collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 669862 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2850 on: October 22, 2021, 11:56:24 PM »
His passing is shite, playing in a midfield two you can't try and play a killer pass every time you get the ball but McGinn sure tried it tonight. Thought he was possibly our worst player, definitely his worst performance that I've seen for us.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #2851 on: October 23, 2021, 04:33:04 AM »
Gone from very good last week to detritus this week. Not the first time this has happened.

But even last week, when in many ways he had a great game, he was dispossessed three times just outside our own penalty area. It happens a lot and his poor passing happens a lot too.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #2852 on: October 23, 2021, 06:52:10 AM »
Wasnt great but imone of the few players suffering from smiths lame tactics and lamer formation

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2853 on: October 23, 2021, 10:26:15 AM »
His duck was abysmal too.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2854 on: October 23, 2021, 12:28:19 PM »
Gone from very good last week to detritus this week. Not the first time this has happened.

But even last week, when in many ways he had a great game, he was dispossessed three times just outside our own penalty area. It happens a lot and his poor passing happens a lot too.

That's just what his game is really. If you want a midfielder with 95% pass completion then he simply isn't it but can influence games in many other ways as he showed v Man. United when he was brilliant.

Terrible pass for their third though, he does need to play it simple far more sometimes.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #2855 on: November 01, 2021, 07:22:24 AM »
Another yellow card!
Bit not sure why he was booked vs West Ham as he was pushed over
That's 4 for the season and likely to be suspended soon

Couple of his cards have actually been unfair the other 2 stupid ones
I don't think he should be carded yesterday

Offline nigel

« Reply #2856 on: November 01, 2021, 07:59:54 AM »
Didn’t play too well yesterday, but it certainly didn’t help when Ramsey was replaced with Young. It changed the midfield set up as it wasn’t like for like.
I think if Carney had come on it would have been a better fit

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #2857 on: November 20, 2021, 08:07:27 PM »
Wee John was immense today. Really drove us on and his play at times was showboaty 😎

I am a big fan of him and he is arguably our best player with Emi also. A smart and tidy little footballer with an aggressive bite, like a skilful Yorkshire Terrier who just won't stop yapping.

Super John McGinn 😎

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2858 on: November 20, 2021, 09:01:48 PM »
He played well. But...

He gives it away in such dangerous spaces and areas! Brighton's sole phase of attacking intent came from him giving it away cheaply. He needs to cut that out.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2859 on: November 20, 2021, 09:20:51 PM »
By his standards I thought his play was careless at times today.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2860 on: November 20, 2021, 09:27:57 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see SJM really come on well under Gerrard but he needs someone behind him as he can't defend for shit and remains part of a midfield that allows far too much space and time for the opposition.  Hopefully this is addressed either with quality coaching or better signings.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #2861 on: November 21, 2021, 01:38:17 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see SJM really come on well under Gerrard but he needs someone behind him as he can't defend for shit and remains part of a midfield that allows far too much space and time for the opposition.  Hopefully this is addressed either with quality coaching or better signings.

I agree.

He is one of those all-action players with a phenomenal engine and wants to be involved in everything, but S.G. needs to tell him to concentrate on his strengths.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #2862 on: November 21, 2021, 09:12:15 AM »

I actually think this is his achilles heel and a problem on display virtually every game. There is such a good player in there if he could just stop giving the ball away so easily at times.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #2863 on: November 21, 2021, 10:22:33 AM »

I actually think this is his achilles heel and a problem on display virtually every game. There is such a good player in there if he could just stop giving the ball away so easily at times.
He also tries to play a lot of adventurous passes, some of which obviously won’t work out. I don’t want him to stop trying them either, as he plays some gems. I think part of the issue is we have tended to play him too deep, so there’s a lot more risk if the pass is misplaced. Play him further forward and it becomes less of an issue.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #2864 on: November 21, 2021, 11:47:41 AM »
It's less misplaced passes that concern me but how often he is caught on the ball, often within spitting distance of our penalty area which makes it very difficult to recover from.

The solution you propose I agree with. I think he'll do even better further up the pitch for us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal