collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by GordonCowansisthegreatest
[Today at 08:59:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Changes & Commonwealth Games  (Read 32134 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Villa Park Changes & Commonwealth Games
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2017, 03:44:58 PM »
It’s great news for the city and starts to give a bit of glimpse into what Xia’s been hinting at and what was suggested by Hollis/Lerner during the sale. He’s clearly also been networking hard to ensure Villa Park and indeed the entire area gets rebuilt and regenerated. What Man City have been able to accomplish is astonishing and I’m not expecting that. But done right it can vault us into a very exciting new era in the next 10 years.

Has he? When?

I'm not suggesting he hasn't but I haven't seen anything to suggest this.

He's posted a fair few things on twitter where he's met with people from the council, Wyness was in the group that worked on the CWG bid.  I've heard hints of a few other things as well.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2017, 04:37:49 PM »
You just know corners will get filled in during any upgrade.

For me, I'd be happy if we flattened the North Stand and built one of these...

Yeah the Sudtribune is an awesome sight when used for standing. It has the same legendary status as the old Holte end terrace. If the club were to build us something similar at the Witton end that would rock the established "norm" of the Sky six.Can't see it happening but Dr Tony did say the plans were unique for England and I can't wait to see them. Throughout the history of Aston Villa we have always been proud to have one of the best stadiums in England even when the club has been in the doldrums. It's something that has always set the club apart from the average. Make us proud again Tony.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2017, 06:38:56 PM »
It’s great news for the city and starts to give a bit of glimpse into what Xia’s been hinting at and what was suggested by Hollis/Lerner during the sale. He’s clearly also been networking hard to ensure Villa Park and indeed the entire area gets rebuilt and regenerated. What Man City have been able to accomplish is astonishing and I’m not expecting that. But done right it can vault us into a very exciting new era in the next 10 years.

Has he? When?

I'm not suggesting he hasn't but I haven't seen anything to suggest this.

I recall back in 2016 he met with the council (Clancy I think) and then this article also.

Xia Villa Park plans

I think he’s always had redevelopment as a priority as part of buying the club. Coinciding with the Games bid only strengthened that position and desire. I’m sure these weren’t the only meetings to take place to incorporate Villa Park into the council’s plans for the games.

Offline willenhall villa

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »
“The Jewellery Quarter has a definite identity, Salford in Manchester was rebuilt as a 'Media Hub', Stratford as a sports centre and new residential area, Canary Wharf as a financial centre etc and there are numerous examples around the world. The main thing is for the games to create a theme which can then be built on. Birmingham and the Midlands as a whole would benefit enormously if this is done in the right way. The risk if its done poorly is that it just ends up mirroring the mistakes made in the 1960s.”

I was working near the ethiad the other week and the sports village that is now there is fantastic. All from the commonwealth games and the whole area works a treat. Yes, Alexandra Stadium is a little further from VIlla Park but as mentioned there is plenty of in used land between the two and with the University sat between what a great attraction/ area to be able to regenerate.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2017, 08:22:22 PM »
Plenty of space around VP. The indoor Stumps place could be rebuilt into something to use 7 days a week rather than on matchdays.

That little community/basketball pitch opposite the Witton could be another area to get more productivity out of.

Have they said what the UCE building is going to be redeveloped into? I assume it will be the Athlete's village although not seen that anywhere.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2017, 08:45:41 PM »
Plenty of space around VP. The indoor Stumps place could be rebuilt into something to use 7 days a week rather than on matchdays.

That little community/basketball pitch opposite the Witton could be another area to get more productivity out of.

Have they said what the UCE building is going to be redeveloped into? I assume it will be the Athlete's village although not seen that anywhere.

Isn't stumps used for the academy in the week?

Offline TonyD

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2017, 09:33:48 PM »
You just know corners will get filled in during any upgrade.

For me, I'd be happy if we flattened the North Stand and built one of these...

I prefer they flattened the Holte and replaced it with this.  Dr Tony are you reading this.  ?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2017, 11:07:01 PM »
I think the new Holte is a fantastic stand. It looks superb inside and outside.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2017, 11:08:08 PM »

Isn't stumps used for the academy in the week?

Ah I stand corrected. When you think how big that area is including Villa Village (new club shop could be incoporated into an extended North Stand) we could redevlope that area into some pitches and training areas like Man. City have.

Underground car park could be possible aswell.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2018, 09:44:47 AM »
Sorry, just seen the Charlie Dimmock thread.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2018, 09:51:37 AM »
An underwhelming article but the redev is being discussed in the Dimmock thread.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2018, 11:48:34 AM »
I would like us to build a new stand in place of the North Stand but I like many others don't want the corners filled in keep it as it is.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2018, 11:49:32 AM »
I'll be quite happy for them to fill the corners in. Will make it less drafty.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2018, 01:10:53 PM »
I'd quite like a horseshoe, with the holte as a stand alone feature stand.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal