collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Middlesbrough Post-Match Thread  (Read 36853 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Aston Villa vs Middlesbrough Post-Match Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2018, 11:41:43 PM »
Bruce's 'safety first' approach always feels like an unnecessarily big risk.

Never mind. Well done to all concerned.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2018, 11:43:39 PM »
If you were a neutral watching that you'd probably say it was never really at risk.

It was unbelievably fucking tense though. There was a point with ten minutes or so to go where the whole ground erupted in deafening noise in support which was spine tingling.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2018, 11:45:14 PM »
Over the two legs I thought he had it spot on, we looked the most likely to score without ever being open enough to give Boro chances bar them doing something amazing.

Top marks from me and I’m not a natural fan of his

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2018, 11:45:17 PM »
If you were a neutral watching that you'd probably say it was never really at risk.

It was unbelievably fucking tense though. There was a point with ten minutes or so to go where the whole ground erupted in deafening noise in support which was spine tingling.

TV commentators with no bias towards us at all have often said the same thing. That when Villa Park gets loud, it's very, very loud.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2018, 11:46:50 PM »
Summed Pulis up, must win game with over £100m at stake, and they manage 0 attempts on target. He really is an abomination of a manager.

And very animated for no apparent reason. Villa fans gave him an easy ride as well

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2018, 11:48:52 PM »
Over the two legs I thought he had it spot on, we looked the most likely to score without ever being open enough to give Boro chances bar them doing something amazing.

Top marks from me and I’m not a natural fan of his

Boro are very limited though. I'd say that sort of opposition isn't that difficult to set up for tactics wise as you know what they're going to do.

Now Fulham is completely different prospect. Hopefully SB can do a number on them like Sherwood did with Liverpool a few years back.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2018, 11:49:10 PM »
Boro were shite across both legs and we fully deserved to go through. Typical Pulis team, no creativity and barely a shot.

First half was poor and the crowd were very nervy. Second half I thought we managed the game better and the crowd really got behind the team. At times VP was the loudest it's been for years.

Pitch invasion was stupid imo. We mocked Fulham for doing it and we'd have mocked Small Heath for doing it and said it was smalltime. Instagram and the like has a lot to answer for, some only run on so they can put a picture on Instagram and show off to their little pals. It ruined the celebrations as the players had to rush off and couldn't milk it with the Holte and the rest of the ground. "Where were you when we were shit?" to those on the pitch raised a chuckle.

We're on our way.

Atmosphere in the Holte was superb. Agree re pitch invasion although our players wouldn’t have milked it. The job is only half done after all

Offline Villatillidie1982

« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2018, 11:49:44 PM »
Highlights
Having seen the highlights, was Johnstone's arm definitely outside the area anyway? Even when the free kick hit the bar, he may have had it covered. Or am I just biased.

I wasn't sure how Steve Bruce would handle a 1-0 lead going into the home leg but can't complain, except for the persistence with only one striker which creates defensive problems of its own as one striker is no outlet when the pressure is on.

McCafu needs to be signed up for another year. A revelation on the left.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2018, 11:50:12 PM »
From an atmosphere point of view I think that’s the best of the season, the whole ground was singing without a lot going on on the pitch, the same happened at other games but at times when we were in strong winning positions

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2018, 11:51:12 PM »
Highlights
Having seen the highlights, was Johnstone's arm definitely outside the area anyway? Even when the free kick hit the bar, he may have had it covered. Or am I just biased.

I wasn't sure how Steve Bruce would handle a 1-0 lead going into the home leg but can't complain, except for the persistence with only one striker which creates defensive problems of its own as one striker is no outlet when the pressure is on.

He should have been sent off

Offline TonyD

« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2018, 11:53:48 PM »
Even if it was a red for SJ.  The free kick would have hit the bar and we would have held out with 10 men.  Jed was great but at the same time it means we effectively play 5 at the back and this limits Jack.   That said I would start the final with same 11 tonight.  I would bring on Kodja in the second half. 

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2018, 11:59:49 PM »
Highlights

He should have been sent off

He should have been sent off. But we had two certain penalties ignored before that. I don't think they have too much to complain about. Especially as the referee has actually celebrated goal against us before. He's hardly One Of Us.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2018, 12:03:33 AM »
He wasn’t sent off. We went through. Fuck them.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2018, 12:06:59 AM »
Job done
Couldn't go to the match, Stuck in bloody Malaga, doh
So tense
Well done to me Babbies and all the fans that managed to attend
And a special well done to Steve Bruce,who has been through very hard times of late
UTV and I'll see you at Wembley on the 26th

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2018, 12:16:01 AM »
Went out after the game and only just got back in.  Solid at the back again tonight and I thought the experience of Hutton, Chester, Terry and Jedinak was crucial again tonight.  Thought Bree had a nervous start, but got over that and did OK.  We switched off once and it nearly cost us with the free-kick, but they really struggled to break us down.

Bit better going forward in the second half and Randolph made two very good saves (from Grabban and Grealish) to go with his one from the first leg.  Thought the pitch invasion was a bit OTT, but the chants of "where were you when we were sh&t" were a bit unnecessary to be honest.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal