collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Villan82
[Today at 10:54:01 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by London Villan
[Today at 10:50:20 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 10:44:26 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:32:05 AM]

Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 10:26:30 AM]

Diego Carlos by tomd2103
[Today at 10:24:33 AM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 10:17:02 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by eamonn
[Today at 09:58:22 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Pit of Misery (All mess in here)  (Read 92443 times)

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
Re: The Pit of Misery (All mess in here)
« Reply #570 on: June 16, 2018, 08:53:10 AM »
Not sure if anyone has already talked of it elsewhere on this site, with regards to FFP, but what is to stop the Dr from renaming the stadium and training ground, like the noses have, to get round FFP ??

Not as easy as that. Xia could sponsor it for £200m but
A) I think he’s full of crap and hasn’t got a pot to piss in
B) The league would value it at ‘fair market value’ and only allow that to contribute to FFP. Newcastle’s stadium naming rights was worth less than £2m a year

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #571 on: June 16, 2018, 08:54:25 AM »
For me I’d say we have to up for sale. I don’t think Xia will make any changes to the management team (involving payoffs etc) while we are in this position. Just can’t shake the feeling that this is ANOTHER wasted opportunity to do things ‘properly’.
Bruce was employed for one reason, he was allegedly the promotion ‘expert’. Style was sacrificed in exchange for a quick return to the prem. This short sighted approach has backfired and He has been an utter failure.
We are now in another new era, one of no big budgets, the requirement to be more dynamic and build a sustainable youthful team. One based on no more recruitment of OAP’s with zero sell on potential or lack of general ROI.
This new era is in dire need of a whole new coaching setup and approach. Bruce is NOT that man nor will he all of a sudden cast aside 10 years+ of management to change his ‘style’.

I have been a champion of Dean Smith for ages and would love to see him have a crack. If we tried something new and dynamic then the fans would give a lot of patience while we evolve. I just cannot see any patience being given to Bruce this season. Anymore no shows in the first/second half, his usual “that’s the championship” crap post match. He moaned about FFP constantly last season, god knows how bad it will be hearing every week how we’ve lost big players in Jack, Chester and JT but “that’s where we are”.
Granted I can see why some people think in this time of instability it’s the safer bet to have him. Ultimately though ‘the safer’ bet has contributed to this mess.

Rip it all up and start fresh I say

Yep, what we should have done when Xia arrived.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #572 on: June 16, 2018, 12:08:40 PM »
I was just having my orange juice and started thinking we should rip it up and start again.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #573 on: June 16, 2018, 01:09:11 PM »
I was just having my orange juice and started thinking we should rip it up and start again.

I Hope to God we can.  Somehow ;)

Offline stuart445

« Reply #574 on: June 16, 2018, 02:26:17 PM »
For me I’d say we have to up for sale. I don’t think Xia will make any changes to the management team (involving payoffs etc) while we are in this position. Just can’t shake the feeling that this is ANOTHER wasted opportunity to do things ‘properly’.
Bruce was employed for one reason, he was allegedly the promotion ‘expert’. Style was sacrificed in exchange for a quick return to the prem. This short sighted approach has backfired and He has been an utter failure.
We are now in another new era, one of no big budgets, the requirement to be more dynamic and build a sustainable youthful team. One based on no more recruitment of OAP’s with zero sell on potential or lack of general ROI.
This new era is in dire need of a whole new coaching setup and approach. Bruce is NOT that man nor will he all of a sudden cast aside 10 years+ of management to change his ‘style’.

I have been a champion of Dean Smith for ages and would love to see him have a crack. If we tried something new and dynamic then the fans would give a lot of patience while we evolve. I just cannot see any patience being given to Bruce this season. Anymore no shows in the first/second half, his usual “that’s the championship” crap post match. He moaned about FFP constantly last season, god knows how bad it will be hearing every week how we’ve lost big players in Jack, Chester and JT but “that’s where we are”.
Granted I can see why some people think in this time of instability it’s the safer bet to have him. Ultimately though ‘the safer’ bet has contributed to this mess.

I read right up until you said "the fans would give a lot of patience while we evolve."  Do you not know Villa fans actually scrap that do you not know the modern Football fan?  there is not a chance of patience whilst we evolve.

It's all very well calling for Dean Smith but the pressure at Brentford who are at the highest they have ever been so the fans are happy with where they are,  whereas here it couldn't be more different remember Paul Lambert he was like Dean Smith until we signed him.  I think some on here are underestimating the pressure of being the manager of Aston Villa. 

Houllier experienced manager struggled but was getting there until his heart stopped him,  McLeish experienced not spectacular but did ok,  Lambert Inexperienced Failed,  Sherwood Inexperienced brief success but ultimately failed,  Garde Inexperienced Failed, RDM relatively experienced failed (proved the Champions league was down to the players),  Bruce experienced i'd say succeeded as he was able to stop the rot and got us competitive again.

Villa need experienced managers as the pressure of expectation that a club like ours brings crushes an inexperienced manager.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #575 on: June 16, 2018, 02:31:44 PM »
Not sure if anyone has already talked of it elsewhere on this site, with regards to FFP, but what is to stop the Dr from renaming the stadium and training ground, like the noses have, to get round FFP ??

At the last count, it has only been mentioned about 550 times since the play off final.

Offline VinnieChase84

« Reply #576 on: June 16, 2018, 02:58:37 PM »

I read right up until you said "the fans would give a lot of patience while we evolve."  Do you not know Villa fans actually scrap that do you not know the modern Football fan?  there is not a chance of patience whilst we evolve.

It's all very well calling for Dean Smith but the pressure at Brentford who are at the highest they have ever been so the fans are happy with where they are,  whereas here it couldn't be more different remember Paul Lambert he was like Dean Smith until we signed him.  I think some on here are underestimating the pressure of being the manager of Aston Villa. 

Houllier experienced manager struggled but was getting there until his heart stopped him,  McLeish experienced not spectacular but did ok,  Lambert Inexperienced Failed,  Sherwood Inexperienced brief success but ultimately failed,  Garde Inexperienced Failed, RDM relatively experienced failed (proved the Champions league was down to the players),  Bruce experienced i'd say succeeded as he was able to stop the rot and got us competitive again.

Villa need experienced managers as the pressure of expectation that a club like ours brings crushes an inexperienced manager.

Brian Little - Leicester city
Gregory - Wycombe

They didn’t do too bad did they? Connection - they understood our club.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #577 on: June 16, 2018, 03:05:39 PM »

Gregory - Wycombe

you really don't know the modern football fan do you,   the football world was completely different when Gregory and Little was our manager.   you want Dean Smith here and expect him to have time to evolve?  sadly in the modern day if he didn't hit the ground running then the claws will be out for him.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #578 on: June 16, 2018, 03:06:36 PM »
You with Benteke is the perfect example Stuart  :P

Offline stuart445

« Reply #579 on: June 16, 2018, 03:10:27 PM »

how's Benteke been since he left us?  scoring for fun has he? 

27 goals since he left us, that's an average of 9 goals a season.  Says a lot really doesn't it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 03:17:20 PM by stuart445 »

Offline VinnieChase84

« Reply #580 on: June 16, 2018, 03:25:17 PM »

Gregory - Wycombe

you really don't know the modern football fan do you,   the football world was completely different when Gregory and Little was our manager.   you want Dean Smith here and expect him to have time to evolve?  sadly in the modern day if he didn't hit the ground running then the claws will be out for him.

That ‘could’ happen with whoever was in charge. If we saw different systems, attacking intent and a team who clearly want to play football, don’t know how you can say for certain a few results would result in claws being out.

So we’re forever dammed to a boring, ‘experienced’ manager cause we may not achieve anything but they could cope with the pressure!? Better call Mick McCarthy then if Bruce was to go.

How the hell will we ever know what could be achieved if we don’t give anyone a chance. Every successful player or manager ever, all started without the ‘experience’.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #581 on: June 16, 2018, 03:27:05 PM »

27 goals since he left us, that's an average of 9 goals a season.  Says a lot really doesn't it.

Says more that you keep coming out with that crap.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #582 on: June 16, 2018, 03:29:25 PM »

Gregory - Wycombe

That ‘could’ happen with whoever was in charge. If we saw different systems, attacking intent and a team who clearly want to play football, don’t know how you can say for certain a few results would result in claws being out.

So we’re forever dammed to a boring, ‘experienced’ manager cause we may not achieve anything but they could cope with the pressure!? Better call Mick McCarthy then if Bruce was to go.

How the hell will we ever know what could be achieved if we don’t give anyone a chance. Every successful player or manager ever, all started without the ‘experience’.

How will we ever know,  quite easily as your question has been answered already we tried inexperienced managers and we are now in the Championship

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #583 on: June 16, 2018, 03:30:26 PM »
36 including Internationals.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #584 on: June 16, 2018, 03:34:40 PM »

Says more that you keep coming out with that crap.

look at the stats since leaving us he has scored 27 goals that is an average of 9 a season.    This is not crap these are facts.  Benteke has played for 3 clubs in England and he's only been any good at 1,  so it turns out we was the exception rather than the rule.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal