collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[April 28, 2024, 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[April 28, 2024, 10:54:37 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sheff Utd 0-1 Magnificent Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 22598 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: Sheff Utd 0-1 Magnificent Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: January 31, 2018, 02:07:39 PM »
As someone said earlier, you put up with years of shit for moments like that, one of your own players curling one into the corner in the last minute to win a game. It was mental in that away end for the next minute so glad I made the effort to go. There’s a video on Twitter of the away end after the goal, I keep looking at it every 5 minutes. Joy just sheer unbridled joy.

What do I search on twitter to find that?

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #211 on: January 31, 2018, 02:08:53 PM »
Ah the sweet taste of victory in the last minute, hello old friend, I see you so rarely these days.

I had to wait close to 20 long years for my sons to become adults before they can share in my adulation of watching an away game in the pub with a glass of beer and a last minute winner to share the explosion of joy erupting round. One of the happiest moments in my life.

I danced back to the car.

And to the match:

Thought the blades look like they were well up for it in the first half and we spend most of the time repelling them. Johnson Man of the match by far. 2nd half we came into it a lot more and the fouls they were getting away with especially one on Snodgrass. I wished at that time that Taylor and Lansbury were on for their "aggression".

The subs at the end looked like SB was holding for the point which wasn't bad considering how we played and the opposition. Cue Mr Snodgrass!

I was really looking forward to this match for ages and now cant wait for Burton then Blues.

I keep rolling the goal over and over on my phone. Can somebody create a gif of a it?

The away end scenes were absolutely terrific, wish I was there.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #212 on: January 31, 2018, 02:11:34 PM »
Maybe our play was disrupted due to the really narrow pitch - very noticeable when behind the goal. Several times in first half passes out to Albert went astray and Albert himself ran the ball out over the line.
I thought Sheffield really played well and pushed us in almost every quarter - if they had had better quality in front of goal maybe they could have punished us.
Chester and Terry are rocks
Keeper - made some very important saves but his hesitancy on crosses really causes concern and his distribution (apart from one sublime quarterbackesque throw out to jack in first half) was awful. Why he sends a huge punt down the centre is beyond me.

Bjorn in DM role could be an inspirational as signing Terry

Roll on saturday

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #213 on: January 31, 2018, 02:17:00 PM »
But Steve Bruce's number two, Colin Calderwood, revealed the goal saved Villa players from something of an inquest.

He said: 'It's a funny thing that you can be so happy when you would have been drilling down one or two players and looking for an improvement.'

Calderwood admitted it was demanded at half-time as Villa reappeared early for the second half and curbed United's dominance. 'We dug it out,' said Calderwood while acknowledging the sheer quality displayed by Snodgrass, on loan from West Ham.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5332167/Sheffield-United-0-1-Aston-Villa-Snodgrass-seals-win.html#ixzz55ltrDFQv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #214 on: January 31, 2018, 02:24:16 PM »
Maybe our play was disrupted due to the really narrow pitch - very noticeable when behind the goal. Several times in first half passes out to Albert went astray and Albert himself ran the ball out over the line.
I thought Sheffield really played well and pushed us in almost every quarter - if they had had better quality in front of goal maybe they could have punished us.
Chester and Terry are rocks
Keeper - made some very important saves but his hesitancy on crosses really causes concern and his distribution (apart from one sublime quarterbackesque throw out to jack in first half) was awful. Why he sends a huge punt down the centre is beyond me.

Bjorn in DM role could be an inspirational as signing Terry

Roll on saturday

Didn't look as if too many were making themselves available for a short pass from Johnstone in fairness, the likes of Terry were forced to go long too often aswell. Route one to Hogan almost guarantees handing possession back to the opposition. Hourihane in particular should have been demanding the ball more and playing deeper  next to BB instead of leaving him isolated.

Tactically I thought Sheff Utd were very clever last night, just lacked the quality to make it count.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #215 on: January 31, 2018, 02:50:03 PM »
Although Johnston made a lot of saves, they were mainly in the category of saves he should have made.
Possibly the deflected shot which hit his arm was his best save of the night.

Sheffield United were the better team, but we came closest to scoring with jacks curler and obviously the goal.

I thought their defenders were starting to lag a bit before the goal and I had hopes we might sneak one.But Bruce went for a more defensive approach towards the end of the game, for which I wasn't too disappointed with as draw would still have been a decent result.

Grealish was our best forward player, I love the way he could play an easy pass wide to Albert, but he decides to stand the defender up and make him feel uncomfortable with what he might actually do.

Chester and Terry were immense. Chester doesn't always get the limelight, but he is actually a favorite of mine, Mr Dependable.

I think that victory has made people believe, it certainly has me.

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #216 on: January 31, 2018, 03:02:16 PM »
That is what I go to the Villa for. To be behind the goal and see the net bulge on 90 minutes. To share the unbridled joy of screaming, leaping, hugging fans of all ages, male and female. Nothing else in the world matters, the universe just consists of Villa fans. To share with the team their passion and – having our Villa back. Whatever happens now, this is the best that it has been for a long time.  :)

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2018, 03:18:12 PM »
That is what I go to the Villa for. To be behind the goal and see the net bulge on 90 minutes. To share the unbridled joy of screaming, leaping, hugging fans of all ages, male and female. Nothing else in the world matters, the universe just consists of Villa fans. To share with the team their passion and – having our Villa back. Whatever happens now, this is the best that it has been for a long time.  :)

yep...one of my favs was Gabby scoring at Wet Sham 2011...glorious :)

UTV
The Doc

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2018, 03:24:18 PM »

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2018, 03:52:40 PM »
Anyone else jumping up and down like a kid in their living room when the winner went in? Haven't reacted like that since Young's winner in the cup at Goodison

We don't get Championship matches over here, so are restricted to following text updates. We are an hour ahead of course, so by the time midweek matches finish its as good as 11 o'clock.

Last night, the lad had been following the game up until half-time, but had to stop as it was getting too late for a school night. He secretly whispered to me, 'Dad, let me know if anything happens, I won't go to sleep until its over anyway'. I could hear he was still awake and his mom started going on with 'is he still awake!' After about 88 minutes, I said, 'I'll go and check whether he's asleep'. He was still wide awake. '0-0, mate. Just a few minutes left. A good point. You might as well go to sleep'. 'Alright, Dad'.

I went and got back into bed, watching the minutes tick by, and then received a Whatsapp message 'Boom! Get in!' I refreshed the updates and saw '90' Snodgrass'. Without a word, I got out of bed again, with the wife moaning, 'Where are you going now?' and showed the phone to the lad. He jumped out of bed and for about 10 seconds we hugged and jumped up and down as though we were on the Holte, although all in total silence. He got back into bed with a great big smile on his face, waited until I gave him the all clear for the final whistle, and was asleep within five minutes.

It's great to have a team we can love again!

Reading that has put a smile on my face.

Me too - brilliant stuff ....similar in this Formby household only the son is now 17 years old - the comparison to the Ashley Young goal is a great one - Ashley celebrated on his knees literally a few feet in front of me and VCTM jnr - on the following Monday my wife was handed Ashley's shirt from the game - I have the match ticket, programme and shirt all signed - ...awaiting framing
Wauv! that was a moment of madness, and you have that memorabilia - impressed.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #220 on: January 31, 2018, 03:59:03 PM »
As someone said earlier, you put up with years of shit for moments like that, one of your own players curling one into the corner in the last minute to win a game. It was mental in that away end for the next minute so glad I made the effort to go. There’s a video on Twitter of the away end after the goal, I keep looking at it every 5 minutes. Joy just sheer unbridled joy.

What do I search on twitter to find that?

It's on our FB Page and the Twitter feed in my sig.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #221 on: January 31, 2018, 04:05:38 PM »
Think the last time I saw a last minute winner was when Hitzlsperger hit a screamer into the top corner at Bolton.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #222 on: January 31, 2018, 05:01:07 PM »
Read more hate: http://www.dailyheil.co.uk/sport/football/article-5332167/Sheffield-United-0-1-Aston-Villa-Snodgrass-seals-win.html#ixzz55ltrDFQv
Follow us: @BileOnline on Twitter | DailyHeil Facebook
I've reported this to the mods. ;-)
Sorry due to an extreme masochistic tendency I go to their site to read horrific stuff like “Muslim man parks his car on single yellow line and walks away in front of horrified locals” and accidentally ventured over to sports section. I need help.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #223 on: January 31, 2018, 05:07:39 PM »
Think the last time I saw a last minute winner was when Hitzlsperger hit a screamer into the top corner at Bolton.

The OS yesterday showed a clip of Crouch's winner up at Boro from a few years back. That was also 'limbs' and 'scenes' in the away end as the kids of today say.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #224 on: January 31, 2018, 05:24:17 PM »
Extended highlights..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal