collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 654018 times)

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #705 on: March 31, 2019, 01:37:50 PM »
Looking at this the 15 yellows cards cut off date is at the end of the league season and play offs don't count.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/jul/31/red-yellow-cards-technical-area-2018-19

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #706 on: March 31, 2019, 02:27:47 PM »
Reading that, I'm still a bit unsure. I've taken it as further cards aren't accumulated during the play-offs. But if he were to bag a fifteenth yellow against Norwich, he'd be suspended for them.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #707 on: March 31, 2019, 07:45:57 PM »
Reading that, I'm still a bit unsure. I've taken it as further cards aren't accumulated during the play-offs. But if he were to bag a fifteenth yellow against Norwich, he'd be suspended for them.

Yep, if he gets to 14 I'd be tempted to 'rest' him for any games we have left if the playoffs are on.

Offline KRS

« Reply #708 on: April 01, 2019, 12:14:55 AM »
Yellow card bans for EFL league games:

5 yellows in the first 19 matches = 1 match suspension
10 yellows in the first 37 matches = 2 match suspension
15 yellows in the whole season = 3 match suspension

I can only presume this means for the 46 league games and does not roll over into the playoffs. There's also a question whether or not an EFL league ban would be enforced in the playoffs as its not really the same competition (as per league bans not being applicable in cup games and vice versa).

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #709 on: April 01, 2019, 12:17:30 AM »
League bans are applicable in cup games, and vice versa.

Offline KRS

« Reply #710 on: April 01, 2019, 12:27:34 AM »
There was a rule change at the start of this season which means yellow cards and bans are competition format specific (ie yellow cards picked up in league and cup games are counted and applied to only the competition they were awarded in so you can't be banned in a cup game from a ban received due to yellow cards in league games).

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #711 on: April 01, 2019, 12:56:54 AM »
In isolation, winning a corner's hardly something to recall even past leaving the ground. That yesterday, that, that one act was the stuff of legend.

"Dad, how good was John McGinn really?"
"Well, son, there was this one time, Blackburn I think it was..."

Couldn’t agree more. That one moment sums up why he is fast becoming a rival for my favourite Villa player of all time ( alongside the legendary Ian Taylor)not because of his talent, although, boy does he have some,  but the sheer desire that he has to win for Aston Villa. On pure footballing intelligence and will to win, as a manager you’d want a team of 11 John McGinns .

He's the embodiment of the culture Saunders bought to the club, steel, determination, selflessness and quality, something we've seen too little of in my time watching us.

I absolutely love him.

This. The combination of his tenacity, energy, and a good dose of skill, he really does deserve the Bremner/Taylor #7 shirt of the workhorse. Not only all that, but I’ve just watched every wee SJM video (re-watched some) on the villa YouTube channel. He’s very much like Snodgrass last year, an infectious fun presence, just a really really loveable down to earth personality. I really hope we and he do well enough to keep him for a very long time.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #712 on: April 01, 2019, 01:26:36 AM »
There was a rule change at the start of this season which means yellow cards and bans are competition format specific (ie yellow cards picked up in league and cup games are counted and applied to only the competition they were awarded in so you can't be banned in a cup game from a ban received due to yellow cards in league games).

I stand corrected. Sorry for doubting you. 🙂

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #713 on: April 01, 2019, 01:27:24 AM »
That was supposed to be a smiley face at the end. The new mobile site obviously doesn't like them.

Offline KRS

« Reply #714 on: April 01, 2019, 02:23:08 AM »
No worries CD. I didn't know about the rule change until I Googled it on Saturday night either! :)

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #715 on: April 01, 2019, 11:01:19 AM »
I just found myself idly think about John McGinn (I recommend it if you have a spare few minutes) and I think he's been directly involved in 6 of our last 8 goals. All since being recalled to the starting lineup. That's remarkable, really. Having Jack back must be helping no end, but he seems to have added a bit of extra quality to his boundless energy, and that little break has done him the world of good.

As a fan, he's everything you want from a player. He's just brilliant. Never before have I replayed winning a corner in my mind over and over again!

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #716 on: April 01, 2019, 05:29:22 PM »
That run for the corner was a thing of beauty. As was the fist pump to the Holte immediately after.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #717 on: April 01, 2019, 05:36:41 PM »
That run for the corner was a thing of beauty. As was the fist pump to the Holte immediately after.
Wonderful, wasn't it? Was getting worried they'd equalise!

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #718 on: April 01, 2019, 05:47:07 PM »
I had spent ten minutes screaming at them at that point to keep hold of the fucking ball and slow the game down. Then that happened. SJM knows the craic!

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #719 on: April 01, 2019, 06:49:08 PM »
Quiz 2029
Q What memorable event happened at Villa Park on 30 March 2019?
A John McGinn won a corner

and everyone who was there remembered it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal