collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

MOTD by VillaTim
[Today at 11:05:25 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:01:05 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:51:52 PM]

Champions League Contention by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 10:39:43 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by Ian.
[Today at 10:37:56 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:17:13 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How will FFP affect us next year?  (Read 4905 times)

Offline Matt Collins

How will FFP affect us next year?
« on: December 23, 2017, 08:18:49 PM »
This may have been gone over before, but i was looking to see how FFP will affect us next year.

The rules I think state that you can average a 13m loss over three years,  but with special dispensation to lose 35m in a prem season. Which would suggest to me 61m. See http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/financial-fair-play-explained.php

Looks to me that we lost 29m In our relegation season. I assume we don’t get a credit for the difference with the 35m above.

So it’s a case of averaging 13m losses per season. We won’t have the next accounts until Feb? But given the massive spending we did the previous summer and the tight position since then i assume we’ll be well over 13m. But would anyone have any sense of whereabouts

With parachute money ending next war I assume we’d have to sell at least a couple of our more valuable players (Chester, Kodjia, grealish, Adomah, hourihane)?

Happy days

richtheholtender

Re: How will FFP affect us next year?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 09:09:46 PM »
Might as well sell them if we can’t be bothered to compete.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 11:31:53 PM »
It's obvious people like Chester and Kodjia won't be sticking around if we don't go up. We paid them well but ultimately players of that ilk will have interest from the premier league and they'll want to go back to that level.

So that's two international quality players we'd be losing.

Way SB has built up the squad it really is promotion or bust. If we don't go up Terry will retire and we then have players in their mid 30s like Samba, Hutton, Jedinak and Whelan. That's just the back 4/defensive midfield options.

Would be a lot of rebuilding for the next manager to do.

More I look at it with less income from parachutes and more a manager who has to find up coming players it probably would be as best time as any to get a Dean Smith type in who can actually coach on the training pitch and sign up and coming players who can pass the ball around a bit.

Would we be capable of promotion next season. Think it would be a struggle but we haven't made a great fist of challenging these two years spending over 50m have we?

Time would be right for a different approach. It all of course hinges on the course the owner takes. He's been talking a lot of it taking us two years to get back in the premier league so what's plan B if there is one?

Offline Dougs Socks

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 12:44:03 AM »
Why not take the hit now?

Get rid of Bruce, get somebody decent in and provide him with some cash to strengthen in this window, and if it works, we go up, and FFP does not apply.

Its a risk, but its a bigger risk if we fail under Bruce, imo. 

Docs got some hard thinking to do!!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:45:48 AM by Dougs Socks »

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 12:44:08 AM »
It really is a serious concern now.
Without the accounts it’s hard to work out exactly where we will be, but if we are allready up against FFP the situation  next season looks perilous.
The 3 teams comming down have an increasingly massive financial advantage to those allready there.
We will struggle to hold onto the players we want and get rid of players we don’t.
Far too much faith and money has been invested in Bruce and we will struggle to recover from this.

Offline Dougs Socks

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 12:49:28 AM »
It really is a serious concern now.
Without the accounts it’s hard to work out exactly where we will be, but if we are allready up against FFP the situation  next season looks perilous.
The 3 teams comming down have an increasingly massive financial advantage to those allready there.
We will struggle to hold onto the players we want and get rid of players we don’t.
Far too much faith and money has been invested in Bruce and we will struggle to recover from this.

Well if we do fail this term, i think we may have new owners by next xmas. Cant see Xia hanging around.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 10:06:55 AM »
well the wages bit should be eased. on paper we get rid of Gabby, hutton, samba and terry which is probably the best part of 250k a week gone. only terry would be a big loss out of them i think

Offline exigo

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 11:39:04 AM »
Hopefully it will mean we'll be forced to play the kids, who look far more inclined to fight for the shirt than the current first XI.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 11:47:58 AM »
Hopefully it will mean we'll be forced to play the kids, who look far more inclined to fight for the shirt than the current first XI.

What would people be saying though if we were 12th this time next season with half a team of them. It wouldn't be all encouragement on here I'm pretty sure of it.

Circumstances might have to force us to do it though.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 12:06:07 PM »
Only assets value wise we have are Chester, Kodjia and Jack. £25-£30m between them. We will get £8m for Amavi and off the wage bill we will have about £200k a week after Gabby, Hutton, Terry, Bunn are gone.
Issue is we will literally have to start again the rebuild. New manager needing a whole new team on sell to buy. We could be in this league for a good few seasons yet

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 12:09:35 PM »
Only assets value wise we have are Chester, Kodjia and Jack. £25-£30m between them. We will get £8m for Amavi and off the wage bill we will have about £200k a week after Gabby, Hutton, Terry, Bunn are gone.
Issue is we will literally have to start again the rebuild. New manager needing a whole new team on sell to buy. We could be in this league for a good few seasons yet

Yep this year to me is promotion or bust.

Bust being given the make up of the squad it could take us another 2-3 years to get a proper team constructed to really go for promotion. Good luck selling that message to much of our fanbase.

That said if we're going down that route getting a manager like Dean Smith in would make sense as he's shown skills of building good passing sides on limited budgets at the two clubs he's managed.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »
It promotion or bust which is why I would be kicking Bruce out the door now , he simply has shown nothing in his time to suggest he is capable of competing with the top teams in the league

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 01:09:42 PM »

The ‘fight for the shirt’ thing is a smoke screen. We’re not struggling due to a lack of effort, we’re struggling due to a lack of tactical nous. You can put youngsters in and you’d end up in the same position, and probably worse if you did it en masse.

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 02:19:29 PM »
We're going to do an Ipswich and be marooned in this league for 15 seasons!

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 02:24:05 PM »
It doesn't have to be. What we should do is cut our cloth accordingly. With our revenues we should still be amongst the highest grossing clubs in the division. The obvious disadvantage financially will be those clubs that will come down, but as we have demonstrated admirably and Sunderland too, it doesn't matter what resources you have if you blow it all on terrible players and/or bought by a terrible manager.

I would rather us get rid as best as possible of the high earners, recruit well (Burnley, Huddersfield, Bournemouth etc etc etc all seem managed this just fine) and bring through some of our very talented kids to add life and speed to our club.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal