collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sheffield Wednesday v Aston Villa: Pre-Match Thread  (Read 18798 times)

Online tomd2103

Re: Sheffield Wednesday v Aston Villa: Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2018, 11:26:47 AM »
Don’t think he’ll go 442 and don’t think he should. We never look right

Jedinak needs a rest

Hogan should not play unless jack is

Johnstone

Elmo (Tuanzebe) Chester Terry Hutton

Bjarnason Whelan

Snodgrass (O’Hare) lansbury Grabban

Davis

Subs: bunn Tuanzebe taylor Jedinak hourihane O’Hare hogan

If we are going to play two in central midfield then I would consider putting Tuanzebe in there, as we desperately need some energy and mobility in that area.  Whichever formation we play, it is going to look disjointed again. 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2018, 11:35:02 AM »
Whatever he decides, we cannot go into a game with a hardworking poacher having an ill Snoddy and an out of sorts Hourihane as his only means of supply, with three defensive midfielders.

Elmo, a well again Snoddy, a Lansbury or an O'Hare and Grabban exponentially increases our attacking dynamism compared to that first half side the other night.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2018, 12:20:10 PM »
The most bizarre thing about the starting XI on Tuesday was that it was by-and-large the same XI that made no impression on the second half at Fulham. It was a perfect - and necessary - opportunity to freshen the side-up and actually use the advantage of our big squad, and he chose not to. Well, until we were behind, anyway.

I'd go with the 4-4-2 for Saturday, and I'd also bring Neil Taylor back. For all of Hutton's hard work and intent the side is so unbalanced with him at left-back. With Albert and Grealish playing he's not required to get forward as much, but without them it's a problem. How many times did he get into great crossing positions on Tuesday night? Granted he put in one decent cross in the first half, and one decent shot in the second, but I couldn't help but wonder what a left-footed player would have been able to produce from there.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2018, 12:30:18 PM »
Neil Taylor is crap though.

Offline Ads

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2018, 12:44:42 PM »
Grabban looked unorthodox. He actually looked a bit like Collymore with a shit beard, but I'd like him to feature.

I just get a sense that he will trust Hourihane again and go with Jedinak too, but put Snoddy and Grabban wide with Davis up top. As long as the intention is to feed that ball wide as quick as we can, make that pitch wide and get plenty of crosses in [Elmo at right back with Snoddy doubling up] then we have enough to win.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2018, 12:47:29 PM »
I'd like to see Lansbury back here too but why the hell couldn't he get on last night? Doesn't make sense looking at the half time subs that he wasn't given a go, even more so when you consider he takes set pieces as well. He must be struggling in training if the management would rather put square pegs in round holes than stick him in.

I don't get the square pegs in round holes comment. Where would you have played him?

There aren’t ready made replacements for Albert and Jack, but sticking Onomah wide is the squarest of pegs in the roundest of holes. A player out of form who isn’t made for that position. Utter madness.

I get that but I can't see why he thinks playing Lansbury is going to solve the square pegs in round hole problem.

Offline Ads

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2018, 12:52:07 PM »
If he played Lansbury and Hourihane centrally then we'd have been better off having Elmo and Grabban wide than Onomah. We were crying out for crosses.

Offline maigrait

• GM : 12.07.2019
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2018, 01:31:09 PM »
Can't see past 1-1...

Offline Lobsterboy

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2018, 02:11:48 PM »
A scruffy but welcome 1-0 win; Grabban to start and bag the winner

Offline erniemagoo

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2018, 02:53:31 PM »
2-0 to Sheffield Wednesday same team will be put out, dire passing, not many created chances.  0-0 at half time and then it will go belly up in the second half with mistakes a plenty!

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2018, 03:01:40 PM »
I think this shows what a thankless task picking a team is.

Almost everyone has picked a different side and 20 odd players have been mentioned

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2018, 03:12:44 PM »
2-0 to Sheffield Wednesday same team will be put out, dire passing, not many created chances.  0-0 at half time and then it will go belly up in the second half with mistakes a plenty!

That sounds like a description of 95% of our away matches last season.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2018, 03:16:43 PM »
we need a win Villa, so anything to nil will do.

UTV
The Doc

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2018, 03:21:48 PM »
I'd like to see Lansbury back here too but why the hell couldn't he get on last night? Doesn't make sense looking at the half time subs that he wasn't given a go, even more so when you consider he takes set pieces as well. He must be struggling in training if the management would rather put square pegs in round holes than stick him in.

I don't get the square pegs in round holes comment. Where would you have played him?

There aren’t ready made replacements for Albert and Jack, but sticking Onomah wide is the squarest of pegs in the roundest of holes. A player out of form who isn’t made for that position. Utter madness.

I get that but I can't see why he thinks playing Lansbury is going to solve the square pegs in round hole problem.

My thinking is that Lansbury comes on for either Hourihane or Jedinak and we have Bjarnason or Grabban playing wide left. Got to make more sense than having Onomah there.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2018, 03:37:40 PM »

My thinking is that Lansbury comes on for either Hourihane or Jedinak and we have Bjarnason or Grabban playing wide left. Got to make more sense than having Onomah there.

Bjarnason is as bad as Onomah out there. If Snodgrass is fit and on the right side then I guess it will be Grabban wide left.       

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal