collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by astonvilla82
[Today at 06:07:12 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by astonvilla82
[Today at 06:07:12 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial fair play  (Read 219702 times)

Offline robleflaneur

Re: Financial fair play
« Reply #195 on: May 30, 2018, 01:08:44 PM »
Newcastle were going to rename their ground,Sports Direct Arena.It was the fans who stopped it.If Villa Park had been renamed 6 years ago,most of our fans would have been against it .Could be the reason why Old Trafford and Anfield.'s naming rights are not sold,plus they get so much money,another x million is not worth the hassle.
.It's not the usage by the average fan that is important but use in the media,the reason why sponsor names are on shirts.So it has a value and that's why the Oval is known as the Kia Oval,an example of a well established ground being renamed.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #196 on: May 30, 2018, 01:08:45 PM »
And it doesn't have to be commercially viable if the person sponsoring it is the same person that owns the club and is just using it as a way to pump a few million into the club.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #197 on: May 30, 2018, 01:10:19 PM »
Newcastle were going to rename their ground,Sports Direct Arena.It was the fans who stopped it.

It spent a year called that and then Wonga bought the commercial rights including stadium naming. They probably, wisely, decided that The Wonga Stadium would be a really shit name and reverted back to SJP, but they still paid for the naming rights.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 01:15:09 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #198 on: May 30, 2018, 01:27:37 PM »
Newcastle were going to rename their ground,Sports Direct Arena.It was the fans who stopped it.

It spent a year called that and then Wonga bought the commercial rights including stadium naming. They probably, wisely, decided that The Wonga Stadium would be a really shit name and reverted back to SJP, but they still paid for the naming rights.
I should have read your posts before posting.Even with my dysfunctional memory,to be able to remember Kia as the Oval's sponsor proves that naming rights can work.However,I was under the illusion that they made an orange drink.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #199 on: May 30, 2018, 01:50:54 PM »
Naming rights aren't worth much though if no-one uses the name.

It's not a coincidence that the only stadia to sell naming rights in the UK are those which were purpose built - Emirates, Etihad, Bet365, Macron, etc, whilst at the same time, the two most famous stadia in the country, Old Trafford and Anfield, haven't sold naming rights.  It's simply the case that where a stadium is established no-one's going to pay much to rename it because everyone will keep using the old name.

The other obvious example was when Newcastle tried to rename St James Park, and after realising no-one would pay for it, they gave up.

This bit show that you didn't really read what I wrote so I'll repeat it, we're not looking to sell naming rights to anyone, we're looking at sponsoring ourselves through another company Xia owns so we don't need to show how they would get a return on investment, all we need to do is prove to a panel that the deal we're looking to put in place is fair.  There are plenty of little ways to do that and all together I think you're looking at a decent sum, not enough to completely ignore FFP but this could well be the difference between selling Chester or not, for example.

Yet another example of why I really should stick to my rule of not reading or responding to your posts.

Sigh, fine, don't read or reply but please stop repeating that the stadium rights are worthless when you have no idea if it's true or not.

Offline frank black

« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »
Posting here as well, no good news from Tony:

I know that all the Villa fans experienced a very frustrating and disappointing Play-Off Final last Saturday. After seeing many Villa supporters on Twitter hoping that I can publish a statement as soon as possible, I feel like it would be best for me to write the following words when I am relatively calm. 

I care as much about this club as anyone. Even though I am back in Beijing, I still can't recover from our game at Wembley. The emotion needs time to heal. However, I know that all our management staff, coaches, players and myself need to get back on our feet and prepare to fight again.  Like everyone else, I'm delighted to see that under Steve’s management this season, we demonstrated character and unity. We fought like a team. Indeed, the loss is a pity, but we know how much effort and hard work our coaching staff and players put in this season. I want to thank Steve from the bottom of my heart, particularly for his remarkable level of professional focus despite losing his parents this year. With that, I would like to say thank you to Steve and his coaching staff once again for leading the team forward wholeheartedly throughout the season. 

We are all aware that we will face severe FFP challenges next season. I am an Aston Villa fan. But I am also a businessman. Under the current circumstances, I think the club needs to rethink not only the past two years but also the past ten years. Villa needs to be a sustainable football club. People join. People leave. That is the cycle of football. But the football club always remains through it all.  This is the ultimate reality that cannot be changed, but I can assure you that everyone behind the scenes is working tirelessly towards achieving our ultimate goal. 

We have been heavily investing for the past two seasons. However, the loss on Saturday means that we need to change a lot of things. No one wanted to see the club have to go through this, but I believe that only changes can help the club to progress towards the positive direction and this requires the joint efforts of everyone associated with this great football club.  No matter what the changes will be, I sincerely hope that everyone can unite and overcome the challenges together. Our goal has not changed and as long as we believe, regardless of how tough the process will be, I am sure we will succeed in the end. 

Thank you very much once again for all your support.

Chairman
Dr Tony Xia

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #201 on: May 30, 2018, 05:13:05 PM »
And it doesn't have to be commercially viable if the person sponsoring it is the same person that owns the club and is just using it as a way to pump a few million into the club.

It does.  FFP includes anti-abuse rules which say that transactions between connected parties (which Recon clearly is to the Villa) need to be at market value or they're removed from the calculation.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #202 on: May 30, 2018, 05:20:04 PM »
Nothing we didn't already know.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #203 on: May 30, 2018, 05:22:42 PM »
The biggest thing I take from the statement is that Bruce will be off.

Offline frank black

« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2018, 05:23:46 PM »
The biggest thing I take from the statement is that Bruce will be off.

I thought the opposite? Could be a goodbye perhaps
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 05:25:43 PM by frank black »

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2018, 05:28:34 PM »
Yeah, I didn't think it read like Bruce was going anywhere. The biggest hint I took from that is that any outgoing is fair game.

Offline frank black

« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »
Yeah, I didn't think it read like Bruce was going anywhere. The biggest hint I took from that is that any outgoing is fair game.

This. The neg ferret in me read it as goodbye Jack 😔

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #207 on: May 30, 2018, 05:31:33 PM »

I appreciate how he got back to us all so quickly.

It's clear players will be sold under this message

I also like how he is as transparent as he can be. Very honourable and decent.

Fair play. We all feeling the hurt.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #208 on: May 30, 2018, 05:57:07 PM »
I read it once and it meant that Bruce was staying. After second reading it sounds like curtains for Steve.

Fuck knows!

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #209 on: May 30, 2018, 06:04:32 PM »
At least no talk of Shummanites - although its about as clear.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal