collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 12:48:46 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 12:46:44 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 12:48:46 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 12:46:44 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:40:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 12:38:12 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony’s Statement.  (Read 320895 times)

Offline Boz

Re: Tony’s Statement.
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2018, 08:53:33 AM »
That reads like a prelude to the manager’s departure.

That was my first thought as well.

A lot can be read into the statement, but underlying it is a change of manager, IMO

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2018, 09:07:02 AM »
I think as has been said before, it's deliberately vague and leaves the owner a lot of options.  You can read any meaning you want into it.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2018, 09:09:43 AM »
it's a work of genius to produce a statement which can be interpreted to say whatever you want it to say by numerous different people

I think George rr Martin might have been involved somewhere

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2018, 09:11:21 AM »
Agree with you Nigel.  With my gambler's hat on (and I did write a sports  betting column for 25 years) I stick to my prediction made here when Eric Black was allowing rigor mortis to set in that return to the Premiership was a 3-5 year haul.

What we lose in the upcoming season from the loss of better quality players we will make by having younger, more motivated, quicker players.  There will also be the improvement of either a new manager or the old one with a squib up his arse. 
Taken all round I see a marginally poorer season than the last with us getting into the bottom play off position but performing less negatively in them.

FFP will ease substantially in 19/20 and that is when we shall start to get some proper promotion momentum going.  In my opinion.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2018, 09:16:50 AM »
but effectively we are skint aren't we?. We have to make savings of £40m and we can't spend on new players.

£20m is the black hole. We lose half on wages of those being released and add a bit back in with Recon sponsorship. Not ideal but nowhere near the financial Armageddon about to be unleashed down the road. We will still be competitive but have to make more use of the kids as squad fillers than gubbing big money at the Whelan's and Taylor's of this world to stock it up. 

Offline john e

« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2018, 09:37:50 AM »
we've not really improved the playing squad over the last two seasons,
yes we went close using old established and loan players but it was all very short term and we have built nothing for the future

the loan players have returned and we are left with the shell which contains not a lot of anything to get excited about outside Grealish and Chester who both might leave anyway

the Lerner regime of Lambert/Fox was a disaster and we followed it up with the Xia regime of Bruce/Wyness which is no better

All the money has been spent, the decent loan players gone home and we are back to square one, in a worse place now than when we first dropped
we have a unenviable record of continually choosing rubbish managers who spend the money on overpriced over rated plodders and then we just do it all over again and again, we never learn

the silver lining is that the Championship is a league of poor quality football and any manager who has a clue about building a team to play football on the front foot and a clear definitive system rather than attrition and hoof ball could easily get the team into the promotion/playoff spots without spending millions

when Bruce goes either now or next year it will be a case of rebuilding again,
starting from scratch again,
it can't start until he goes whenever that happens, but then it will be time to hope again
hope for younger players busting their asses, hope for a more attacking approach to the game,

and most importantly of all hope that the a new manager can actually build something that remains solid with quality rather than something built on the short term sand

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2018, 09:43:01 AM »
Steer

Bree
Chester
Elphick
Taylor

Jedinak

Green
Grealish
Hourihane
Albert

Kodjia

Is probably the best side we can put out now. Left hand side of defence is not as I would like, but that's a side easily capable of top 6, so I do not agree we've been left with nothing or starting from scratch. I think there's a great deal of anxiety exaggerating the situation into the chaos of not knowing for sure quite what will happen this summer.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2018, 09:51:48 AM »
we've not really improved the playing squad over the last two seasons,
yes we went close using old established and loan players but it was all very short term and we have built nothing for the future

the loan players have returned and we are left with the shell which contains not a lot of anything to get excited about outside Grealish and Chester who both might leave anyway

the Lerner regime of Lambert/Fox was a disaster and we followed it up with the Xia regime of Bruce/Wyness which is no better

All the money has been spent, the decent loan players gone home and we are back to square one, in a worse place now than when we first dropped
we have a unenviable record of continually choosing rubbish managers who spend the money on overpriced over rated plodders and then we just do it all over again and again, we never learn

the silver lining is that the Championship is a league of poor quality football and any manager who has a clue about building a team to play football on the front foot and a clear definitive system rather than attrition and hoof ball could easily get the team into the promotion/playoff spots without spending millions

when Bruce goes either now or next year it will be a case of rebuilding again,
starting from scratch again,
it can't start until he goes whenever that happens, but then it will be time to hope again
hope for younger players busting their asses, hope for a more attacking approach to the game,

and most importantly of all hope that the a new manager can actually build something that remains solid with quality rather than something built on the short term sand

100% agree.

Offline john e

« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2018, 09:54:07 AM »
Steer

Bree
Chester
Elphick
Taylor

Jedinak

Green
Grealish
Hourihane
Albert

Kodjia

Is probably the best side we can put out now. Left hand side of defence is not as I would like, but that's a side easily capable of top 6, so I do not agree we've been left with nothing or starting from scratch. I think there's a great deal of anxiety exaggerating the situation into the chaos of not knowing for sure quite what will happen this summer.

if we start the season with Grealish and Chester it will be a right result
Plus there will be a few changes in playing staff depending on the managerial situation

it's not all doom and gloom in my view but we do need to start from scratch with a whole new playing philosophy, that's what I'm hoping for anyway

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2018, 09:55:19 AM »
Everyone is assuming we are going to get an automatic £<insert millions> from Recon sponsorship. Maybe Tony doesn't want to spunk his money away like that. Maybe he only wants to sponsor us on actual, genuine commercial terms.

I reckon I'm more of a Villa fan than he is and if I was a multi millionaire trying to become a billionaire I wouldn't just chuck my money at the club. It is valuable capital he may well need to grow his other businesses.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2018, 10:09:15 AM »
Steer

Bree
Chester
Elphick
Taylor

Jedinak

Green
Grealish
Hourihane
Albert

Kodjia

if we start the season with Grealish and Chester it will be a right result
Plus there will be a few changes in playing staff depending on the managerial situation

it's not all doom and gloom in my view but we do need to start from scratch with a whole new playing philosophy, that's what I'm hoping for anyway

I agree with your last line. A greater focus on ball retention, pace and movement in the final third.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2018, 10:17:33 AM »
None of the on loan players returning to their respective clubs are good enough to hold down a spot in the Premiership Grealish was our own standout of the season. that's why I'm not totally devastated because for some time I have believed we were nowhere near structurally strong enough to face a season in the Prem. Apart from Grealish not one Villa player was good enough and that includes the likes of Terry, too old and too slow, we would have had to perform a miracle and sign almost a new team and get them gelling before the season started, impossible.
That's disastrous short term planning.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2018, 10:46:18 AM »
We are all aware that we will face severe FFP challenges next season. I am an Aston Villa fan. But I am also a businessman.  Under the current circumstances, I think the club needs to rethink not only the past two years but also the past ten years. Villa needs to be a sustainable football club. People join. People leave. That is the cycle of football.

There's no A Level English symbolism exercise there, it is there in black and white.

I'd have preferred him to say nothing, to be honest. At least leave us with some sort of sign of positivity, of hope, but it reads to me like a 'tighten your belts, lean times ahead' message and there is absolutely nothing there which suggests 'I'd love to invest more, but I'm stopped by FFP'

I won't quote the whole thing but the bit about needing a rethink is everything I wanted to see, our recruitment policy (for football staff and players) has been a fucking disgrace for years, we've spent huge amounts of money on players with no resale value, we've continuously created squads with over-abundance in some positions and gaps in others, we've signed young players and completely fucked things up by not training them properly. We've lurched from style to style and rarely given any manager the time needed to shape a squad suitable for his style, but in many cases that's not a bad thing because they've been so poor.

The team Ads posted is decent enough to be competitive but I think we'd need another centre half (but that could easily be Tuanzebe) and I'm very uncomfortable with Taylor being in there, if we could move him on and get a replacement without a huge outlay that would be pretty high up the list for me. I'd also like to have Bjarnason in for Jedinak for most games but I suspect that's unlikely because he's one of the few players we could make a decent profit on (if he has a decent world cup). If he does leave then I'd like someone with some legs for that role but Maybe Lyden could step up, if his injury problems are now behind him.

After that if we had anything to spend I'd like another winger with real pace, Green is still young and Adomah has shown that he blows hot and cold so having a 3rd player to compete with them would be sensible.  I'm not sure that Corey Taylor is good enough and I prefer O'Hare central as cover for Jack.

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2018, 10:48:33 AM »
When I first read the statement, I was convinced it was purely preparing us for Jack's departure. But thinking about it, from a business point of view, it wouldn't be a particularly good idea to let the world know that you need to sell your most valuable asset. That's surely not the way to get the best price...? You say you're not going to sell or, more likely, you don't refer to it at all.

So, to my mind, we've either already agreed a deal for Jack (which I'd say is unlikely, but not impossible), or he was only talking about Bruce going and that the new guy will be making plenty of changes. Which you'd imagine. And hope for.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2018, 11:01:02 AM »
Quote from: john e link=topic=58696.msg3433075#msg3433075 date=1527755870[/quote

Well said john e. Let's grow organically. We tried the fast fix method and we have failed miserably. Let's start with a decent coach  and if this rebuilding means we are in this division  for  a little while than so be it. There is no need to slash our wrists...............................just now :)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal