collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sheff Utd 0-1 Magnificent Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 22609 times)

Offline Archivist

Re: Sheff Utd 0-1 Magnificent Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: January 31, 2018, 01:44:02 AM »
Just got back from Sheffield, well currently re-watching the match with a glass of port. I thought it was a solid performance - more deserving of the win than at Middlesboro'  for example, with Jack looking the most creative player on the pitch and Thor the very competent.

Anyway, I spent most of the game pondering the main question of the night - how come both teams played in their home kits at the Lane, while the Blades changed to their second strip at Villa Park? 

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #166 on: January 31, 2018, 02:56:19 AM »
Thought it was a good performance as well as result. You’re not gonna go and play a team as good as Sheff Utd off their own pitch. We were patient, defended well and scored the winner right at the death. Excellent stuff!

Yeah me too. We really do look like a solid outfit now.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #167 on: January 31, 2018, 06:50:46 AM »
... more deserving of the win than at Middlesboro'  ...
Really? At ‘Boro, we dominated the second half and the goal was a natural consequence of the pressure build-up. Not so last night to anything like the same degree.
Not that it matters a jot.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #168 on: January 31, 2018, 06:59:35 AM »
Is it our first smash and grab, last gasp 1-0 win since Gardner's shot was fumbled by Schwarzer(?) and Weimann pounced to give us 3 points against Fulham, which probably kept us up that season. Messed up my colleague's accumulator - Villa draws a banker all too often in our boring years.

Grealish 1-0 vs Wigan last season is in the similar vein

Offline cdward

« Reply #169 on: January 31, 2018, 07:00:11 AM »
Anyway, I spent most of the game pondering the main question of the night - how come both teams played in their home kits at the Lane, while the Blades changed to their second strip at Villa Park? 
We wore blue socks instead of the usual claret home ones, so not quite our home kit.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #170 on: January 31, 2018, 07:03:39 AM »
we've nearly always worn our home kit at Bramall Lane as far as I can remember. The 0-2 McGrath own goal game, 2-0 Parker brace, Fenton winner in 94. I suppose with the amount of black on this years Blades kit our away tops were out of the question last night.

Did anybody else wake up this morning wondering if last nights great result had actually happened? I often have dreams about Villa and wake up happy or annoyed that we've either won or lost an imaginary game.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #171 on: January 31, 2018, 07:17:36 AM »
We wore blue socks instead of the usual claret home ones, so not quite our home kit.

I thought we should have changed, the colours clashed on the tv picture.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #172 on: January 31, 2018, 07:44:18 AM »
First half we were too deep, but they're a good side and came out pretty fast. Two chances bookended the half; the free header and the overhead kick. The later was more speculative and well wide in the end but the first was a rare instance we switched off.

Second we were better and played higher up the pitch. Hourihane was poor for me and the delivery into the front from the full backs was consistently poor. Far too many balls drifting into the middle for a percentage ball rather than the channel where Hogan could pull the man tight centre half out and leave room for others.

Grealish went close but attacking wise we didn't create much and neither did they. A lot has been made of the two or three saves Johnstone made, but they were fairly routine. Bar the header in the opening minutes they didnt have anything other than half chances and neither did we.

But...we had our moment of quality. And it was fucking marvellous!

You find a way to win, even in games where a draw looks likely. We're on a great run and need 11 more wins; time to make that 10 on Saturday.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #173 on: January 31, 2018, 08:08:03 AM »
That's probably our best away win this season. Sheff Utd were trying to find a way back into form and a win for them would have tightened the positions from 2nd to 7th into a few points. It was a very important win as you can now see some daylight opening up for us.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2018, 08:18:16 AM »
7 points
we've nearly always worn our home kit at Bramall Lane as far as I can remember. The 0-2 McGrath own goal game, 2-0 Parker brace, Fenton winner in 94. I suppose with the amount of black on this years Blades kit our away tops were out of the question last night.

Did anybody else wake up this morning wondering if last nights great result had actually happened? I often have dreams about Villa and wake up happy or annoyed that we've either won or lost an imaginary game.

Didn't we wear navy when Dwight ignored being pelted by snowballs to score one of his cool chip pens?

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2018, 08:23:50 AM »
7 points

Didn't we wear navy when Dwight ignored being pelted by snowballs to score one of his cool chip pens?

We certainly did.

It looked more like a proper Villa kit with the Sky blue socks last night.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2018, 08:29:26 AM »
Hard fought game, it is fine margins at the top of the table and it took a great goal to make the difference.

Five successive wins with only one goal conceded is seriously impressive.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2018, 08:58:05 AM »
A great result, maybe the best so far this season. We look great at containing the opposition and general defending, our goalkeeer is superb, but we still aren't consistent with the free flowing attacking football. In a way this was like the Forest away game. Our containment skills and one moment of attacking brilliance was enough to win it on the night, but only really Snodgrass played well of the attacking midfield quartet, I thought Adomahs touch was poor all night, Grealish less arsed and therefore less effective than the last few games and Hourahane anonymous. Again Hogan is going to struggle with that directly behind him. It was the back '6' and ultimately Snodders that won the game, they were all immense.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2018, 09:19:07 AM »

I thought we should have changed, the colours clashed on the tv picture.

Agreed, the claret and their red stripes are just too similar.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2018, 09:32:09 AM »
Anyone else jumping up and down like a kid in their living room when the winner went in? Haven't reacted like that since Young's winner in the cup at Goodison

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal