collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony’s Statement.  (Read 322506 times)

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
Re: Tony’s Statement.
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2018, 03:39:47 PM »
I'm looking on the bright side, on the evidence of last season whether we have cash or not we should be able to compete. This depends on the performance of our manager. The current one doesn't play the most inspiring stuff but has an excellent record in this league and on limited resources. He may be replaced with another manager who could make a fist of it.

The ship that we all watched so forlornly sailing off into paradise on Saturday hasn't disappeared forever. It sets sail again in August and whatever the ramifications of FFP, Dr Tony's intentions, the limitations of Bruce or A. N. Other we can still climb aboard. The fine margins that saw us fail last year may fall in our favour this time around.

You never know, you know.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2018, 04:07:17 PM »
As Tony says he is a fan, can he pay for his ticket like other fans. £2m per game!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2018, 04:46:13 PM »
I've not seen that, if you're referring to the 7500 Steps to the Holte Blog on the matter from earlier in the year. Swiss Ramble definitely stated £39 million if nothing changed, which it now has to the tune of £12 million one way and commercial revenue the other way.

£39m is the amount we can lose over a 3 year period. The big question is how much money we need to save this coming season to stay within that £39m figure.

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2018, 05:02:03 PM »
I'd have to agree with others: Tony can't win.

I personally think it's refreshing to see him come out and be honest and say something, whereas under Randy we'd invariably wait months for him to come out with utter waffle.

As much as I'm no great fan of football under Bruce, it's very easy with hindsight to come out and say Bruce/Wyness has been a disaster when the reality is we were essentially one game away from actually succeeding! Again, please don't read that as me being a great fan of the style of play, it bores me to death but...

The other thing I'd say is that for years we've been crying out for football people on the board and no we have Wyness et al, suddenly we should get rid of them? And then what?

One thing's is for sure, like a few others on here, I'd love to see a footballing philosophy being built up now, start using our academy and build sustainably.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2018, 05:06:36 PM »
The other day the Birmingham Mail did a wonderfully dramatic story likening us to Coventry '83 or Hull a couple of years back and practically making out there would be a mass exodus and we would struggle to put eleven players out onto the pitch next season. What I got from Dr T's statement was that Bruce would be staying on and we would be giving it our best shot again whilst accepting that the financial picture has changed for us after two seasons out of the top flight. It is also worth remembering that Bruce is right up their with the best when it comes to utilising the loan market. I don't expect Swansea, Stoke or Albion to run away with the league next season. Nor do I expect any of the rest of last season's top ten (Boro, Derby, Preston, Millwall, Brentford and Sheff U) to suddenly become world beaters.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2018, 06:43:35 PM »
Steer

Bree
Chester
Elphick
Taylor

Jedinak

Green
Grealish
Hourihane
Albert

Kodjia

Is probably the best side we can put out now. Left hand side of defence is not as I would like, but that's a side easily capable of top 6, so I do not agree we've been left with nothing or starting from scratch. I think there's a great deal of anxiety exaggerating the situation into the chaos of not knowing for sure quite what will happen this summer.

Now i'm not the most optimistic person here but easily top 6? you sure? Our side finished 8 points off automatic promotion and 10 points off 7th. Now we've lost 6 1st team players from that squad. You have steer bree, elphick and taylor who have been well.... rather crap or untried and any injuries and we're down to the kids. Now you'd hope players will come in at some point by the start of the season but i'd be a bit worried if i was  relying on that defence to get us promoted.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:47:38 PM by sickbeggar »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #126 on: May 31, 2018, 07:22:49 PM »
Top six easily.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2018, 07:32:51 PM »
Pretty sure loans will come in too eg tuanzebe, but there is no doubt snoddy and Terry will be missed

Offline Ads

« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2018, 07:34:40 PM »
Snoddy will be missed for sure. But...that absence of pace may well have been the thing that cost us awaynfeom home in particular.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2018, 07:37:33 PM »
The other day the Birmingham Mail did a wonderfully dramatic story likening us to Coventry '83 or Hull a couple of years back and practically making out there would be a mass exodus and we would struggle to put eleven players out onto the pitch next season. What I got from Dr T's statement was that Bruce would be staying on and we would be giving it our best shot again whilst accepting that the financial picture has changed for us after two seasons out of the top flight. It is also worth remembering that Bruce is right up their with the best when it comes to utilising the loan market. I don't expect Swansea, Stoke or Albion to run away with the league next season. Nor do I expect any of the rest of last season's top ten (Boro, Derby, Preston, Millwall, Brentford and Sheff U) to suddenly become world beaters.

I tend to agree.  As an outsider looking in, I would see our recent couple of league finishes as signs that the club is on an upward trajectory.   Just because we lost the play-off final and we are bound to lose (and gain) some players this summer, it doesn't mean our objective has changed - in fact the Doc says our objective is exactly the same in his letter.  It would be great if some of the hysteria and negativity from the press could be nipped in the bud as soon as possible so that we can all get on with the business of positively refocussing on next season.  I think we have over 20k season tickets sold already for next season?  If we can get the positivity back quickly, there is no reason why we  won't shift a few thousand more and build up some real momentum for 2018-19.  If we take on board some lessons learnt from the season just gone we can have a fair old crack at it again next season.

Offline Ads

« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2018, 07:40:27 PM »
A good start is key. Get the momentum going in August and September and you only have to look at Cardiff, the Dingles, Brighton, Huddersfield etc.

Being behind the 8 ball from game 3 makes it hard.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2018, 07:47:35 PM »
At least there will be no more 8 touch ball now Gabby has gone.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2018, 07:48:03 PM »
Agree re the start. Top 6 after the 5th game and you have momentum. Playing catch up is tough.

We need a lot more pace through the side.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2018, 07:52:33 PM »
Being behind the 8 ball from game 3 makes it hard.

Eh?

Offline Ads

« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2018, 07:55:16 PM »
Google it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal