collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by john e
[Today at 10:00:02 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 09:52:01 AM]

Kits 23/24 by chrisw1
[Today at 09:44:42 AM]

FFP by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 09:39:25 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by aj2k77
[Today at 09:29:53 AM]

Games Moved for TV by olaftab
[Today at 09:19:58 AM]

International Rugby by nigel
[Today at 07:38:44 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial fair play  (Read 219823 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Financial fair play
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2018, 12:11:28 PM »
I’m co confused

have we got no money to spend because we’ve got no money
or we have money but we can’t spend it because of FFP
The latter.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2018, 12:13:45 PM »
Do we have a confirmed list of players now out of contract and expected to be released?

McCormack and Richards not getting bumps in their salary following a promotion is, as has been said, one of the few "good" things about not going up as they'll finally be gone next summer ( unless McCormack was signed on a four year deal?).

Apart from the loans players the seniors contracts expiring in June

JT
Hutton
Agbonlahor
Samba
Bunn
(Hutton, JT and Gabby leaving would reduce wages)

These 3 below would be on chunky wages and 2019 expiry
Jedinak
Whelan
Richards
(Green, steer, Lyden younger players less wage)

Next are those expiring  in 2020 so max price would be this summer for sales and club. players and agents will be looking at situation of contract as will the club.

29 year old Chester
Mccormack  who is 31 will be 33 at expiry.
30 year old Elmo
29 year old Kodija
30 year old Bjarnason
30 year old adomah

Houirhane
Grealish
Tshibola minimal wage.

Here I think Mccormack and Bjarnason may well be 2 moved on. And possibly Kodjia.

Hogan
Taylor
Lansbury
Bree

I think players leaving along with JT and Hutton will be Kodjia or Hogan. Bjarnason hopefully Mccormack and Richards too.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:17:24 PM by footyskillz »

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2018, 12:18:02 PM »
Tshbola, Gil, Gollini, McCormack, Hogan, Lansbury, Gardner, De Laet, Richards, Elphick. There's got to be a few quid in that lot, even if we are subsiding wages elsewhere as they have contributed almost nothing to the team this season. We have to move them on. If we keep Kodjia, Jedinak, Chester, Grealish then it's a great start for next season.

De Laet is a better right back than Elmo or Bree and should feature next season.

Hogan and McCormack could do well with a new manager, I wouldn't write them off just yet (though would take the cash if offered). If Grealish is sold then McCormack is the most obvious player for a front man to play off, other than maybe Gil.

Golini may be used, as if we can't sell him he is better than Steer.

Elphick might be OK with a new manager, he was certainly excellent for Bournemouth at this level.

Lansbury looked good at Forrest and is worth a try under a new manager too.

Tsibola, Richards, Gardner I can't see any use for. Also I am not convinced Jedinak and Whelan have the legs for another season.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2018, 12:23:15 PM »
The move for Elmo now looking unnecessary. When faith in Bree and Hutton to do the job. As well as da laet. However Bruce wanted some of his own and along with snoddy did well enough but would like to see him go. Elmo more of a wing back and not suited to system.

Think some players on those contracts will stick around another season.

Jedinak and Whelan can let contracts run and would probably be kept but would like them one to go but lack of funds prob have to keep them.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:25:06 PM by footyskillz »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2018, 12:33:06 PM »
Tshibola, Elphick, McCormack, De Laet and Gollini all returning bloats the squad again.

I would keep Elphick as 3rd choice centre half unless a permanent move is on the card for him.

De Laet is lightening quick and I wouldn't mind him and Brew being our right back options.

Tshibola looked like he could have been a player, but his attitude is not there.

McCormack is for the glue factory and Gollini wants an Italian goal keeping coach.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2018, 12:34:34 PM »
I’m co confused

The latter.

that’s alright then

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2018, 12:55:48 PM »
Looking at the players most people would be ok with selling this is what i think we'd get in sales. You're welcome to argue otherwise. Note: what we paid for them is off the net and probably quesstimates in some cases

gollini 4.25m - hasn't made an impact on loan, 2 years on his contact. providing an italian team can afford his wages £1.5-2m
Richards - crocked, on massive wages. Unsellable. Only question is whether it would make sense to pay him off yet.
Tshbola -  £5m stll young, done absolutely nothing. only played 8 games for us though. 2 years left £1.5m-2m but can anyone pay his wages
Whelan 1m - not worth anything of note at his age. may be persuaded to leave if someone offers him a 2 year contact.
Lansbury 2.75m - 3 years left on good wages. you'd need a decent club to come in for him. 2.5m
Gardner - last year of his contact. unlikely to get anything for him above a nominal fee
Bjarnason 2-3m - not really made an impact. probably get back what we paid for him 2-3m
Taylor  - swap -   Again wages could be a problem for suiters as well as the length of his contract  - possibly 3-4m
Elphick 3m  -  last year of his contact. 1m to get him off the books
Hogan 8m -  i good season in the championship versus 2 crap ones for us. 3 years left. Unlikely to be on peanuts 4m
McCormack  12m - is he worth anything after bruce publicly rubbished him? I can't see anyone taking a chance on him but 4m
Gill 3.25m -  Again last year of his contact 1m
De Laet  2.5m - nominal fee if that

So i make that in an ideal world 23m  clawed back. I don't think for a second we'll get that but even half of that would be something. Add in a conservative figure of 25k per week per player on wages next season and i make that an extra 15m saved on wages so concievably 38m saved. Obviously replacements would eat into that wage saving.

--

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2018, 12:57:09 PM »
I’m co confused

The latter.
So let's watch them at Recon Park wearing our Recon shirts.

that’s alright then

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2018, 01:01:22 PM »
Given that Fulham apparently spent a net £3M (last season?) to go up, it further convinces me that having the right manager & club structure is more important than continuing to spunk money. It may take a few seasons to bring about such a revolution at VP, but shirley it's worth instigating - now we've hit financial Palookaville? Bruce continually bangs/banged on about experience being vital, but players only become experienced by being given a chance to play first team football when they're younger. His reluctance to utilise some of our young talent has aided & abetted the huge Summer clear-out which we're about to witness, so I sincerely hope The Suits have realised a radically different approach is now necessary to push this club forward. Bring it on, I say.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 01:22:36 PM by auntiesledd »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2018, 01:07:02 PM »
Looking at the players most people would be ok with selling this is what i think we'd get in sales. You're welcome to argue otherwise. Note: what we paid for them is off the net and probably quesstimates in some cases

gollini 4.25m - hasn't made an impact on loan, 2 years on his contact. providing an italian team can afford his wages £1.5-2m
Richards - crocked, on massive wages. Unsellable. Only question is whether it would make sense to pay him off yet.
Tshbola -  £5m stll young, done absolutely nothing. only played 8 games for us though. 2 years left £1.5m-2m but can anyone pay his wages
Whelan 1m - not worth anything of note at his age. may be persuaded to leave if someone offers him a 2 year contact.
Lansbury 2.75m - 3 years left on good wages. you'd need a decent club to come in for him. 2.5m
Gardner - last year of his contact. unlikely to get anything for him above a nominal fee
Bjarnason 2-3m - not really made an impact. probably get back what we paid for him 2-3m
Taylor  - swap -   Again wages could be a problem for suiters as well as the length of his contract  - possibly 3-4m
Elphick 3m  -  last year of his contact. 1m to get him off the books
Hogan 8m -  i good season in the championship versus 2 crap ones for us. 3 years left. Unlikely to be on peanuts 4m
McCormack  12m - is he worth anything after bruce publicly rubbished him? I can't see anyone taking a chance on him but 4m
Gill 3.25m -  Again last year of his contact 1m
De Laet  2.5m - nominal fee if that

So i make that in an ideal world 23m  clawed back. I don't think for a second we'll get that but even half of that would be something. Add in a conservative figure of 25k per week per player on wages next season and i make that an extra 15m saved on wages so concievably 38m saved. Obviously replacements would eat into that wage saving.

--

In all likelihood, we would be looking at loaning out the majority of the above.  Either that or we are going to have to reintegrate them into the squad and use them.  I would personally look to offer Terry and Hutton one year deals, but the finances to do that might not be there.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2018, 01:19:19 PM »
yep, the likes of Hogan and McCormack would show up horrendous losses on FFP if they were sold. Others like whelan may be just worth keeping as cover as to replace them is going to cost more. Lansbury and Bjarnason would probably be the best bets to sell. Maybe give Tshibola another try. The others just loan if we can

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2018, 01:38:17 PM »
Wyness said they're plans for either eventuality.

I hope that Wyness was right at the AGM that there is no need to sell Chester and Grealish. Them with a fit Kodjia and having Green, O'Hare and RHM offering the elusive pace we've lacked all year wouldn't be the worst.

A manager who can have us moving the ball with a bit of tempo wouldn't be the too shabby.

That's where I am. We have a good crop of kids coming through that most Championship clubs would die to have. Then, we're just not going to sell everyone. Yes players will leave, and yes, we're not going to shell out money like we've become accustomed to, and especially at this level. And that's a good thing in many ways. What we need is a manager who is going to make the very best of our resources, which at the end of the day should still put us in a very strong position headed into the new season. The relegated clubs will lose players and while they will have much larger budgets we've all seen how that can be wasted and provides no guarantee of success. So let's see what the next few weeks brings. I'm not at all with what has happened, and lay the blame squarely at the door of the manager. That's the very first change that needs to happen.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2018, 01:56:05 PM »
My view on the players coming and going is:
Gollini - get rid.
Richards - if he's unfit, we've got to get rid, either via the insurance or on a paid-up basis.
Tshibola -  let a new manager have a go with him; still has some potential.
Whelan - back to Stoke? Try and offload.
Lansbury - get rid; doesn't matter for how much.
Gardner - let him play his contract out; or sell for nominal amount
Bjarnason - I'd keep him and play him, if he wants to do so.
Taylor  - gotta get rid, to someone!
Elphick - let him play out the last year of his contact.
Hogan - ??? Depends on who the manager is, but take an offer to get rid if it comes.
McCormack - unlikely to be able to offload; can a new manager rehabilitate him?
Gill - just offload somewhere (if his wages are not a total blocker)
De Laet - keep him and play him!

God, there are some deadbeats on long contracts in this lot!

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2018, 02:16:56 PM »
Given that Fulham apparently spent a net £3M (last season?) to go up, it further convinces me that having the right manager & club structure is more important than continuing to spunk money.

Our net spend last season was something like 20m in profit

Offline shipscat

• I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2018, 02:20:18 PM »
I can see us,whilst not actively marketing,looking to shift a few of the profitable in FFP terms players.

We signed Lansbury and Hourihane on the relatively cheap,albeit with decent wages.Suspect we'd get circa 3million for Lansbury and 5/6 for Hourihane.

Additionally,in the way of Baker last season,where we made a substancial profit in FFP terms,I wouldn't be surprised if Andre Green ends up at a certain London club,billed as one for the future for 5/6 Million.

FFP will hinder getting rid of some of the squad as we'll be essentially receiving nothing or a loss for the likes of McCormack,Hogan,Tschibola .However,in that context I don't see us being unable to shift Gollini,Gardner,Elphick and Gil and co on,possibly even with a small operating profit.

As allegedly 38 Million is the break figure for March 2019,that'll leave us adrift by circa 20-22 Million.....When do we get that chunk off the HS2 Liability Fund and how much is the realistic re-naming rights to BMH?

Additionally we have the Amavi money to come in at around 7/8 million. If they move on,and both are heavily linked, sell on clauses for Traore and Vertout ..4/5 million?

Add all the wages we are getting rid of.... and the fact Wolves have basically showed the way to circumnavigate FFP will we be ok?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 02:25:32 PM by shipscat »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal