collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Christian Purslow - Resigned  (Read 229703 times)

Offline RamboandBruno

Re: New CEO appointed - Christian Purslow
« Reply #1245 on: November 05, 2022, 10:25:08 AM »
Smith would of fairly obviously been a Purslow appointment and that generally worked out ok for stage one of the owners plan, so i suppose Purslow had credit in the bank with that. But as has been said on here several times, Gerrard was with hindsight a terrible appointment and a wasted year. The owners or Sawiris specifically has seemingly decide to usurp Purslow and press the fast forward button on his ambitions for the club. Interesting times.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1246 on: November 05, 2022, 11:10:54 AM »
Did someone say on here that they had heard, or read somewhere, that Purslow had to work hard to convince Sawiris that Gerrard was the right appointment in the first place?

Or did I just imagine that.
So the cost of Purslow's folly was about £100M.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #1247 on: November 05, 2022, 11:40:53 AM »

Both the DoF and Purslow should report in to Naseef and Wes who set the overall goals and budgets.

That is what happens.

Is Lange an actual DoF? I know hit title is Sporting Director but it feels like he's mostly recruitment. I have not seen a grand footballing strategy from him.

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #1248 on: November 05, 2022, 11:43:14 AM »
Might be just me but he didn’t look comfortable at the Press Conference yesterday.  Body language wasn’t right.

Said similar earlier on. He also fluffed his lines at one point. Looked like he was sporting a slightly forced smile.

The forced smile stuff is exactly what i thought. It seems he’s banked his rep on Gerrard and its now be taken out of his hands. I think he had very little to do with this appointment. It will be interesting how the dynamics work as presumably Emery will have to report to Purslow and Lange but he clearly has the support of Sawiris so kind of undermines them a bit. Hopefully they just leave him to get on with it and support him in the transfer market.

He didn't look happy or comfortable throughout the presentation.

Having a seat that looked as if it had been deliberately lowered added to the impression that he has fallen down in the hierarchy/pecking order.

The dynamics have clearly changed.

Reckon he's been sidelined in terms of football related decision making and we'll see him restricted to stadium development and commercial activities.

He's a very experienced football executive (wasn't he involved in setting up the original FFP rules?) and he knows the movers and shakers - we just need to use him where he can add value to what we want to achieve as a club - which definitely isn't the playing side.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #1249 on: November 05, 2022, 11:45:23 AM »
He does seem to be a good negotiator for transfer deals, so as long as the actual targets are someone else's responsibility i think it makes sense for him to be involved on that side.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1250 on: November 05, 2022, 12:04:55 PM »
Did someone say on here that they had heard, or read somewhere, that Purslow had to work hard to convince Sawiris that Gerrard was the right appointment in the first place?

How do make that out?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1251 on: November 05, 2022, 12:12:07 PM »

How do make that out?

He’s likely including transfers. Truth is every club, and especially at PL level make hiring mistakes. I can understand why Gerrard was appointed even if at the time most questioned it and many disagreed. It could have worked out. He had a good track record as manager in Scotland. But it didn’t just like a host of managerial appointments we have made pre Purslow. He got it wrong and now the club have clearly stated they won’t take a punt on an up and coming manager again.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #1252 on: November 05, 2022, 12:54:59 PM »

How do make that out?
Compensation to Rangers £5M. 3 year contract for Steven £24M. 3 year contracts for all his staff £30M. Compensation for Villareal £10M. Additional cost of hiring top european coaching  staff at a higher rate £20M over 3 years.  Various agent fees £10M.

Hopefully it's not as much at that but it won't be far short.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1253 on: November 05, 2022, 01:06:48 PM »
The staff won't have their contracts paid in full and you can't include two management teams.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #1254 on: November 05, 2022, 01:07:51 PM »
Emery's compensation was half that, as well.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1255 on: November 05, 2022, 01:22:14 PM »
Might be just me but he didn’t look comfortable at the Press Conference yesterday.  Body language wasn’t right.

Said similar earlier on. He also fluffed his lines at one point. Looked like he was sporting a slightly forced smile.

"Wed Esens"

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #1256 on: November 05, 2022, 01:35:01 PM »
His staff wont have been on £10m a year... and Gerrard wont have been on £8m+ a year. You've just made up some numbers.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1257 on: November 05, 2022, 01:51:22 PM »
SG was reportedly on £5 million a year. 

Still ludicrous, but at the lower end of ludicrous in the wacky world of football manager salaries. In that scenario, the most he will have got is an additional £10 million on top of the £5 million already paid out for the first year.

It might be even less than that if there were break clauses based on league position etc.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #1258 on: November 05, 2022, 01:58:38 PM »
£5 was too much for Gerrard.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #1259 on: November 05, 2022, 04:39:01 PM »
His staff wont have been on £10m a year... and Gerrard wont have been on £8m+ a year. You've just made up some numbers.
Yes I have but I think the total costs of employing Gerrard and upheaval will be north of 50 and towards 100. These things are not cheap. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal