collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next manager?  (Read 330305 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Next manager?
« Reply #645 on: September 25, 2018, 10:20:04 AM »
But they're Liverpool. If we wanted Fulham's or Swansea's manager at the same time they did (which was, I believe, the case when they/we wanted Rodgers from Swansea) we're not going to prevail.

Even so we were, in fact, shopping in the same market as Liverpool at the time, whereas you said we weren't and couldn't.  Admittedly we'd be highly unlikely to attract the calibre of Klopp, especially given the contrasting trajectories of the two clubs since 2012, but just because Rodgers managed Liverpool doesn't make him anything particularly special and certainly not out of our league.     
The questions that arise from this are: who is the next Klopp, and could we lure him before they rise above our ability to attract them?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #646 on: September 25, 2018, 02:38:25 PM »
to be better than Bruce is not going to be hard, but I wouldn't want Rogers

always comes over as a bit of a twat and bullshitter I think,
 I know that's not a good enough reason but it's good enough for me

Amusingly he plays exactly the type of football you're constantly demanding.

I've changed my mind already, come on down

Online tomd2103

« Reply #647 on: September 25, 2018, 02:40:56 PM »
But they're Liverpool. If we wanted Fulham's or Swansea's manager at the same time they did (which was, I believe, the case when they/we wanted Rodgers from Swansea) we're not going to prevail.

Even so we were, in fact, shopping in the same market as Liverpool at the time, whereas you said we weren't and couldn't.  Admittedly we'd be highly unlikely to attract the calibre of Klopp, especially given the contrasting trajectories of the two clubs since 2012, but just because Rodgers managed Liverpool doesn't make him anything particularly special and certainly not out of our league.     
The questions that arise from this are: who is the next Klopp, and could we lure him before they rise above our ability to attract them?

First question - probably this guy:

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/julian-nagelsmann-10-things-on-hoffenheim-best-young-coach-in-germany-473225.jsp

Second question - probably already has!!

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #648 on: September 25, 2018, 02:55:15 PM »

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/julian-nagelsmann-10-things-on-hoffenheim-best-young-coach-in-germany-473225.jsp

Nice work, Tom. Go get him!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #649 on: September 25, 2018, 03:12:57 PM »
I’d take Ted Rogers, let alone Brendan, over the clown we have today

Good shout.  He did very well with his groundbreaking 3-2-1 formation back in the day.

If his team talks were as confusing as his prize clues I would rather stick with Steve Bruce. Although it says something about how much people want Bruce replaced when our shortlist includes dead people.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #650 on: September 25, 2018, 03:17:07 PM »
In three years at Liverpool Rodgers finished 7th, 2nd and 6th and got to two losing semi finals, one in each domestic cup. That isn't the sort of three year record that buys you more time at a top Premier League club like Liverpool.

8th, 4th and 4th has been enough for Klopp.

Fair point, but 8th, 4th, 4th and a Champions League final suggests progress more than 7th, 2nd, 6th and a couple of domestic semi final defeats.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #651 on: September 25, 2018, 03:50:22 PM »
I’d take Ted Rogers, let alone Brendan, over the clown we have today

Good shout.  He did very well with his groundbreaking 3-2-1 formation back in the day.

If his team talks were as confusing as his prize clues I would rather stick with Steve Bruce. Although it says something about how much people want Bruce replaced when our shortlist includes dead people.

Dead game show hosts who never worked in football too.  I think the fans are turning, slowly.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #652 on: September 25, 2018, 04:09:32 PM »

Fuck me can we have him now please - I mean today in readiness for Friday

What a refreshing outlook on football

Offline Pvb1968

« Reply #653 on: September 25, 2018, 04:18:42 PM »
Wow,   that shows how the modern game is moving forward.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #654 on: September 25, 2018, 04:24:07 PM »
I actually think some of these players now are getting fed up with it and it is evident in their play. Now that the old pro's like Terry and Snodgrass have gone they have only SB to listen to and it must be painful.
There will be others that support him - Chester, Jedinak, Hutton et al - but they play every week

I also think that we had an upturn in attacking form when Agnew arrived and he was very much at the front of the technical box shouting instructions - now he has a much more reserved role and its back with the geniuses that are Clemence and Calderwood.

There would be a positive effect if he went and we had no one - that's how bad I think it has gone.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #655 on: September 25, 2018, 04:24:31 PM »
He'll never make it long term, no mention of players putting their boots on.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #656 on: September 25, 2018, 04:47:52 PM »
Just please not the likes of Allardyce, Pardew, Curbishley (whose name always seems to come up in the betting) and others like them.  I couldn't bear that.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #657 on: September 25, 2018, 04:54:29 PM »
Just please not the likes of Allardyce, Pardew, Curbishley (whose name always seems to come up in the betting) and others like them.  I couldn't bear that.

I know, it's torturous to see clubs like Watford appoint people like Marco Silva while we seem to be stuck leafing through the Least Inspiring Managers Of 2005 catalogue.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #658 on: September 25, 2018, 04:59:18 PM »

I know, it's torturous to see clubs like Watford appoint people like Marco Silva while we seem to be stuck leafing through the Least Inspiring Managers Of 2005 catalogue.

I reckon even we could get an out of work manager whose last job was with Hull. Oh.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #659 on: September 25, 2018, 07:25:49 PM »

Fuck me can we have him now please - I mean today in readiness for Friday

What a refreshing outlook on football

and it another Yes from me

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal