collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:26:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:26:47 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Christian Purslow - Resigned  (Read 226836 times)

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: New CEO appointed - Christian Purslow
« Reply #1260 on: November 05, 2022, 05:19:52 PM »
His staff wont have been on £10m a year... and Gerrard wont have been on £8m+ a year. You've just made up some numbers.
Yes I have but I think the total costs of employing Gerrard and upheaval will be north of 50 and towards 100. These things are not cheap. 
Relegation would have been more costly

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1261 on: November 05, 2022, 06:30:55 PM »
His staff wont have been on £10m a year... and Gerrard wont have been on £8m+ a year. You've just made up some numbers.
Yes I have but I think the total costs of employing Gerrard and upheaval will be north of 50 and towards 100. These things are not cheap. 

It will be nowhere near that.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1262 on: November 05, 2022, 07:59:24 PM »

It will be nowhere near that.

Absolutely nowhere near. 2½ years left on his contract, so say £13m. The coaches would have been mostly normal PAYE employees not a fixed term contract, so very little to pay there, and even if there is, £20m tops would be the absolute most. We'll see in the accounts next year anyway.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1263 on: November 07, 2022, 09:05:07 PM »
Have to acknowledge Purslow on this recruitment.
He has pulled a masterstroke after the failed experiment with Gerrard.
Feel the project is back on track and as much he has been unwise with his last selection bringing in Emery makes things far sweeter all round.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1264 on: November 07, 2022, 09:14:41 PM »
Did someone say on here that they had heard, or read somewhere, that Purslow had to work hard to convince Sawiris that Gerrard was the right appointment in the first place?

Or did I just imagine that.
So the cost of Purslow's folly was about £100M.

How do make that out?
Compensation to Rangers £5M. 3 year contract for Steven £24M. 3 year contracts for all his staff £30M. Compensation for Villareal £10M. Additional cost of hiring top european coaching  staff at a higher rate £20M over 3 years.  Various agent fees £10M.

Hopefully it's not as much at that but it won't be far short.

If the cost to recruit Emery falls on Gerrardthen why doesn't the Gerrard cost fall on Smith?

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1265 on: November 07, 2022, 09:18:08 PM »
Have to acknowledge Purslow on this recruitment.
He has pulled a masterstroke after the failed experiment with Gerrard.
Feel the project is back on track and as much he has been unwise with his last selection bringing in Emery makes things far sweeter all round.

I don't have any issue with Purslow but it's been fairly widely reported that the decision on when to sack SG came from Sawiris and he then led the search for his replacement so I don't think Purslow has anything like as much credit as you're suggesting.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1266 on: November 07, 2022, 09:20:22 PM »
He did that thing in the press conference of turning round and looking at his colleagues for support when he was talking. A sure sign of somebody who is probably in the last chance saloon and looking for all the help he can get.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1267 on: November 07, 2022, 09:22:39 PM »
He did that thing in the press conference of turning round and looking at his colleagues for support when he was talking. A sure sign of somebody who is probably in the last chance saloon and looking for all the help he can get.

I don't think he's that far gone but I suspect he has been told that the failure of the last year is on him and had some of his responsibilities either taken on by the owners or given to Lange.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1268 on: November 07, 2022, 09:28:13 PM »

I don't think he's that far gone but I suspect he has been told that the failure of the last year is on him and had some of his responsibilities either taken on by the owners or given to Lange.

Yes I think he's probably been told to concentrate on the business side of things.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1269 on: November 07, 2022, 10:50:49 PM »

I did wonder about that, he looked anxious. I thought he was being respectful to Unai, by enunciating his English towards him but I think your reading is probably more accurate.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1270 on: February 19, 2023, 07:10:31 PM »
BT Sport Interview:
Are you pleased with the start Unai Emery has made?
"Yes, we're absolutely delighted. He came in at a difficult time for the club. His track record and quality is obvious, it speaks for itself. Although you never know for sure, it's wonderful that he's made such an immediate impact and results improved very quickly."

Has he just confirmed what you already knew, that he was the right man for the job?
"It was a very simple decision when a manager of his quality became available. Our owners did not hesitate to act. He's been a top manager for nearly 20 years, he's managed some of the biggest clubs in Europe and we were absolutely thrilled to be able to get him to come to our great club."

Already looking ahead to the summer?
"We're always looking ahead. We like to be strategic about the way we build our squad. Unai obviously is taking his time in assessing the players he's inherited, and he has a very clear vision for what he wants to do going forward. I expect it to be an extremely busy summer."

How does Aston Villa break into the top six sustainably?

"That's the key word: sustainable. We're trying to do things the right way, that's the tradition of this great club. That means patiently, consistently seeking to improve, but doing so within the financial rules.
Those rules are very topical today. That is why clubs like Fulham and Brentford are able to be successful. But I think it's quite likely we'll see, in the coming months and years, further reform of those crucial financial regulations.
When properly applied, they ensure that the wealth of ownership is a secondary factor, not the primary fact. I think that's the way most football fans think football should be."

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1271 on: February 19, 2023, 07:30:10 PM »
'I expect it to be a very busy summer'.  Talking about player recruitment and, letting a few go.  I really hope so.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1272 on: February 19, 2023, 07:35:30 PM »
Thanks for posting that, Footy.

"But I think it's quite likely we'll see, in the coming months and years, further reform of those crucial financial regulations. When properly applied, they ensure that the wealth of ownership is a secondary factor, not the primary fact."

I think it's absolutely certain that we'll see nothing of the sort.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #1273 on: February 19, 2023, 07:37:32 PM »
"Extremely busy". "Backing the manager". Etc, etc, yada, yada...

Lots of talk so far.

Show us in the summer or stop shouting about our ambition...

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #1274 on: February 19, 2023, 07:40:50 PM »
We might do once Man Utd have spent £1b and locked themselves back in the top 4.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal