collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Pit of Misery (All mess in here)  (Read 92485 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: The Pit of Misery (All mess in here)
« Reply #585 on: June 16, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »
I'm talking about his time with us, when after a few games you said he was shit and would always be. You were wrong, with the added irony you often complain about 'modern' fans not giving anyone time.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #586 on: June 16, 2018, 03:42:02 PM »
And he scored 15 league goals for Palace in his first season, but I guess that was a one off as well after all he's had 6 seasons in England and had 1 bad season.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #587 on: June 16, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »
For me I’d say we have to up for sale. I don’t think Xia will make any changes to the management team (involving payoffs etc) while we are in this position. Just can’t shake the feeling that this is ANOTHER wasted opportunity to do things ‘properly’.
Bruce was employed for one reason, he was allegedly the promotion ‘expert’. Style was sacrificed in exchange for a quick return to the prem. This short sighted approach has backfired and He has been an utter failure.
We are now in another new era, one of no big budgets, the requirement to be more dynamic and build a sustainable youthful team. One based on no more recruitment of OAP’s with zero sell on potential or lack of general ROI.
This new era is in dire need of a whole new coaching setup and approach. Bruce is NOT that man nor will he all of a sudden cast aside 10 years+ of management to change his ‘style’.

I have been a champion of Dean Smith for ages and would love to see him have a crack. If we tried something new and dynamic then the fans would give a lot of patience while we evolve. I just cannot see any patience being given to Bruce this season. Anymore no shows in the first/second half, his usual “that’s the championship” crap post match. He moaned about FFP constantly last season, god knows how bad it will be hearing every week how we’ve lost big players in Jack, Chester and JT but “that’s where we are”.
Granted I can see why some people think in this time of instability it’s the safer bet to have him. Ultimately though ‘the safer’ bet has contributed to this mess.

Rip it all up and start fresh I say

I read right up until you said "the fans would give a lot of patience while we evolve."  Do you not know Villa fans actually scrap that do you not know the modern Football fan?  there is not a chance of patience whilst we evolve.

It's all very well calling for Dean Smith but the pressure at Brentford who are at the highest they have ever been so the fans are happy with where they are,  whereas here it couldn't be more different remember Paul Lambert he was like Dean Smith until we signed him.  I think some on here are underestimating the pressure of being the manager of Aston Villa. 

Houllier experienced manager struggled but was getting there until his heart stopped him,  McLeish experienced not spectacular but did ok,  Lambert Inexperienced Failed,  Sherwood Inexperienced brief success but ultimately failed,  Garde Inexperienced Failed, RDM relatively experienced failed (proved the Champions league was down to the players),  Bruce experienced i'd say succeeded as he was able to stop the rot and got us competitive again.

Villa need experienced managers as the pressure of expectation that a club like ours brings crushes an inexperienced manager.

Brian Little - Leicester city
Gregory - Wycombe

They didn’t do too bad did they? Connection - they understood our club.

you really don't know the modern football fan do you,   the football world was completely different when Gregory and Little was our manager.   you want Dean Smith here and expect him to have time to evolve?  sadly in the modern day if he didn't hit the ground running then the claws will be out for him.

That ‘could’ happen with whoever was in charge. If we saw different systems, attacking intent and a team who clearly want to play football, don’t know how you can say for certain a few results would result in claws being out.

So we’re forever dammed to a boring, ‘experienced’ manager cause we may not achieve anything but they could cope with the pressure!? Better call Mick McCarthy then if Bruce was to go.

How the hell will we ever know what could be achieved if we don’t give anyone a chance. Every successful player or manager ever, all started without the ‘experience’.

How will we ever know,  quite easily as your question has been answered already we tried inexperienced managers and we are now in the Championship

And yet we have an ‘experienced’ one now who is an ‘expert’ and yet we are still in the championship.
Definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over yet expecting a different outcome

Offline VinnieChase84

« Reply #588 on: June 16, 2018, 04:22:31 PM »
Stuart - out of interest who do you classify as experienced enough for us? Surely success should be as important if not more so than just experienced?
Ian Holloway is experienced, so is Mick McCarthy - do these types fit the bill for you?

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #589 on: June 16, 2018, 04:31:07 PM »
The ability to coach young players and know the lower league market should be a higher priority than experience right now.

Offline VinnieChase84

« Reply #590 on: June 16, 2018, 04:35:39 PM »
The ability to coach young players and know the lower league market should be a higher priority than experience right now.
👏🏻👏🏻

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #591 on: June 16, 2018, 07:38:54 PM »
You with Benteke is the perfect example Stuart  :P

how's Benteke been since he left us?  scoring for fun has he? 

27 goals since he left us, that's an average of 9 goals a season.  Says a lot really doesn't it.

Says more that you keep coming out with that crap.

look at the stats since leaving us he has scored 27 goals that is an average of 9 a season.    This is not crap these are facts.  Benteke has played for 3 clubs in England and he's only been any good at 1,  so it turns out we was the exception rather than the rule.

Yeah but then again, we are Villa fans so who gives a shit what he does when he goes elsewhere. He was good for us, which is all he needed to be.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #592 on: June 16, 2018, 07:45:10 PM »
Peter Withe wasn't too clever when he was at Barrow and Southport.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #593 on: June 16, 2018, 08:24:01 PM »
For me I’d say we have to up for sale. I don’t think Xia will make any changes to the management team (involving payoffs etc) while we are in this position. Just can’t shake the feeling that this is ANOTHER wasted opportunity to do things ‘properly’.
Bruce was employed for one reason, he was allegedly the promotion ‘expert’. Style was sacrificed in exchange for a quick return to the prem. This short sighted approach has backfired and He has been an utter failure.
We are now in another new era, one of no big budgets, the requirement to be more dynamic and build a sustainable youthful team. One based on no more recruitment of OAP’s with zero sell on potential or lack of general ROI.
This new era is in dire need of a whole new coaching setup and approach. Bruce is NOT that man nor will he all of a sudden cast aside 10 years+ of management to change his ‘style’.

I have been a champion of Dean Smith for ages and would love to see him have a crack. If we tried something new and dynamic then the fans would give a lot of patience while we evolve. I just cannot see any patience being given to Bruce this season. Anymore no shows in the first/second half, his usual “that’s the championship” crap post match. He moaned about FFP constantly last season, god knows how bad it will be hearing every week how we’ve lost big players in Jack, Chester and JT but “that’s where we are”.
Granted I can see why some people think in this time of instability it’s the safer bet to have him. Ultimately though ‘the safer’ bet has contributed to this mess.

I read right up until you said "the fans would give a lot of patience while we evolve."  Do you not know Villa fans actually scrap that do you not know the modern Football fan?  there is not a chance of patience whilst we evolve.

It's all very well calling for Dean Smith but the pressure at Brentford who are at the highest they have ever been so the fans are happy with where they are,  whereas here it couldn't be more different remember Paul Lambert he was like Dean Smith until we signed him.  I think some on here are underestimating the pressure of being the manager of Aston Villa. 

Houllier experienced manager struggled but was getting there until his heart stopped him,  McLeish experienced not spectacular but did ok,  Lambert Inexperienced Failed,  Sherwood Inexperienced brief success but ultimately failed,  Garde Inexperienced Failed, RDM relatively experienced failed (proved the Champions league was down to the players),  Bruce experienced i'd say succeeded as he was able to stop the rot and got us competitive again.

Villa need experienced managers as the pressure of expectation that a club like ours brings crushes an inexperienced manager.

The difference between Bruce and the rest is that he is managing at a far lower level with players that are on par with the best in the division.  A massive difference.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #594 on: June 16, 2018, 08:31:41 PM »

The difference between Bruce and the rest is that he is managing at a far lower level with players that are on par with the best in the division.  A massive difference.
Yes but apparently he succeeded, despite not meeting his remit.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #595 on: June 16, 2018, 11:43:11 PM »
Please stop the ducking quotation you fucking thread-hoggers.

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #596 on: June 17, 2018, 07:56:35 AM »
A mate who works at VP in the offices,  told me the word on the street is we will go into administration next week.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #597 on: June 17, 2018, 08:07:05 AM »
I expect James Nursey to be reporting this as an exclusive later today.

Offline VinnieChase84

« Reply #598 on: June 17, 2018, 08:13:52 AM »
A mate who works at VP in the offices,  told me the word on the street is we will go into administration next week.

This wouldn’t surprise me unfortunately. What’s are the chances we literally never hear from Xia again!?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #599 on: June 17, 2018, 08:17:55 AM »
I'd be surprised that we have committed to a contract with Hutton if we're to enter administration.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal