collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1548593 times)

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #14235 on: September 14, 2021, 09:36:31 PM »
Some managers (Bruce) deserve all the stick they get. A manager who hits every target he's given doesn't.

How do you know what his targets have been? I don't recall Purslow saying he wanted to stay up by the skin of our teeth first season back, in fact I distinctly remember him saying the exact opposite.

I can't know for sure, but I suspect he'll be out of a job as soon as he stops hitting them.
Think he would be gone as soon as they think this is the case.  Think hes doing great - still learning but hes had a tough start this season.  End of the day the circus was because of the 100m buy out clause and he didnt negotate that

I think you'll find that he identifies all the signings, negotiates the contracts and chairs the balti pie committee!

I knew something was...well, not fishy, but you know what I mean.

I think people underestimating the value of having superduperclub money with which to build your squad need to remember that last year's runners-up were, and are currently, coached by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14236 on: September 14, 2021, 09:38:22 PM »
Some managers (Bruce) deserve all the stick they get. A manager who hits every target he's given doesn't.

How do you know what his targets have been? I don't recall Purslow saying he wanted to stay up by the skin of our teeth first season back, in fact I distinctly remember him saying the exact opposite.

I can't know for sure, but I suspect he'll be out of a job as soon as he stops hitting them.
Think he would be gone as soon as they think this is the case.  Think hes doing great - still learning but hes had a tough start this season.  End of the day the circus was because of the 100m buy out clause and he didnt negotate that

I think you'll find that he identifies all the signings, negotiates the contracts and chairs the balti pie committee!

I knew something was...well, not fishy, but you know what I mean.

I think people underestimating the value of having superduperclub money with which to build your squad need to remember that last year's runners-up were, and are currently, coached by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

They're still unFergusoning themselves.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #14237 on: September 14, 2021, 09:49:59 PM »
There a podacast interview with him, done during the internation break.

Part one is out now.  There's links in this tweet, but you'll find it if you just search The Big Interview with Graham Hunter.   

https://twitter.com/BumperGraham/status/1437673437556785153

This is a great listen. He rarely plays the Villa-fan card in traditional media so it's good to hear him talking about Sid/Shaw/Mortimer etc.

Edit: he also talks about the Man City player.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #14238 on: September 14, 2021, 09:57:52 PM »
There a podacast interview with him, done during the internation break.

Part one is out now.  There's links in this tweet, but you'll find it if you just search The Big Interview with Graham Hunter.   

https://twitter.com/BumperGraham/status/1437673437556785153

This is a great listen. He rarely plays the Villa-fan card in traditional media so it's good to hear him talking about Sid/Shaw/Mortimer etc.

Edit: he also talks about the Man City player.

Thanks for the Content Warning.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #14239 on: September 14, 2021, 10:33:50 PM »
John, I think that's why some play a technically gifted full back or midfielder in the back 3 at times, to allow you to not lose the attacking edge of having a hoofing defender there.

I'm fairly sure Luiz played a few times for Girona in his season there in a back 3 so that may be worth considering especially if we finally sign a DM in January.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #14240 on: September 15, 2021, 07:08:24 AM »
What I do not understand is why after the unsettled start to the season we then add further disruption to the team by going to the European Champions with a completely different defensive system.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #14241 on: September 15, 2021, 07:21:16 AM »
What I do not understand is why after the unsettled start to the season we then add further disruption to the team by going to the European Champions with a completely different defensive system.

Well funny enough, it’s seems the general consensus on here, more have been very positive about this formation than not. I must admit I’m not a fan, but if we can play like that and avoid the mistakes it looked a good system.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #14242 on: September 15, 2021, 07:35:51 AM »
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. He's long been accused of intransigence, yet gets criticised when he changes things.

For some being proved right about Smith appears to take precedence over the progress of the team and it absolutely baffles me. Had he done a "Bruce" and went into the match with that formation with the intention to defend and "nick one" then I would be joining in with the criticism but he didn't. It was all but a hiding to nothing given the disparity in resources, but at least we tried and that is all I ask for. The supporters have come out of the match relatively optimistic, I'd like to think the players and the staff have as well.

I'll reserve any criticism for when I believe it's warranted, not because of any doubts I have about the managers ability.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #14243 on: September 15, 2021, 08:15:47 AM »
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. He's long been accused of intransigence, yet gets criticised when he changes things.
For some being proved right about Smith appears to take precedence over the progress of the team and it absolutely baffles me. Had he done a "Bruce" and went into the match with that formation with the intention to defend and "nick one" then I would be joining in with the criticism but he didn't. It was all but a hiding to nothing given the disparity in resources, but at least we tried and that is all I ask for. The supporters have come out of the match relatively optimistic, I'd like to think the players and the staff have as well.

I'll reserve any criticism for when I believe it's warranted, not because of any doubts I have about the managers ability.

Good post Nev. Nail on head re bold bit also.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #14244 on: September 15, 2021, 08:33:20 AM »

I lost count of how many times you whinged last season (or the season before, the posts all seem to blend) that we stuck to the same formation. You seem hard to please.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #14245 on: September 15, 2021, 08:43:58 AM »
he'll be judged as every other manager is on results and it's not unreasonable that he will be under severe pressure if we don't get  any in the next three games. Our recent record against Everton is good but Rafa has got them playing well and they won't be easy to beat.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #14246 on: September 15, 2021, 09:16:47 AM »

I wouldn't worry, I'm not sure understanding it would make any difference.

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #14247 on: September 15, 2021, 10:53:55 AM »
3-4-3 and 3-5-2 have worked for several teams, and there were signs of promise in it the other night, but for me we are better suited to 4-3-3. The key will be giving Bert or Bailey free reign to drift in behind Ollie.

I do think though you look at how quickly, on a very small summer budget, Benitez has got Everton firing, and it shows you what the top managers can do. For me Smith is short of that level. Tuchel made changes at half time that contained us and we looked half as threatening. Benitez changed shape last night and changed the game from 1-0 down. The top managers have ways to change the course of games that in don't have confidence in Smith doing. Lose at the weekend, the Spurs game becomes a pretty big one very early in the season. Get to 9-10  games in on 5-6 points we are in a relegation battle.

Not sure bring on the UEFA Player of the Year is a tactical stretch that other managers wouldn't have thought of.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #14248 on: September 15, 2021, 11:29:57 AM »
Saul was having an awful debut too, it was pretty easy to call that one.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #14249 on: September 15, 2021, 11:44:57 AM »
Saul was having an awful debut too, it was pretty easy to call that one.

It was relatively easy to call that he would be replaced by Jorginho at half time too. Not sure what we could have done to negate that, mind.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal