collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 669854 times)

Offline astonvilla82

Re: John McGinn - signed (Captain 2022/23)
« Reply #4260 on: November 14, 2022, 02:12:40 PM »
He looks like he wasn't wearing lead boots yesterday

Online kippaxvilla2

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4262 on: November 15, 2022, 09:28:59 AM »
Better from him on Sunday, more energy and his getting stuck in was effective. Still gives the ball away far too often though, and if he doesn't cut that out it'll limit him under Emery long term. If you don't lose it, you don't have to win it back.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4263 on: November 15, 2022, 09:32:45 AM »
He thrives in a good set up, it's. It always him losing the ball, and often when he does its because he's surrounded by opposition players. He tries the Hollywood pass too often though and that's when it can go wrong.

He isn't the sort of player to win a match on his own, but can be a key piece in a system.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4264 on: November 15, 2022, 11:13:45 AM »
He thrives in a good set up, it's. It always him losing the ball, and often when he does its because he's surrounded by opposition players. He tries the Hollywood pass too often though and that's when it can go wrong.

He isn't the sort of player to win a match on his own, but can be a key piece in a system.

The bold bit is a problem for me, in 2 ways.

Firstly he gets crowded out because of things he does. The use of his arse is fantastic at times but often it means he's not in a position to play a quick pass, which means players have time to get 'at' him. If we can work on that in training and get him making better choices on when to engage the arse it will give him a lot more time to look up.
Aside from that the number of times he gives the ball away when he misplaces a 10 yard pass needs to be addressed but this can be worked on in training and I'd hope will be something we see change fairly quickly.

I agree completely on the hollywood passes thing though, he just needs to be told to stop trying those, it isn't a strangth of his and I doubt it ever will be. It feels like this is something Gerrard pushed onto him because it's only become a big problem in the last year so I hope Emery and the coaches can take it back out of his game.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #4265 on: November 15, 2022, 11:23:35 AM »

Firstly he gets crowded out because of things he does. The use of his arse is fantastic at times but often it means he's not in a position to play a quick pass, which means players have time to get 'at' him. If we can work on that in training and get him making better choices on when to engage the arse it will give him a lot more time to look up.
Aside from that the number of times he gives the ball away when he misplaces a 10 yard pass needs to be addressed but this can be worked on in training and I'd hope will be something we see change fairly quickly.

I agree completely on the hollywood passes thing though, he just needs to be told to stop trying those, it isn't a strangth of his and I doubt it ever will be. It feels like this is something Gerrard pushed onto him because it's only become a big problem in the last year so I hope Emery and the coaches can take it back out of his game.

If they can't they'll be taking him out of the game. That might make him think more about trying the Hollywood pass all the time. His tenacity is welcome, his reckless tackling and giving the ball away isn't. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4266 on: November 15, 2022, 11:25:46 AM »

He used to do it under Smith as well, and was probably more successful as he had more time on the ball when Grealish was playing, as teams tended to double up on him. Buendia's miles better at it, so McGinn needs to not try it so often. Buendia tends to play 25 yard balls to feet to people in space, whereas McGinn usually tries curling, lofted passes which are far easier for defenders to cut out.

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #4267 on: November 15, 2022, 01:32:18 PM »
Plus the fact he was charging into the penalty area to get us the penalty, which I haven't seen for a long time,at least with him he wouldn't be happy with his own form

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #4268 on: November 15, 2022, 01:39:31 PM »

My biggest issue is that he seemingly always receives the ball facing the wrong way and that time to control it and rotate means that a player or 2 are on him - then the big arse technique comes into play but refs nowadays are allowing play on when he looks for a foul. Once they regain possession the rest of our team is caught going forward and there is space behind us.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4269 on: November 17, 2022, 12:17:50 AM »
Great run and strike for Scotland tonight. I hope he's getting his mojo back.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4270 on: November 17, 2022, 01:49:14 AM »
He always scores for Scotland, they seem to facilitate him better. But as is often pointed out, international games are generally of a lower standard than the Prem.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #4271 on: November 17, 2022, 06:17:35 AM »
He always scores for Scotland, they seem to facilitate him better. But as is often pointed out, international games are generally of a lower standard than the Prem.

He has now scored the same number of goals for Scotland as he has for us, in precisley 1/3 the number of games.

Villa. Played 156 Goals 15.
Scotland  Played 52 Goals 15.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4272 on: November 17, 2022, 06:32:27 PM »
A symmetrical (spherical) meatball.

Online Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #4273 on: December 10, 2022, 05:48:52 PM »
He’s posted a photo of himself and the future Mrs McGinn on Instagram.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #4274 on: December 10, 2022, 06:26:15 PM »
He posted a photo in Instagram the other day in training, he's look a lot leaner. Which makes you wonder about the fitness regime under Gerrard.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal