collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Yannick Bolasie - Returned to Everton  (Read 82983 times)

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Yannick Bolasie - Returned to Everton
« Reply #585 on: January 22, 2019, 03:33:58 PM »
As soon as the half started they began pressing and chasing down the opposition, a vast improvement on what went on before.  Therefore, I/we can assume that they were reminded by the manager what was expected of them. They weren't as good as they have been 2nd half but showed that they've not completely gone to shit.  And, Villa looked the more likely winners of the game even taking into account the very good chance Hull had near the end.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #586 on: January 22, 2019, 03:47:40 PM »
The second half was a massive improvement. Anyone who was at the Cup game or Wigan will tell you that. Not good enough overall, but it could have been a lot worse.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #587 on: January 22, 2019, 03:50:22 PM »
I think it's relevant who activated it.  If it was activated by us you may think it was part of a wider plan

Yes I agree with this. Bolasie activating it gives more cause for concern. From what I saw against Swansea in the cup, away at Wigan and the first half against Hull, it looked like the players had no interest in playing for the manager. Whatever your thoughts on his performances, Bolasie choosing to go back only adds to that impression. It was hardly as though he was sitting on the bench every week

The players had no interest playing for the manager first half against Hull but then after a half time cuppa they decided they were wrong and should play for him instead. Fuck me, there's some shite spouted here sometimes.

We hardly stormed the 2nd half! The first half was so embarrassingly poor that a mediocre 2nd half looked better than it actually was.

They lost a defender to injury just before we scored almost on half time, despite us not being in the game. I would suggest them losing a player, and our late first half goal, probably lifted our players up to the dizzy heights of mediocrity, rather than Smith's half time team talk.

Either way, we shouldn't exaggerate the 2nd half performance above what it was. We had 2 shots on target the whole game. At Home. To Hull.

You said that he's lost the dressing room, yet somehow we come back from 2-0 down, despite the players not being bothered. How did it happen? Luck? You talk shite.

Online Clampy

« Reply #588 on: January 22, 2019, 03:52:41 PM »
I think it's relevant who activated it.  If it was activated by us you may think it was part of a wider plan

Yes I agree with this. Bolasie activating it gives more cause for concern. From what I saw against Swansea in the cup, away at Wigan and the first half against Hull, it looked like the players had no interest in playing for the manager. Whatever your thoughts on his performances, Bolasie choosing to go back only adds to that impression. It was hardly as though he was sitting on the bench every week

The players had no interest playing for the manager first half against Hull but then after a half time cuppa they decided they were wrong and should play for him instead. Fuck me, there's some shite spouted here sometimes.

We hardly stormed the 2nd half! The first half was so embarrassingly poor that a mediocre 2nd half looked better than it actually was.

They lost a defender to injury just before we scored almost on half time, despite us not being in the game. I would suggest them losing a player, and our late first half goal, probably lifted our players up to the dizzy heights of mediocrity, rather than Smith's half time team talk.

Either way, we shouldn't exaggerate the 2nd half performance above what it was. We had 2 shots on target the whole game. At Home. To Hull.

You said that he's lost the dressing room, yet somehow we come back from 2-0 down, despite the players not being bothered. How did it happen? Luck? You talk shite.

This. You don't suddenly want to start playing for the manager after 45 minutes of not bothering. Utter nonsense.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #589 on: January 22, 2019, 03:56:02 PM »
Is there any reason to believe that the mythical ''losing of the dressing room'' has occurred again, a couple of games after smashing teams? Apart from it being over reactionary nonsense? The bottom line is we are an average team, with too many aged players and loan players in key positions and our best player out injured, it's not rocket science, there's no conspiracy theory needed. Especially one that makes as little sense as players minds chopping and changing from half to half.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #590 on: January 22, 2019, 04:21:00 PM »
You wonder whether the uncertainty around ins and outs in January effects the mood and level of performance. We went through a similar shit period in Bruce's first season after a decent start, the shit period being from around Xmas to sometime in Feb after which it picked up again. To me, were a team of loanees, past it's, never will be's and not quites, and the squad is still hopelessly unbalanced.

***with the exception of Grealish, McGinn, Kodjia & Chester when played in the right position and hopefully the GK will work out.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 04:23:48 PM by Clark W Griswold »

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #591 on: January 22, 2019, 04:44:20 PM »
Lost the dressing room? What rubbish. As Mr Agbonlahor of Aston would say ‘some people like to chat shit’. Never mind the shots on goal count, it’s effort, movement, commitment that’s matters, can’t count those so must be invisible to some.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #592 on: January 22, 2019, 04:48:33 PM »
We pressed well, weren't quite as incisive ad we had been pre-Stoke, but still created 18 chances and were the better side. It was a lot better and there was effort and endeavour which needs a splash of quality and confidence. Hopefully Reading and Ipswich, with Jack and reinforcements can provide ahead of Sheffield United, Stripey Filth and Brentford.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #593 on: January 22, 2019, 04:59:45 PM »
Please don’t suggest that maybe, bad apples like Yanick Shownoat was having a negative impact on morale.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #594 on: January 22, 2019, 09:45:44 PM »

Where did I say he's lost the dressing room?

Online Clampy

« Reply #595 on: January 22, 2019, 09:49:50 PM »
You said the players had no interest in playing for Smith in the first half on Saturday. Sounds to me like you were suggesting he'd lost the dressing room.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #596 on: January 22, 2019, 09:56:05 PM »
You said the players had no interest in playing for Smith in the first half on Saturday. Sounds to me like you were suggesting he'd lost the dressing room.

Again. Where did I say that?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #597 on: January 22, 2019, 10:00:30 PM »
Here?

I thought that's what we've been doing for the last few seasons/managers?

I'd rather get promoted, by book or by crook, gaining millions to help us rebuild and becoming a more attractive proposition to decent players.

Telling a squad they don't need to worry about promotion, at a club expected to be challenging, is rarely going to have them busting a gut. It might even have them thinking, 'why am I here?'

Close enough at least.

Online Clampy

« Reply #598 on: January 22, 2019, 10:07:45 PM »

Again. Where did I say that?

Sorry, I mis-read who had posted it. Bloody quotathons.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #599 on: January 22, 2019, 10:14:18 PM »
Here?

I thought that's what we've been doing for the last few seasons/managers?

I'd rather get promoted, by book or by crook, gaining millions to help us rebuild and becoming a more attractive proposition to decent players.

Telling a squad they don't need to worry about promotion, at a club expected to be challenging, is rarely going to have them busting a gut. It might even have them thinking, 'why am I here?'

Close enough at least.

Nowhere near.

Also, it's the owners telling all and sundry they don't need to worry about failure, not the manager.

It's not impossible it will have some negative effect on all concerned, including Smith.

I've never been in a job where the owners tell everyone not to worry about failure but, if they had, I can certainly see it would hardly have a motivating effect. Quite the opposite for some.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal