brentford.

However there is also every chance this won't work out as the players and performance to end of season won't help his cause and that this time next year it be over.

It really is that touch and go as I see it.
It's so in the balance with the nature of how football clubs are run today to weather Smith be here in year time

however ideally Smith will be making the right moves and building and say in years time will see playing performance squad in a more suited state with a clear identity.

The competitive nature to the challenge of the promotion places currently and even moving forward is the main concern even if get the playing level improved I worry about the quality of player .

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #3407 on: February 15, 2019, 06:05:10 AM »
Give Smith a couple of transfer windows before judging him.

He has a preferred style of play which involves playing it out from the back and retaining possession, but the only defender capable of playing a pass is injured and it's made a big difference.

Once he's had a decent chance to put together a squad of his own choosing, we can start to decide whether he's the right man. Not before.

But I don't need to judge him on performance when he has his own team and squad as I already like the way smith wants his team to play football.

To me he's  the right man for the development side of things and building .
And the long game.

Have to say he has already been judged continuously in the job.

You and I, like many, have judged him too on his so called preferred playing style .

Also comments have helped reason to why the playing style isnt always being implemented in the team and squad he has picked.

If youre asking is he the right man in getting villa promotion?
Yes we will see about that over time
And that can only be judged on results and as you state a decent chance to put the squad together.

I can see that being 2 years from now which is ok and not ok.

Basically I'm wishing  in January 2020 competitive to the top 2 places in championship.
Though it could take longer

That's how I call it .
End of

Those who claim I speak nonsense on posts that's just an opinion not fact because I also make remarkable insightful ones too but as I say too much negative stuff going round with damped expectations and lack of critical thinking or alternative ideas being discussed with out being dismissed.

Boom.
up the villa

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3408 on: February 15, 2019, 06:52:19 AM »
Interesting technique.

I'm fucking brilliant me. Everything I say is right.

Online Drummond

« Reply #3409 on: February 15, 2019, 06:56:13 AM »
I'm fucking brilliant me. Everything I say is right.

Too right. This wins the Internet.

Boomshakalakaramalamadingdong

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #3410 on: February 15, 2019, 07:53:20 AM »
I think I missed the remarkably nsightful things.

Buried in all the keyboard frenzy perhaps.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 07:54:57 AM by brian green »

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3411 on: February 15, 2019, 09:06:45 AM »
I thought Skillz had  declared he was going into hiding for a while?

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #3412 on: February 15, 2019, 09:13:40 AM »
He's addicted to the love.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3413 on: February 15, 2019, 09:50:38 AM »
I understand what Skillzy is trying to say, even if not with the way he is saying it. He doesn't like negativity and that's fine but it's something he needs to get used to when on a football forum, especially sometimes on this one.  People wanted change, they wanted a manager like Dean Smith and they're disappointed with how it's going. They're disappointed that the kind of progressive manager they wanted after Bruce is not pulling up any trees at the moment. They're also annoyed with some of Smith's decisions. I get that and it needs to improve. By the same token, we need to stick with it. It will probably take a pre-season and his own players and so be it.

Online Drummond

« Reply #3414 on: February 15, 2019, 09:55:13 AM »
I understand what Skillzy is trying to say, even if not with the way he is saying it. He doesn't like negativity and that's fine but it's something he needs to get used to when on a football forum, especially sometimes on this one.  People wanted change, they wanted a manager like Dean Smith and they're disappointed with how it's going. They're disappointed that the kind of progressive manager they wanted after Bruce is not pulling up any trees at the moment. They're also annoyed with some of Smith's decisions. I get that and it needs to improve. By the same token, we need to stick with it. It will probably take a pre-season and his own players and so be it.

I think it will take some of next season too, so that the new players get used to playing together. It's just how this stuff works.

Online The Edge

« Reply #3415 on: February 15, 2019, 10:08:21 AM »
Rosler and Warburton were successful at Brentford (with better win ratios than Smith). Where are they now?

I get it. He did ok at a smaller club. He's a Villa fan. But, his players or not, he has to do better than he is doing at the moment. We're not only not winning, we look like we're going backwards!
Dean Smith has a track record of building teams to play in a certain way. We've seen first hand what those teams look like every time we've played Brentford in this league. He did it at Walsall then made the step up to do it at Brentford. There's no reason to think he won't do the same at Villa Park. But patience is the key. I'm certain the squad we're currently seeing will be unrecognisable in the near future but for fuck's sake give the man a chance to prove himself.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 10:15:24 AM by The Edge »

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #3416 on: February 15, 2019, 10:20:02 AM »
Rosler and Warburton were successful at Brentford (with better win ratios than Smith). Where are they now?

I get it. He did ok at a smaller club. He's a Villa fan. But, his players or not, he has to do better than he is doing at the moment. We're not only not winning, we look like we're going backwards!
Dean Smith has a track record of building teams to play in a certain way. We've seen first hand what those teams look like every time we've played Brentford in this league. He did it at Walsall then made the step up to do it at Brentford. There's no reason to think he won't do the same at Villa Park. But patience is the key. I'm certain the squad we're currently seeing will be unrecognisable in the near future but for fuck's sake give the man a chance to prove himself.

TE, Agree 100%

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #3417 on: February 15, 2019, 10:26:48 AM »
I don’t want him sacked but he needs to get more out of the players he’s currently got. We can’t keep saying that it’s not his team or players. If he has aspirations to be a successful manager then this excuse is just not good enough.

We can keep saying that. Because it's true.

And people saying to change the system to suit the players are barking up the wrong tree. Why play Steve Bruce football again? It doesn't bloody work.

Well this doesnt bloody work either

Because its short - term thinking to expect it to.

It’s not short term thinking to expect to be in the top half of the Champoinship whoever our manager or players are. He should be able to get a tune out of this lot.

No point playing death metal when the crowd want classical and nobody listens to death metal any more.

But then you have a band who can only play death metal and the show must go on so...

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #3418 on: February 15, 2019, 10:48:29 AM »
I don’t want him sacked but he needs to get more out of the players he’s currently got. We can’t keep saying that it’s not his team or players. If he has aspirations to be a successful manager then this excuse is just not good enough.

We can keep saying that. Because it's true.

And people saying to change the system to suit the players are barking up the wrong tree. Why play Steve Bruce football again? It doesn't bloody work.

Well this doesnt bloody work either

Because its short - term thinking to expect it to.

It’s not short term thinking to expect to be in the top half of the Champoinship whoever our manager or players are. He should be able to get a tune out of this lot.

No point playing death metal when the crowd want classical and nobody listens to death metal any more.

But then you have a band who can only play death metal and the show must go on so...

Then expect the audience to do little more than look on disdainfully until the band exeunt stage left.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #3419 on: February 15, 2019, 10:49:24 AM »
Insightful my arse.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal