collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1540152 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #14250 on: September 15, 2021, 11:50:04 AM »
What I do not understand is why after the unsettled start to the season we then add further disruption to the team by going to the European Champions with a completely different defensive system.

Yet we managed to deliver probably the best performance of 2021. We've served up some real tripe this year even with Joe in the team but Saturday was at times real big boys football. The challenge will be to not only raise our game against the top 4/6 but to do it against the lesser/bottom half teams, something we struggled with last season.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #14251 on: September 15, 2021, 01:20:12 PM »
What I do not understand is why after the unsettled start to the season we then add further disruption to the team by going to the European Champions with a completely different defensive system.

Yet we managed to deliver probably the best performance of 2021. We've served up some real tripe this year even with Joe in the team but Saturday was at times real big boys football. The challenge will be to not only raise our game against the top 4/6 but to do it against the lesser/bottom half teams, something we struggled with last season.
it was a performance defined by poor defending and a 3 nil loss.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #14252 on: September 15, 2021, 01:44:03 PM »
In the podcast Dean talks about his time visiting the Milwaulkee Bucks and walking into the changing room - can anyone remember when that was ?

It's good listen...removed Dean from the "Yeah, no" scripted weekly pressers that he/we're subjected to.
Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/show/2mj53XXpfrn55zW8ZxuKwx

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #14253 on: September 15, 2021, 01:44:14 PM »

I disagree. The result was defined by that, definitely.  The performance, no, not so much.  It's why 'result' and 'performance' are not synonymous, and how they often don't align.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #14254 on: September 15, 2021, 08:24:49 PM »
2 individual mistakes and a world class striker at one end, with a striker playing his first game of the season and lacking match sharpness the other.

The bigger worry for me is the longer stats, something like a point a game over the last 30 or so games, which is what ultimately needs to improve rapidly.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #14255 on: September 15, 2021, 11:27:16 PM »
Saul was having an awful debut too, it was pretty easy to call that one.

He was but didn't Drinkwater last about 70 minutes v Man. City even though he was just as bad. Mind you we were 3 or 4 nil down at half time so wouldn't have made any difference.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #14256 on: September 15, 2021, 11:29:29 PM »

We once lost 7-1 at Chelsea and finished 6th.

I do think if we can play to that standard on Saturday we'll get points off Everton and Spurs as we'll score a couple v them. Lukaku is also arguably most inform striker in world football last 12 months aswell.

If the prism of the season is judging every aspect of team and manager v Chelsea then I'm afraid many people are setting themselves up for huge disappointment.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #14257 on: September 15, 2021, 11:52:08 PM »

I do think if we can play to that standard on Saturday we'll get points off Everton and Spurs as we'll score a couple v them. Lukaku is also arguably most inform striker in world football last 12 months aswell.

If the prism of the season is judging every aspect of team and manager v Chelsea then I'm afraid many people are setting themselves up for huge disappointment.

It's a deliberately contrived view. If you couldn't see a positive out of Saturday then I wouldn't bother with the remaining games.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #14258 on: September 16, 2021, 12:35:56 AM »

Matching up formation wise to Chelsea was hardly a surprise. Not much to lose and with Tuanzebe coming in we were always going to try 3 CBs at some stage. Ideal time to do it after the international break and considering the opposition. 

There was little to suggest in the first few games that the team setup was working well anyway. With Bailey getting fitter, it is unlikely to be retained too often. But the positive is that the three in midfield set up worked well. Deano can't be held responsible for the ricks that Mings and Watkins made that cost us the game. I'd look at the positives here, Deano tried a new formation. Players are coming back to fitness and we are better prepared for some key games coming up.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14259 on: September 16, 2021, 12:41:14 AM »

I'd look at the positives here

Fucking hell, bronte, that'll take some processing!

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #14260 on: September 16, 2021, 12:47:23 AM »

Minor point but that title belongs to lewandowski. lukaku, haaland, mbappe and kane have all been a level below him for a while now.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #14261 on: September 16, 2021, 02:08:54 AM »
It does surprise me how little credit in the bank Smith seems to have with a number of our supporters.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14262 on: September 16, 2021, 07:37:33 AM »
The trouble is how often have we said "if we play like that all season we'll be fine" to then not go and play anywhere near as well in the next game.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #14263 on: September 16, 2021, 08:00:42 AM »
The trouble is how often have we said "if we play like that all season we'll be fine" to then not go and play anywhere near as well in the next game.

How many times have we heard that over the years? “This is the standard, this is our benchmark” and then play nowhere near that standard.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14264 on: September 16, 2021, 09:23:34 AM »

How many times have we heard that over the years? “This is the standard, this is our benchmark” and then play nowhere near that standard.

Yep. Perfect example last season, stuff Liverpool at home and then deservedly beat Leicester away, to ship 7 goals in losing to Leeds and Southampton at home.  Beat Leeds away, then lost at home to Sheffield United. I guess that's football to an extent, but Smith's teams always seem to struggle with consistency.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal