collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New technical kit partnership announced - LUKE 1977 & Fanatics  (Read 211096 times)

Offline Withe Gusto

Re: New technical kit partnership announced - LUKE 1977 & Fanatics
« Reply #540 on: July 09, 2018, 11:38:06 AM »
Sponsor logo is too big.
What colour are the home socks, anyone know?

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #541 on: July 09, 2018, 11:41:30 AM »
Sponsor logo is too big.

Sweet Damson.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #542 on: July 09, 2018, 11:41:49 AM »
Grand getting back to our truly claret shirts the pinks been banished

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #543 on: July 09, 2018, 11:53:36 AM »
Both kits look very smart. Not having claret sleeves for one season is nothing to get upset about. We never did in the 57 final, 94 or 2000 to name a few and they were all proper Villa shirts.

The 57 shirts were change strips. We had them as an away kit the next season, not a home kit. The 94 and 2000 shirts were abominations.

Hence why I said final. It’s all down to personal preference. I grew up with that 90s team so have fond memories of those strips. Those who are a bit older remember the early 80s and want to play in replicas of those shirts until the end of time.

I first attended a game in 1988, so the nineties provide my happiest memories, too.

I'd still rather we had stuck to our traditional design, as I consider it part of our identity. Arsenal won't be ditching their white sleeves. Celtic won't be playing in all green. AC Milan won't be trotting out in red and black hoops.

People may well think it's a nice shirt. Maybe it is. It isn't a Villa shirt, though.

Spot on again CD.  Without wishing to sound like a tory, claret body with blue sleeves is a part of our tradition and heritage.  There may have been a few diversions from this since the 80s but no doubt these were commercially driven to try and differentiate from previous versions and boost sales that way for the easily swayed.  And for me, none of them were Villa shirts, not one of them.   It's not just about tradition either, it's like a trademark, or brand image these days, it's recognisable as Villa colours when it's claret with blue sleeves.  Clubs who value their tradition, reputation, heritage and image, like the ones you mention,  don't tend to fuck about with their strip too much.  See also the England strip prior to this one, a total abomination.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #544 on: July 09, 2018, 11:56:08 AM »
Sponsor logo is too big.

There is a picture on the OS of the kits being modelled (on a rooftop in town) and the home socks are blue with a claret trim.

As for the home shirt, it's just an updated version of the 1983/4 one isn't it?

]https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Aston+Villa+1983/84+kit&rlz=1C1GGRV_enGB777GB777&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=WMAI7hSbf-w6WM%253A%252C3_RgSaaoEfQJ4M%252C_&usg=__O2HhQsmqNnz6U4PiGjaCkQJ7T6k%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8kJmD8pHcAhWLXhQKHQBMATcQ9QEIRjAC#imgrc=WMAI7hSbf-w6WM:]
Sponsor logo is too big.

There is a picture on the OS of the kits being modelled (on a rooftop in town) and the home socks are blue with a claret trim.

As for the home shirt, it's just an updated version of the 1983/4 one isn't it?  Would have preferred a version of the away kit from that year to be honest!

Maybe it was the kit we wore when Luke Roper went to his first game or something. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 12:18:48 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #545 on: July 09, 2018, 11:59:02 AM »
Both kits look very smart. Not having claret sleeves for one season is nothing to get upset about. We never did in the 57 final, 94 or 2000 to name a few and they were all proper Villa shirts.

The 57 shirts were change strips. We had them as an away kit the next season, not a home kit. The 94 and 2000 shirts were abominations.

Hence why I said final. It’s all down to personal preference. I grew up with that 90s team so have fond memories of those strips. Those who are a bit older remember the early 80s and want to play in replicas of those shirts until the end of time.

I first attended a game in 1988, so the nineties provide my happiest memories, too.

I'd still rather we had stuck to our traditional design, as I consider it part of our identity. Arsenal won't be ditching their white sleeves. Celtic won't be playing in all green. AC Milan won't be trotting out in red and black hoops.

People may well think it's a nice shirt. Maybe it is. It isn't a Villa shirt, though.
We have changed our shirt design more than most though - I just had a look through and its surprising how many times we have moved away from the standard template. I think the colours of claret and blue are more synonymous than the design.
I don't think it hurts for a season or two, I imagine a lot of the positivity is due to it being something different.

Not picking bones but haven't Arsenal dropped their white sleeves a couple of times? seem to remember Henry playing in an all claret kit for one season!

There was a particular reason for that - they were celebrating a centenary or something and in honour of that they reverted to the strip they were wearing back in the day.  Apart from that there have been maybe one or two instances where the white on the sleeves has been reduced or minimal but generally they have stuck with the same format since the 60s at least. 

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #546 on: July 09, 2018, 12:00:19 PM »
Absolutely right and in an age where, even from the depths of the Championship, English football clubs are courting a worldwide audience to then make the decision to go away from our traditional kit is a very strange decision and yet another sign that Dr T has a tin ear when if comes to understanding this club. 

Our heritage and tradition is one of the few things we can still be proud of so now is not the time to be messing round with them. 

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #547 on: July 09, 2018, 12:02:32 PM »
Sponsor logo is too big.

As for the home shirt, it's just an updated version of the 1983/4 one isn't it?

Maybe it was the kit we wore when Luke Roper went to his first game or something. 

There are two sets of socks for home kit, blue is standard and white is alternate. They're both here FYI: http://shop.avfc.co.uk/stores/astonvilla/en/c/football-kits/home-kit

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #548 on: July 09, 2018, 12:04:13 PM »
The club is becoming less and less recognizable.
At a time when our identity is even more important, they come up with this shit.
Idiots.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #549 on: July 09, 2018, 12:07:54 PM »
I get the feeling that the kit is aimed at the Twitter generation,, which means us old arses have got something else to moan about.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #550 on: July 09, 2018, 12:10:43 PM »
Love them both. Updated retro feel. Proper claret. 83/84 shirt always a favourite. Big yes from me

Offline Joe S

• GM : 09.05.2024
« Reply #551 on: July 09, 2018, 12:13:00 PM »

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #552 on: July 09, 2018, 12:17:16 PM »

In what way?

Still called Aston Villa, yes
Still play at Villa Park, yes
Still play in claret and blue, yes
Still underachieving, yes

There's literally nothing changed with the club at all. Other than we're in the Championship for the third successive season.

Why do people feel the need to be overly dramatic all the time?

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #554 on: July 09, 2018, 12:29:16 PM »

In what way?

Still called Aston Villa, yes
Still play at Villa Park, yes
Still play in claret and blue, yes
Still underachieving, yes

There's literally nothing changed with the club at all. Other than we're in the Championship for the third successive season.

Why do people feel the need to be overly dramatic all the time?

This is H&V.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal