collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

Swing-O-Meter 2020/21 Season... now only 5.3% Fulham by cdbullyweefan
[Today at 10:54:39 AM]

I know this is REALLY fucking stupid, however... by OzVilla
[Today at 10:43:39 AM]

Penalty taker by Mister E
[Today at 09:47:33 AM]

John Terry - Confirmed Assistant Coach by Mister E
[Today at 09:36:11 AM]

Jack Grealish - for life? by aj2k77
[Today at 09:26:08 AM]

West Ham vs Aston Villa post match thread by The Edge
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

January Transfer Window by algy
[Today at 08:25:27 AM]

Gabby Agbonlahor by robbo1874
[Today at 08:24:50 AM]

November 30, 2020, 02:14:45 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 297 | Comments: 3

It was a very good year. It wa...
November 28, 2020, 04:35:47 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 246 | Comments: 0

Long -time H&V stalwart Simon ...
November 26, 2020, 05:50:55 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 871 | Comments: 13

Coming to Villa Park in Octobe...
November 23, 2020, 04:23:08 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 630 | Comments: 4

These days a ten year old is l...
November 20, 2020, 12:28:50 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 531 | Comments: 3

In the euphoria of the resumpt...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 688782 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Our FB Page
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #10305 on: September 29, 2020, 10:35:43 PM »
Totally. I was wrong. Quite happy to admit it. Humble pie was eaten ages ago.

Offline Monty

• GM : 26.08.2019
« Reply #10306 on: September 29, 2020, 10:39:26 PM »
Really hoping I was wrong, and am encouraged very much by the signs so far this season.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #10307 on: September 29, 2020, 10:42:27 PM »
Isn't this when we offer him a new contract and six months later things have gone to shit and many want him out?!

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10308 on: September 29, 2020, 10:49:37 PM »
I always said he was the next Ron Saunders and look forward to reminding the doubters of this for many years to come. Truly, I am a better fan than you all.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #10309 on: September 29, 2020, 10:51:05 PM »
Really hoping I was wrong, and am encouraged very much by the signs so far this season.

I was very critical and I still feel I was right to be. He saved his Villa career by using the break to fundamentally change how we played games. And we have become much better organized and disciplined because of it. But even yesterday we saw signs where instead of taking the game to a much weaker team and controlling possession, we allowed them too much of the ball for long periods. We can not afford to do that against the better sides. But so far, so good. Cannot really be critical about a 4 win start. I hope it continues.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 23.05.2016
« Reply #10310 on: September 29, 2020, 10:52:15 PM »
Dean Smith made mistakes in his first season in the top flight. This is hardly unusual. The important question is did he learn from them. So far it looks promising.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10311 on: September 29, 2020, 10:55:47 PM »
He's doing the business. As soon as he isn't there will be no shortage of people lining up to call him a c*nt. Let's just enjoy it while it lasts.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10312 on: September 29, 2020, 10:58:36 PM »

I was very critical and I still feel I was right to be. He saved his Villa career by using the break to fundamentally change how we played games. And we have become much better organized and disciplined because of it. But even yesterday we saw signs where instead of taking the game to a much weaker team and controlling possession, we allowed them too much of the ball for long periods. We can not afford to do that against the better sides. But so far, so good. Cannot really be critical about a 4 win start. I hope it continues.

Was that a mistake or was it a case of the game's won, it's a long season and we've still got a thin squad so let's not cause ourselves any undue problems?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #10313 on: September 29, 2020, 11:10:50 PM »

Was that a mistake or was it a case of the game's won, it's a long season and we've still got a thin squad so let's not cause ourselves any undue problems?

I jumped onto the match thread at around 30 mins in, and laughed to myself at some of the hysterical comments. It's been a long time since I felt that relaxed watching the Villa, we were completely dominant, even when we hadn't got the ball, Christ, even when they were crossing it.

Anyway, I'm a better fan than the lot of you, I didn't waiver at all. He's absolutely the right person at the right time for this job, and that doesn't happen very often.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #10314 on: September 29, 2020, 11:40:33 PM »

Itís very possible that we paced ourselves last night. That we had the confidence of taking control when we needed to. We certainly only allowed them to play in their own half or in non threatening spaces. We need to add to the squad so itís deeper and the talent level doesnít drop off so quickly. That still a concern which I hope is addressed between now and mid October. But encouraging signs and we have a proper test on Sunday to see just how far weíve come. We could very well lose but it will be more about how we play.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #10315 on: September 30, 2020, 12:00:46 AM »
I thought last night was a very good performance because we played like a team who knew the game was won after 15minutes. We didn't need to boss possession or constantly press, we just held them at arms length and let them persist with throwing poor crosses over that were of no threat.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #10316 on: September 30, 2020, 12:07:20 AM »
I always said he was the next Ron Saunders and look forward to reminding the doubters of this for many years to come. Truly, I am a better fan than you all.

Would be happy with the next Brian Little, top again and a trophy win in next 5 years sounds very good to me and would certainly give him legendary status at this club for a lifetime.

Offline Monty

• GM : 26.08.2019
« Reply #10317 on: September 30, 2020, 12:11:11 AM »
I thought we didn't look too comfortable in possession last night, sure, but then last week we had fecking 72% of the ball, and looked far less dangerous! There's more than one way to skin a cat, and yesterday was clearly a game for Klopp's 'pressing is the best playmaker' thing - every time we won the ball high or in midfield we looked like we could be in within one pass.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 12:12:55 AM by Monty »

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #10318 on: September 30, 2020, 12:11:44 AM »
I thought last night was a very good performance because we played like a team who knew the game was won after 15minutes. We didn't need to boss possession or constantly press, we just held them at arms length and let them persist with throwing poor crosses over that were of no threat.

Yep same for me. Yesterday had the air of a mid table team swatting away one bound for relegation. It was what was happening to us away to Sheffield United and at home to Southampton in December last year and both of them were well clear of relegation in the end.

Caution is always waiting 10 games in to properly judge a season as I remember thinking Lambert had cracked it after beating Arsenal away in first game in his second season and everything quickly went s*** again but DS has a better overall squad and clearly has had a good rethink in last few months that's it's o.k to play a pragmatic style in the premier league. We are thriving from it now.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #10319 on: September 30, 2020, 12:24:42 AM »
I thought we didn't look too comfortable in possession last night, sure, but then last week we had fecking 72% of the ball, and looked far less dangerous! There's more than one way to skin a cat, and yesterday was clearly a game for Klopp's 'pressing is the best playmaker' thing - every time we won the ball high or in midfield we looked like we could be in within one pass.

I'd happily go back to being a pure counter attacking side. With the players we've added and hopefully can add further like Rashica who looks pacy when running with the ball we now have the ability to stretch teams when they leave space.

I know a few turned their noses up at the football we played under MON but generally it suited our squad down to a t although of course frustrating we didn't have a Grealish type creative player in the squad who could've made a difference in the million home draws we had.

When you look at the top premier league teams now only Man. City play the Wenger type possesion style, all the others are just about winning the ball back quickly in the midfield and quickly getting it up to the rapid forwards like Son, Adama, Rashford Vardy, Kane, Aubameyang, Pulisic, Mane and Salah to do the rest.

To be a top premier league side you need lots of speed in the final third so we're finally addressing it as it was a huge weakness last season. Top end of premier league is even more counter attack than it ever was as reflected in the mediocre performances of Man. United, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal so far.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 12:26:48 AM by SoccerHQ »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal