collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1548321 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #14610 on: September 29, 2021, 11:32:03 AM »
He'll certainly be in the mix along with likes of Potter and inevitable big name like Gerrard.

And John Terry.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #14611 on: September 29, 2021, 11:41:38 AM »
Dean Smith's been the favourite for a while followed by Eddie Howe and Sean Dyche.

As an Ireland fan I'd like it to be Howe, if I were an England fan I'd go for Potter or $tevie Mbe.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14612 on: September 29, 2021, 11:57:15 AM »
He'll certainly be in the mix along with likes of Potter and inevitable big name like Gerrard.
It's not going to be a concern for the foreseeable future. Southgate ticks all the FA boxes even though he blew England's best chance of winning something in 55 years with his ultra Conservative style. I think Smith is going to be England manager at some point but not until he's stocked up our trophy cabinet a bit.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #14613 on: September 29, 2021, 12:03:40 PM »
It will probably be the logical step in about 5-6 years, as two thirds of the England team are made up of our academy players.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #14614 on: September 29, 2021, 01:53:06 PM »
It's not going to be a concern for the foreseeable future. Southgate ticks all the FA boxes even though he blew England's best chance of winning something in 55 years with his ultra Conservative style. I think Smith is going to be England manager at some point but not until he's stocked up our trophy cabinet a bit.

Yeah if Southgate wants it he'll be there until 2026 world cup I think (unless England bomb out of group stages of next world cup or something). Seems though he's stalling on new contract and wants to go back into club football after next world cup but he'd just get exposed.

As for other options Howe's stock is lower now than 2-3 years back and he seemingly didn't want the Celtic job due to the pressure you get so can't see him fancying it. And well Dyche's football really isn't great so can't see him being a good fit for this squad.

DS will certainly be in the mix. Fits the low profile guy in media the FA generally like to pick and if he's qualified us for europe by time job comes up again he'd be one of the best domestic candidates anyway.

Hope it dosen't happen but the positive is some really good managers would consider us if we're finishing top 6 by then. I reckon for one Pochettino would be interested if he's out of a job at that point.

Similar job to when he took over Spurs, young squad that can improve further and go upwards in the league with more backing.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #14615 on: September 29, 2021, 02:01:32 PM »
IF Smith is in a position to be offered the England job that would mean over a period of time he has us as a firm top 6 side, probably challenging or even in the top 4.  If that's is the case then I just can't see him taking it.  Why would he when with our owners the sky is the limit? 

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #14616 on: September 29, 2021, 02:08:35 PM »
But it makes me laugh how this place is a bit manic.  After a few games last season we had people predicting top 6 and confidently staing our squad was better than Spurs, Everton and Arsenal.  After Christmas we had 'Smith out' because we were in a terrible run.

This summer Smith had probbaly found his level and taken us as far as he can - 10-12th being the max we could hope for.  After 3 games we were struggling and more Smith out rumblings.  We win 2 games and suddenly we're top 6 material again and worried about Smith being poached by England.

I appreciate I am paraphrasing the more exteme positions from differenent posters at different ends ofd the spectrum, but even so it just shows as the late, great Jimmy used to say, it's a funny old game.

Always a roller coaster with Villa.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14617 on: September 29, 2021, 02:21:10 PM »
IF Smith is in a position to be offered the England job that would mean over a period of time he has us as a firm top 6 side, probably challenging or even in the top 4.  If that's is the case then I just can't see him taking it.  Why would he when with our owners the sky is the limit? 

I don't think getting the England manager job reauires such lofty achievements. Certainly Southgate, Hodgson, Allardyce and McLaren weren't perennial top 6 worriers.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #14618 on: September 29, 2021, 02:27:49 PM »
Yup. It's only one notch above Scotland job.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #14619 on: September 29, 2021, 02:31:13 PM »

I don't think getting the England manager job reauires such lofty achievements. Certainly Southgate, Hodgson, Allardyce and McLaren weren't perennial top 6 worriers.
Maybe, but if we're not in the top 6 by then I don't think he'll be Villa manager anyway, so it won't be our problem.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #14620 on: September 29, 2021, 03:41:39 PM »
It will probably be the logical step in about 5-6 years, as two thirds of the England team are made up of our academy players.

Very good point

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #14621 on: September 30, 2021, 01:48:45 PM »
Bollocks. Nominated for September's Manager Of The Month.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #14622 on: September 30, 2021, 03:16:06 PM »
Smithys credentials would already be good enough for the England job. Southgates credentials were laughable. He got Middlesbrough to 12th then relegated the following season. By those standards the FA would appoint Barry Fry if he wasn't so opinionated. But I do not wish to see Dean Smith go anywhere in the next 5/10 seasons by which time we will be dominating Europe.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #14623 on: September 30, 2021, 04:01:58 PM »
Well deserved.

Offline wince

« Reply #14624 on: September 30, 2021, 06:13:34 PM »
Dean’s going nowhere. Relax folks

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal