collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by amfy
[Today at 07:14:31 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial fair play  (Read 219745 times)

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Financial fair play
« Reply #315 on: June 01, 2018, 07:54:15 PM »
The more I hear about FFP, coupled with the fact that other clubs don't seem to be fearing it one bit, has left me wondering why we're just lying down and taking our fucking without putting up any kind of fight. I suspect we're being taken for a ride.

I don't think it's true that other clubs aren't fearing it. There's these rumours of a dozen clubs falling foul, yet from what I've seen only us and Wolves spent what might be considered loads recently.

In fact, type "[championship club name of your choice] fear ffp" into Google* and you'll get links to other forums and boards debating exactly this. Some Wednesday fans reckon the early window is a blessing as it'll stop them getting sanctioned.

*other search engines are available.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #316 on: June 01, 2018, 08:14:20 PM »
How much are we in debt?

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #317 on: June 01, 2018, 08:26:42 PM »

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #318 on: June 01, 2018, 08:48:46 PM »
The more I hear about FFP, coupled with the fact that other clubs don't seem to be fearing it one bit, has left me wondering why we're just lying down and taking our fucking without putting up any kind of fight. I suspect we're being taken for a ride.
Nobody wants to be a test case.

QPR did

Suspect they regretted it

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #319 on: June 01, 2018, 08:52:09 PM »
How much are we in debt?
It’s not debt that is the problem, it is the last 2 years of trading losses.
The estimations suggest we are carrying £80 million of losses which we have to reduce by producing about £40 million of profits.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #320 on: June 01, 2018, 09:39:16 PM »
How much are we in debt?
The estimations suggest we are carrying £80 million of losses which we have to reduce by producing about £40 million of profits.

Not quite.

Our losses over the past two seasons indicate that by the end of next season, if we do nothing, we'll have breached FFP by £40-£50m.  So we have to find that much in savings (not profits).  If we manage to break even in 18/19 we'll have done it.  But given two years ago we lost £14m and next year our parachute payments will be £30m less than they were in that year, breaking even is going to need some pretty fundamental changes - as alluded to in Tone's statement.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #321 on: June 01, 2018, 09:54:07 PM »
It's a backwards situation. Tony has, probably, money to spend on the club but is being prevented from doing so by rules that, 'to ensure fair play', potentially means the club has to sell off its most valuable assets. Makes no sense. Not logical.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #322 on: June 01, 2018, 10:21:16 PM »
Slightly different case but apparently Uefa's financial investigators have recommended banning AC Milan from next season's europa league as their spending spree last summer went way over the limit apparently.

« Reply #323 on: June 01, 2018, 10:27:26 PM »
How much are we in debt?

I understand that but does FFP actually do what it is trying to do when a club is bought by a new owner and a lot of the previous losses are carried away by the former owner.

As an example, if we were £20m in debt but making a £5m operating profit that looked to be sustainable or increased, the club would be in a far healthier financial position than many clubs that are not at risk from FFP.  How is FFP helping, particularly as the previous losses will have gone outside of football.

Wasn't FFP brought in to protect the financial state of clubs and the stability of the leagues.  Perhaps if the clubs that previously went into administration had been demoted to the bottom division, we wouldn't have needed FFP.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #324 on: June 01, 2018, 10:55:51 PM »
As I said in another thread I read somewhere that 12 clubs have already failed ffp in the season just ended.  Blues are one.  I am guessing Derby might be another.  The teams that went up might be others.  So why the fcuk and when the fcuk is something going to be happening to them?

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #325 on: June 01, 2018, 11:22:01 PM »
As I said in another thread I read somewhere that 12 clubs have already failed ffp in the season just ended.  Blues are one.  I am guessing Derby might be another.  The teams that went up might be others.  So why the fcuk and when the fcuk is something going to be happening to them?

I posted Yesterday that Derby are losing £3mil a month and facing a £10mil fine for FFP

Shef Wednesday made a big loss and could have issues also

Fulham and Cardiff had run out of TV cash so could of been in trouble too and Wolves would likely be in our position now

QPR its well known they have a £40mil fine they are continuing to fight ,there's hilights the flaw of the system they made a loss their owners paid off the debt but the EFL still says its a loss so want to punish them .The whole point was to avoid a Portsmouth situation but when an owner actually has the cash and pays the loss's the EFL still feel the need to take action ..

Birmingham filled accounts late and are apparently in trouble

Most clubs in the league are struggling money wise and unless a club sells someone for a large fee I think the transfer fee's in the league will be low this season

« Reply #326 on: June 01, 2018, 11:32:52 PM »
The difference in finances between the PL and Championship is killing the game.  The more the gap widens, the more the parachute payments become and the more it creates an advantage for the relegated clubs.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #327 on: June 01, 2018, 11:54:29 PM »
The difference is we're Aston Villa and nobody gives a good fuck about these other clubs outside their fan base. We sell copy and bait clicks.

Small Heath going to the wall? So fucking what.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #328 on: June 01, 2018, 11:57:28 PM »
How much are we in debt?

Not quite.

Our losses over the past two seasons indicate that by the end of next season, if we do nothing, we'll have breached FFP by £40-£50m.  So we have to find that much in savings (not profits).  If we manage to break even in 18/19 we'll have done it.  But given two years ago we lost £14m and next year our parachute payments will be £30m less than they were in that year, breaking even is going to need some pretty fundamental changes - as alluded to in Tone's statement.
We can either achieve by this generating  profit eg player sales over and above their cost or reducing costs or a combination of both if you want to be semantic.
Or we can even create additional revenue by selling other assets above cost or by attracting sponsorship etc.
Either way by your estimation we have to find an additional £40 mil + from somewhere.
Most importantly it looks impossible to do this without selling Grealish.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #329 on: June 01, 2018, 11:59:48 PM »
The difference in finances between the PL and Championship is killing the game.  The more the gap widens, the more the parachute payments become and the more it creates an advantage for the relegated clubs.

Not so much ,the payments are not  enough if you are carrying over loss's in the Prem League look at Sunderland at as extreme example.They didn't have much money to spend and carried on their form from the season before and went down.

In last 2 seasons only Newcastle who came down have gone straight back up and we made the PO as did Boro but the other teams where no where close at all

But your right the TV money difference is killing the game because if you have budgeted to be in PL and go down the FFP  rules and how they work out loss's ( the EFL version ) will screw you if you can't get back up quickly.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal