collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 09:52:01 AM]

Kits 23/24 by chrisw1
[Today at 09:44:42 AM]

FFP by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 09:39:25 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by aj2k77
[Today at 09:29:53 AM]

Games Moved for TV by olaftab
[Today at 09:19:58 AM]

International Rugby by nigel
[Today at 07:38:44 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial fair play  (Read 219818 times)

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
Re: Financial fair play
« Reply #180 on: May 30, 2018, 08:47:30 AM »
A bit more invention perhaps - Villa Park becoming the "Recon Arena" or "Recon Villa Park" for £30m a season for 5 years? Has Dr Tony got the financial clout??

In my opinion we have been preparing for this as soon as we couldn't secure a top 2 place. With the announcement of the training ground sponsorship etc.
If we can add £30m to the coffers to rename the ground then we should do it. Everyone will still call it Villa park anyway.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #181 on: May 30, 2018, 08:57:01 AM »
One of the less obvious reasons I wanted us to go up was to see the colour of Dr T's money.  I do believe he's genuine and has the financial clout, but there is that nagging suspicion he is hiding behind the FFP thing.  Had we gone up there would have been no excuse and we could have seen what he was all about in his plan to get us to Eurpoean domination.

I'm still confused as to how some teams seem to be able to swerve it better than others - surely Wolves were outspending their turnover - and yet we always seem to have to fall in line.

Wolves made a profit in 2 of the 3 previous seasons. A big loss last season, and you assume they'll have a loss for this one, so would probably have been fecked if they hadn't gone up.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #182 on: May 30, 2018, 11:21:20 AM »
Are we the only club that seems bothered about FFP? If 12 clubs have failed it this season and we’re yet to see any fines, transfer embargo’s or points deductions it doesn’t seem like the league are taking it that seriously!?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #183 on: May 30, 2018, 11:25:19 AM »
Are we the only club that seems bothered about FFP? If 12 clubs have failed it this season and we’re yet to see any fines, transfer embargo’s or points deductions it doesn’t seem like the league are taking it that seriously!?

I don't know if we're the only club taking it seriously, but we do seem to be the only one that's been worried about it ever since it was introduced.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #184 on: May 30, 2018, 11:28:52 AM »

I don't know if we're the only club taking it seriously, but we do seem to be the only one that's been worried about it ever since it was introduced.

Well we’re the biggest club to have been relegated and then not got back up, so the disparity in our income and outgoings is huge.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #185 on: May 30, 2018, 11:37:10 AM »

If it wasn't for Wyness' clear frustration at the regulations and potential restrictions, I'd be suspecting it's all just a clever/convenient excuse for curtailing spending.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #186 on: May 30, 2018, 12:04:14 PM »
Is everybody a chartered accountant all of a sudden?
I am English teacher and I can tell you all that the utterance "We must sort our bloody finances out" is an expression of deontic modality.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #187 on: May 30, 2018, 12:19:29 PM »
A bit more invention perhaps - Villa Park becoming the "Recon Arena" or "Recon Villa Park" for £30m a season for 5 years? Has Dr Tony got the financial clout??

In my opinion we have been preparing for this as soon as we couldn't secure a top 2 place. With the announcement of the training ground sponsorship etc.
If we can add £30m to the coffers to rename the ground then we should do it. Everyone will still call it Villa park anyway.

Which is precisely why renaming Villa Park will have sod all effect on FFP.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #188 on: May 30, 2018, 12:33:32 PM »

I really don't know how true this is despite the number of times you (and others) have repeated it. It gets ruled by an independent panel who have to say whether the value given is reasonable but who really knows what is reasonable in this regard? "but people will still call it Villa Park" is only an argument if you're trying to generate external income, if recon are the sponsor then the 'return on investment' is largely irrelevant.  If Xia argues that his vision for the club and the area is to use the Recon brand to implement smart citytech then he can cite a legitimate 'exposure' value to getting the branding around the stadium and use that to justify the costs.  I really wouldn't be surprised if a figure around £5-6m a year was agreed as acceptable, especially given we have the sheer number of TV games we were selected for also working in our favour.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #189 on: May 30, 2018, 12:45:08 PM »

I really don't know how true this is despite the number of times you (and others) have repeated it. It gets ruled by an independent panel who have to say whether the value given is reasonable but who really knows what is reasonable in this regard? "but people will still call it Villa Park" is only an argument if you're trying to generate external income, if recon are the sponsor then the 'return on investment' is largely irrelevant.  If Xia argues that his vision for the club and the area is to use the Recon brand to implement smart citytech then he can cite a legitimate 'exposure' value to getting the branding around the stadium and use that to justify the costs.  I really wouldn't be surprised if a figure around £5-6m a year was agreed as acceptable, especially given we have the sheer number of TV games we were selected for also working in our favour.

Naming rights aren't worth much though if no-one uses the name.

It's not a coincidence that the only stadia to sell naming rights in the UK are those which were purpose built - Emirates, Etihad, Bet365, Macron, etc, whilst at the same time, the two most famous stadia in the country, Old Trafford and Anfield, haven't sold naming rights.  It's simply the case that where a stadium is established no-one's going to pay much to rename it because everyone will keep using the old name.

The other obvious example was when Newcastle tried to rename St James Park, and after realising no-one would pay for it, they gave up.

Online paul_e

« Reply #190 on: May 30, 2018, 12:52:54 PM »

It's not a coincidence that the only stadia to sell naming rights in the UK are those which were purpose built - Emirates, Etihad, Bet365, Macron, etc, whilst at the same time, the two most famous stadia in the country, Old Trafford and Anfield, haven't sold naming rights.  It's simply the case that where a stadium is established no-one's going to pay much to rename it because everyone will keep using the old name.

The other obvious example was when Newcastle tried to rename St James Park, and after realising no-one would pay for it, they gave up.

This bit show that you didn't really read what I wrote so I'll repeat it, we're not looking to sell naming rights to anyone, we're looking at sponsoring ourselves through another company Xia owns so we don't need to show how they would get a return on investment, all we need to do is prove to a panel that the deal we're looking to put in place is fair.  There are plenty of little ways to do that and all together I think you're looking at a decent sum, not enough to completely ignore FFP but this could well be the difference between selling Chester or not, for example.

Online paul_e

« Reply #191 on: May 30, 2018, 12:57:48 PM »
Oh, as an aside, an independent valuation a few months back suggested the naming rights for Old Trafford and Anfield were worth £25m and £11m respectively, which suggests that your assertion that no one is going to pay much for them is probably wrong.  Those 2 haven't gone down that route because they haven't needed the money and didn't think it would play well with the fans, not because there wasn't any value.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #192 on: May 30, 2018, 01:04:49 PM »

This bit show that you didn't really read what I wrote so I'll repeat it, we're not looking to sell naming rights to anyone, we're looking at sponsoring ourselves through another company Xia owns so we don't need to show how they would get a return on investment, all we need to do is prove to a panel that the deal we're looking to put in place is fair.  There are plenty of little ways to do that and all together I think you're looking at a decent sum, not enough to completely ignore FFP but this could well be the difference between selling Chester or not, for example.

Yet another example of why I really should stick to my rule of not reading or responding to your posts.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #193 on: May 30, 2018, 01:05:02 PM »

Which they did, and then sold the naming rights to Wonga as part of a commercial package, Wonga chose to change the name back to St James' Park, but still paid to do so.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #194 on: May 30, 2018, 01:08:11 PM »
Wonga Park might've just been a little bit too close to the bone.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal