collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by Hookeysmith
[Today at 11:47:55 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Hookeysmith
[Today at 11:46:04 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by LeeB
[Today at 11:43:54 AM]

Kits 23/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 11:40:09 AM]

FFP by Drummond
[Today at 11:39:05 AM]

International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Games Moved for TV by olaftab
[Today at 09:19:58 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by Hookeysmith
[Today at 11:47:55 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Hookeysmith
[Today at 11:46:04 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by LeeB
[Today at 11:43:54 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Hookeysmith

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Drummond

Re: FFP by Drummond
[Today at 11:39:05 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Drummond
[Today at 11:38:21 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 11:36:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial fair play  (Read 219884 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Financial fair play
« Reply #615 on: September 26, 2018, 10:41:22 PM »
Thing is, we're all moaning about FFP in the championship but if they had bought it in for the premiership wouldn't we have been in the shit earlier. I seem to remember us making an 80m loss somewhere along the line. wouldn't we have had a points deduction anyway?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #616 on: September 26, 2018, 11:14:30 PM »
I don't think so because I believe a huge amount of that was related to the sale of the club and a conversion of loans to equity.

Offline mike

« Reply #617 on: October 16, 2018, 12:11:39 PM »
Calling H & V accountants. Christian Purslow appears to have unequivocally stated that we are fine by FFP regs. Can I now stop worrying or is this double speak?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #618 on: October 16, 2018, 12:20:46 PM »
Calling H & V accountants. Christian Purslow appears to have unequivocally stated that we are fine by FFP regs. Can I now stop worrying or is this double speak?

He's lost me.   I don't know the details of the FFP regs but unless there is something in there about changes in ownership I don't see how we won't be massively over the allowable loss limit by the end of this season.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #619 on: October 16, 2018, 12:47:02 PM »
I always thought there was latitude for a change of ownership. Great to finally move forward after the doom and gloom of the summer.

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #620 on: October 16, 2018, 01:33:37 PM »

He's lost me.   I don't know the details of the FFP regs but unless there is something in there about changes in ownership I don't see how we won't be massively over the allowable loss limit by the end of this season.
That's the only way I see it but surely the journos would of reported all that when the new owners bought us. So we were in the shit under Xia, new owners buy us, wipe all debts and FFP disappears?

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #621 on: October 16, 2018, 01:49:34 PM »
When Xia bought the club there was an issue over if he had the necessary funds. At some point someone in the FA hierarchy saw a bank balance and said "ok"

Although not fully up to speed with the nuances of FFP (who actually is?) I always was under the impression that it was to safe guard against teams busting themselves financially chasing the premiership dream. Surely one glance at our owners bank balance would result in possibly a limit on how much we could throw at it at this time but as far as going bust more likely a  "That will do nicely Sir"

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #622 on: October 16, 2018, 02:02:09 PM »
FFP shouldn't make big clubs the "great unwashed" - Chelsea chairman

Alan Baldwin- Reuters
3 MIN READ

LONDON (Reuters) - Financial fair play rules should not lump big clubs like Chelsea and Manchester City with the ranks of the “great unwashed”, Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck said on Thursday.

The American suggested inequality in soccer was not necessarily a bad thing and said the rules now denied other clubs the chance of one day rising like Chelsea to the top of the Premier League.

“I personally believe that for the development of football, marquee clubs and marquee players are important,” Buck told the Leaders Sport Business summit at Chelsea’s Stamford Bridge ground.

“I am not, as a general proposition, in favour of dumbing down the large clubs in order to make all clubs the great unwashed. They’ve done that in the U.S. over the last 20 years and I think it’s been to the detriment, particularly of baseball.

“MLS (Major League Soccer) started with that model of competitive balance...and I just don’t think it works for the long term.”

Buck said there were 10 or 12 big clubs in Europe at present and he expected those same ones to be at the top in five or 10 years time.

“The dream in England is, if you support a Conference team, that some day you’ll win the Premier League. Financial Fair Play has pluses and minuses, and one of the minuses is that dream is now over.

“What Chelsea did in 2003, what Man City did five years later, that’s virtually impossible to do under financial fair play,” he added.

Chelsea had won only one English league top tier title, in 1954-55, until Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich bought the club in 2003. They have since won five Premier League championships.

Champions Manchester City, now level on points with Chelsea and Liverpool at the top, had not won the league title since 1968 when they were taken over in 2008 by Abu Dhabi United Group.

The following year they spent more in the transfer market than any other English club and have since won three Premier League titles.

Buck said clubs had to find their “natural position” in the football hierarchy, while also seeking to improve.

With the exception of Leicester City in 2016 and Blackburn Rovers in 1995, Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City and Arsenal have won every Premier League title since the 1992-93 season.

“I don’t think we should assume that because every club is not equal, that therefore it’s bad,” Buck said.

European soccer’s governing body UEFA introduced a Financial Fair Play break-even rule in 2011 to stop clubs spending beyond their generated revenue.

The policy is designed to prevent rich owners from trying to buy success and distort the transfer market.

Teams can be thrown out of European competition for breaching the rules but UEFA has generally negotiated settlements with offending clubs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all you need to know about FFP for the big clubs isn't it? What an utter twat.

Online Duncan Shaw

« Reply #623 on: October 16, 2018, 02:14:53 PM »
Wanker

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #624 on: October 16, 2018, 02:40:45 PM »
FFP shouldn't make big clubs the "great unwashed" - Chelsea chairman

Alan Baldwin- Reuters
3 MIN READ

LONDON (Reuters) - Financial fair play rules should not lump big clubs like Chelsea and Manchester City with the ranks of the “great unwashed”, Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck said on Thursday.

The American suggested inequality in soccer was not necessarily a bad thing and said the rules now denied other clubs the chance of one day rising like Chelsea to the top of the Premier League.

“I personally believe that for the development of football, marquee clubs and marquee players are important,” Buck told the Leaders Sport Business summit at Chelsea’s Stamford Bridge ground.

“I am not, as a general proposition, in favour of dumbing down the large clubs in order to make all clubs the great unwashed. They’ve done that in the U.S. over the last 20 years and I think it’s been to the detriment, particularly of baseball.

“MLS (Major League Soccer) started with that model of competitive balance...and I just don’t think it works for the long term.”

Buck said there were 10 or 12 big clubs in Europe at present and he expected those same ones to be at the top in five or 10 years time.

“The dream in England is, if you support a Conference team, that some day you’ll win the Premier League. Financial Fair Play has pluses and minuses, and one of the minuses is that dream is now over.

“What Chelsea did in 2003, what Man City did five years later, that’s virtually impossible to do under financial fair play,” he added.

Chelsea had won only one English league top tier title, in 1954-55, until Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich bought the club in 2003. They have since won five Premier League championships.

Champions Manchester City, now level on points with Chelsea and Liverpool at the top, had not won the league title since 1968 when they were taken over in 2008 by Abu Dhabi United Group.

The following year they spent more in the transfer market than any other English club and have since won three Premier League titles.

Buck said clubs had to find their “natural position” in the football hierarchy, while also seeking to improve.

With the exception of Leicester City in 2016 and Blackburn Rovers in 1995, Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City and Arsenal have won every Premier League title since the 1992-93 season.

“I don’t think we should assume that because every club is not equal, that therefore it’s bad,” Buck said.

European soccer’s governing body UEFA introduced a Financial Fair Play break-even rule in 2011 to stop clubs spending beyond their generated revenue.

The policy is designed to prevent rich owners from trying to buy success and distort the transfer market.

Teams can be thrown out of European competition for breaching the rules but UEFA has generally negotiated settlements with offending clubs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all you need to know about FFP for the big clubs isn't it? What an utter twat.

I don't think the headline actually reflects what he's saying though.....he's basically saying what we all are , which is that if you have rich owners then it should be ok for them to use those funds to make the club  better and FFP trying to create a level playing field is what means that the same handful of clubs (which have already become big, in 2 cases directly through investment before FFP came in) will dominate the league now. What he says in that article is pretty much exactly what we say about Villa now  isn't it?

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #625 on: October 16, 2018, 03:44:13 PM »
Didn't Purslow also say he was on the committee that devised FFP?  If so, surely he will know it like the back of his hand and can navigate round it just fine?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #626 on: October 16, 2018, 04:14:25 PM »
Didn't Purslow also say he was on the committee that devised FFP?  If so, surely he will know it like the back of his hand and can navigate round it just fine?
He did.  But I still think the way he said ‘buy and sell players in January’ the plan is still to fund with the sale of Grealish or some other assets

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #627 on: October 16, 2018, 04:25:28 PM »
How can the club possibly ‘plan’ based on the sale of Grealish, that just makes no sense whatsoever and makes all kinds of assumptions about, fitness, injury, form and most importantly, someone willing to pay the release clause.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #628 on: October 16, 2018, 04:28:47 PM »
How can the club possibly ‘plan’ based on the sale of Grealish, that just makes no sense whatsoever and makes all kinds of assumptions about, fitness, injury, form and most importantly, someone willing to pay the release clause.

I agree, I think that's highly unlikely.  I think he was just talking about backing Smith to get rid of people he doesn't want, even with the mess of the defence it's still the case that our squad is a bit too big which makes it hard to get the young players involved, I suspect that will be addressed over the next 2-3 windows, especially with there being a fair few contracts coming to an end next summer.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #629 on: October 16, 2018, 08:39:11 PM »

If we want to sell Grealish, we can sell him for whatever fee (below the release clause fee) we want.  If we do not want to sell him, a club can only buy him if they meet the release clause fee.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal