collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony’s Statement.  (Read 320749 times)

Offline stuart445

Re: Tony’s Statement.
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2018, 12:05:08 AM »
This all smacks a bit of damned if he does...

Is the correct answer.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2018, 12:08:24 AM »
As much as i was against employing Bruce, the feeling i got at the time of his employment, on here at least, was we had to get promoted NOW, so they weren't really going against the grain when they ditched RDM as far as a lot of us were concerned. I always thought the fans panicked and then the club followed suit, and Mr. Guaranteed Promotion turned up.

Look on the bright side, we could have gone up and been down next season with an expensively assembled collection of Bruceball merchants to get rid off. At least now we only have Richards.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2018, 12:10:58 AM »
What should the statement have said?
It should have said “ Obviously not getting promoted wasn’t what we wanted, however we planned for both eventualities and will move forward with no fire sales and a great group of youngsters waiting in the wings to be integrated with our senior pros . We will make a formidable challenge next season”
How does that sound ?

Sounds like you're addressing insecurities that are personal to you. Who says there's going to be a fire sale?

He's made a statement. Says he's gutted. Says we're going to be smothered by FFP, but this isn't a surprise. Thanks Bruce. And then again.

This isn't an A-Level English exam. There's no marks for identifying symbolism. If there's anything to read between the lines it's that Bruce and his time is up.

Yes, and he also says:

We are all aware that we will face severe FFP challenges next season. I am an Aston Villa fan. But I am also a businessman.  Under the current circumstances, I think the club needs to rethink not only the past two years but also the past ten years. Villa needs to be a sustainable football club. People join. People leave. That is the cycle of football.

There's no A Level English symbolism exercise there, it is there in black and white.

I'd have preferred him to say nothing, to be honest. At least leave us with some sort of sign of positivity, of hope, but it reads to me like a 'tighten your belts, lean times ahead' message and there is absolutely nothing there which suggests 'I'd love to invest more, but I'm stopped by FFP'

You mean apart from where he mentions we will face severe FFP Challenges.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2018, 05:08:55 AM »
Well I’m glad he hasn’t remained silent  everybody on this site predicted if we didn’t get promoted there would be consequences.  So from what I hear from his statement, financial stability takes precedence and if can get promoted it’ll be a bonus.  I know going up financially is huge thing but,as I remember it Randy was in line to take a huge chunk, and so where some of our non performing players in bonuses and automatic pay rises. We were always going to see a lot of change re loan players and returning loanees let’s hang on for the ride and see where it takes us with or without SB. UTV

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2018, 05:59:21 AM »
This all smacks a bit of damned if he does...

Is the correct answer.

This is the consequence of being a leader.  He came in on a white steed giving rhetoric about top six in five years.  He's as much to blame as Bruce or Wyness for allowing it to happen, I guess, hence the I'm still gutted comment. He is a little damned if he does to be fair, but, perhaps he could have said something to sell season tickets lol.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2018, 06:11:47 AM »
Whatever happens the squad will be weakened this summer. I just can't see it having the quality or depth to sustain a promotion challenge. Mid table at best.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2018, 06:33:45 AM »
I drafted dozens of statements like this when I worked in corporate marketing. They were all issued reluctantly by Chairmen/Managing Directors etc and were designed to say something without actually saying anything specific ( which would , in the main, have been better). Invariably this resulted in further media speculation which created even more uncertainty and further rounds of corporate speak until the real truth manifested itself. I read the Dr's words  as being akin to a worldwide plea for Villa fans to rummage around the backs of their sofas to donate any money found there. We're skint, and will be taking every fiscal measure available to stop bleeding money. Once all the  marketable assets have been sold, we might be able to plug a few gaps with frees and loans.So we are now Ipswich Town but with the added burden of a huge stadium and associated infra-structure. If Dean Smith wants to take that situation on, I for one will applaud him.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2018, 07:12:40 AM »
Yes. We're not permitted to horse cash at it, so we try something new. Hardly ground breaking is it? There will be change, but then there always is.

That to me means we are saying ta'ta to a fat squad whereby 35k a week players who don't make the 18 will be gone the sort of out a businessman can get behind.
Who will buy the £35k a week players from us? Angela will be here till his contract runs out.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2018, 07:41:54 AM »
Whatever happens the squad will be weakened this summer. I just can't see it having the quality or depth to sustain a promotion challenge. Mid table at best.

You could take a lot of players out of this squad and, on paper at least, it would still be much better than Millwall or Preston who were just outside the play offs

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2018, 07:42:47 AM »
I drafted dozens of statements like this when I worked in corporate marketing. They were all issued reluctantly by Chairmen/Managing Directors etc and were designed to say something without actually saying anything specific ( which would , in the main, have been better). Invariably this resulted in further media speculation which created even more uncertainty and further rounds of corporate speak until the real truth manifested itself. I read the Dr's words  as being akin to a worldwide plea for Villa fans to rummage around the backs of their sofas to donate any money found there. We're skint, and will be taking every fiscal measure available to stop bleeding money. Once all the  marketable assets have been sold, we might be able to plug a few gaps with frees and loans.So we are now Ipswich Town but with the added burden of a huge stadium and associated infra-structure. If Dean Smith wants to take that situation on, I for one will applaud him.

Were not skint

Offline nigel

« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2018, 07:59:16 AM »
I actually think we could surprise a few next season.
Our hand has now been forced to use these talented lads we have on our books, with the more exerienced players.
Get a manager in who can play them correctly and we're not going to be far off. Maybe not automatic  promotion, but there or there abouts for play offs, again.

Oddly enough the perfect manager for this scenario would have been Reme Guarde!

Offline FranzBiberkopf

« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2018, 08:29:56 AM »
It's a "clear the decks" statement. Reads to me like Bruce will be leaving with a modicum of pride. I would assume there will be a cull in non playing positions too - especially Wyness and Round (for. Director of Football, there doesn't seem to be much "direction" in evidence).

I'm ok with kicking it over to start again . Do we really want a other 12 months of watching theimes of Lansbury have a good 30 minutes every 6 games and then disappear for months? Or.Hogan run around like.an ineffectual puppy for the 20 minutes he.comes.on from the bench every couple.of weeks?

I don't have a.clue who to suggest as a  manager. I neither do I suspect does Xia.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2018, 08:33:16 AM »
but effectively we are skint aren't we?. We have to make savings of £40m and we can't spend on new players.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2018, 08:44:20 AM »
No. Skint means you have no money to invest. Tony has bundles. We are just restricted by regulations which strangle competition, designed to protect a cartel of elite European clubs who became terrified that oiks like Man City could gatecrash their Misnomer Money Making League.

It's the anthisis of articles 101 and 102.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2018, 08:51:28 AM »
The squad may be weakened …
but we may end with a more balanced team, supported by players with more understanding of their capabilities and limitations.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal