collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:25:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Yannick Bolasie - Returned to Everton  (Read 83011 times)

Offline LukeJames

Re: Yannick Bolasie - Returned to Everton
« Reply #600 on: January 22, 2019, 10:42:57 PM »
When did the owners tell all and sundry that we don't need to worry about promotion?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #601 on: January 22, 2019, 11:14:41 PM »
Here?

I thought that's what we've been doing for the last few seasons/managers?

I'd rather get promoted, by book or by crook, gaining millions to help us rebuild and becoming a more attractive proposition to decent players.

Telling a squad they don't need to worry about promotion, at a club expected to be challenging, is rarely going to have them busting a gut. It might even have them thinking, 'why am I here?'

Close enough at least.

Nowhere near.

Also, it's the owners telling all and sundry they don't need to worry about failure, not the manager.

It's not impossible it will have some negative effect on all concerned, including Smith.

I've never been in a job where the owners tell everyone not to worry about failure but, if they had, I can certainly see it would hardly have a motivating effect. Quite the opposite for some.

As far as I'm concerned there's not a huge amount between suggesting players are questioning why they're here and saying players don't want to play for the manager, as I said, it's close enough that I'm not surprised someone mistook a comment like that as being yours. I know it's not the manager you're pointing fingers at with it but you suggested that the motivation/morale had gone and that just doesn't stand up to scrutiny, we've just not played very well, there are reasons for it (which probably don't belong on this thread) but a lack of motivation isn't high on that list.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #602 on: January 22, 2019, 11:38:08 PM »
When did the owners tell all and sundry that we don't need to worry about promotion?

They didn't. Purslow just said it wasn't imperative promotion was achieved this season and that essentially it was far more importantly we build for a sustainable future. What most took from that is let's invest wisely, don't take short term positions like we have done with a number of the signings and loans we've made often of crazy contracts to secure a fast return to the PL. Instead buy wisely, invest in our academy system and implement a sensible longer term plan for success.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #603 on: January 23, 2019, 12:21:23 AM »

They didn't. Purslow just said it wasn't imperative promotion was achieved this season and that essentially it was far more importantly we build for a sustainable future. What most took from that is let's invest wisely, don't take short term positions like we have done with a number of the signings and loans we've made often of crazy contracts to secure a fast return to the PL. Instead buy wisely, invest in our academy system and implement a sensible longer term plan for success.

Hopefully Purslow really isn't bluffing as I pretty much remember Wyness saying the same stuff at some point last season.

The reality is we need to get promoted sooner or later. Not just for club prestige but we will be losing parachute payments soon which has helped us fund  our transfer sprees down here and obviously FFP becomes more of an issue each season we don't go up.

At least a slower transfer window means the team might be developed naturally for once rather than quick fixes all over the 11. One thing they have got right is to lower the average age of the squad but that's more likely to fully happen in the summer.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #604 on: January 23, 2019, 12:31:38 AM »
I can imagine for health and well being Bolasie  had to go as he was causing Deano upset both on and off the ball with his pressing.

Smithy repeatedly shouted "Yannick attack"

Bolasie thought the usually calm Smith was suffering and did the decent thing and terminated his loan.

Offline godzvilla

« Reply #605 on: January 23, 2019, 03:59:10 PM »
BoLassie gone home !.................................Godzvilla!

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #606 on: January 23, 2019, 04:13:32 PM »
BoLassie gone home !.................................Godzvilla!

made me snigger

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #607 on: January 23, 2019, 05:12:42 PM »
Poor old Everton fans, along with Walcott, they've now got 2 crap wingers on their books.

Offline Confusious says

« Reply #608 on: January 23, 2019, 06:26:02 PM »
Middlesbrough apparently trying to offload some, in order to take Bolasie
now we have got him fitter & given him game time

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #609 on: January 23, 2019, 06:37:20 PM »
And a kick up the arse.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #610 on: January 23, 2019, 06:48:47 PM »
I bet Boro wouldn't be paying the full £70k a week whack if they did get him in like we were. Purslow was very clear at the Trust AGM about clearing dead wood and money hungry shit contracts out. This is just the start.

He did put his cards in but after DS made his role over the next few months clear.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #611 on: January 23, 2019, 07:27:33 PM »
Without exception every Evertonian I have spoken with is totally underwhelmed at his return to Merseyside - says it all about the player

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #612 on: January 23, 2019, 07:40:29 PM »
Without exception every Evertonian I have spoken with is totally underwhelmed at his return to Merseyside - says it all about the player

And the fact that they have to fork out the princely sum, sorry, wasted sum, of 75k a week.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #613 on: January 23, 2019, 10:28:48 PM »
I think it's relevant who activated it.  If it was activated by us you may think it was part of a wider plan

Yes I agree with this. Bolasie activating it gives more cause for concern. From what I saw against Swansea in the cup, away at Wigan and the first half against Hull, it looked like the players had no interest in playing for the manager. Whatever your thoughts on his performances, Bolasie choosing to go back only adds to that impression. It was hardly as though he was sitting on the bench every week

The players had no interest playing for the manager first half against Hull but then after a half time cuppa they decided they were wrong and should play for him instead. Fuck me, there's some shite spouted here sometimes.

Not quite sure that is right. There was only a slight improvement in the second half and tbh it'd have been quite an achievement  have gotten any worse

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #614 on: January 24, 2019, 12:06:01 AM »
We were much better 2nd half and easily the better side. Not enough cutting edge, but off the ball we were 100% better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal