collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Changes & Commonwealth Games  (Read 32123 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Villa Park Changes & Commonwealth Games
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2017, 08:53:29 PM »
You just know corners will get filled in during any upgrade.

For me, I'd be happy if we flattened the North Stand and built one of these...

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2017, 08:54:05 PM »
Oh, and start calling the Witton Lane stand the Witton Lane stand again!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2017, 08:54:34 PM »
Leave our villa park alone, don’t want the corners filled in, don’t want any new stand. Loves villa park

Agree on the corners but I wouldn't be against something new in the witton road
Witton Road? Schoolboy error son!!
I think John wants another fried chicken and chips outlet on Witton road I think.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2017, 08:58:42 PM »
Oh, and start calling the Witton Lane stand the Witton Lane stand again!

And the north stand the witton end

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2017, 09:07:52 PM »
Leave our villa park alone, don’t want the corners filled in, don’t want any new stand. Loves villa park

The North Stand looks ridiculous though.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2017, 10:54:12 PM »
I think we should celebrate Gabbys  new contract by naming the new stand after him.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2017, 12:48:45 AM »
I have to stay, having last year moved back to my flat in Hackney Wick I rented out since 2009, a stones throw from the Olympic Site, it is pretty amazing how the area has changed and continues to do so.
I have to admit finding it slightly painful most days cycling past the West Ham ground I subsidise, but I can tolerate that given I have a massive new park and well all sorts of facilities, cultural quarter on its way with V&A East & new Saddlers Wells too.
Of course changes bring losses as well, but the light industrial wasteland is no more and I allegedly live in one of the hippest districts in Europe...
Something was confirmed when I saw a bunch of tourists being shown round the other week, presumably a graffiti trail tacked onto an Olympic site tour.
If there was any part of London that needed it it was this.
I was working in the Community Mental Health Team based in Stratford at the time of the Olympics. There was a surreal day cycling past some Olympic Team in all their tracksuits, I did wonder aloud, how the heck the Olympics had ended up in what was up to then the arse end of London.
It'd be great if Brum got a similar shot in the arm.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2017, 03:43:08 AM »
It’s great news for the city and starts to give a bit of glimpse into what Xia’s been hinting at and what was suggested by Hollis/Lerner during the sale. He’s clearly also been networking hard to ensure Villa Park and indeed the entire area gets rebuilt and regenerated. What Man City have been able to accomplish is astonishing and I’m not expecting that. But done right it can vault us into a very exciting new era in the next 10 years.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2017, 08:03:25 AM »
As we're only hosting the Rugby 7's, which is hardly a flagship event within the Games, is it not more likely that a slightly more cosmetically improved VP will be the height of the transformation involved?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2017, 10:12:52 AM »
What kind of things actually get built to build a sporting area, though? It sounds a bit pie in the sky, really.

Given this is Birmingham we're talking about I'd like to see sports research centres and high-end manufacturing for sports equipment.  That's the legacy that Birmingham should always aim for, we push the boundaries and build the future.

Offline FranzBiberkopf

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2017, 10:36:35 AM »
Given this is Birmingham we're talking about I'd like to see sports research centres and high-end manufacturing for sports equipment.  That's the legacy that Birmingham should always aim for, we push the boundaries and build the future.

Agreed.

The ship has sailed somewhat in terms of SportCity in Manchester which has collared squash, cycling, tennis.

Do we replicate that and hoover up other sports (e.g. hockey, rugby etc etc) which already have national centres?

Or go as suggested above and look at it differently?

Would love to know what the strategy is.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2017, 11:24:10 AM »
This is where the council should have flexibility to set business rates and council tax in zones to allow for certain business to concentrate and hopefully flourish.

It would be good to see the Uni's have a centre of excellence maybe adjacent to new facilities.

There's a golden opportunity here to re-build and craft something in a part of the city that doesn't involve social cleansing that's taken place in north London.

Sounds like Xia has been mingling with the council and floating ideas, so who knows.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2017, 12:11:49 PM »
If you follow the A34 from Aston University up to the Alexandra Stadium thats a massive area for potential development / improvement including the area around Villa Park. If you look on Google Maps there is quite a lot of vacant land, steel warehouses and run-down public housing. All of that could be improved with a master plan for the area that brings an identity and a purpose for the area built on sport and recreation facilities alongside rebuilding and improving housing, transport links (eg mass transit system along the A34) and so on. Villa should be a very large part of that, to make this area the centre for sport in the Midlands. That is what the legacy of 2022 should be.

The Jewellery Quarter has a definite identity, Salford in Manchester was rebuilt as a 'Media Hub', Stratford as a sports centre and new residential area, Canary Wharf as a financial centre etc and there are numerous examples around the world. The main thing is for the games to create a theme which can then be built on. Birmingham and the Midlands as a whole would benefit enormously if this is done in the right way. The risk if its done poorly is that it just ends up mirroring the mistakes made in the 1960s.

Mainly through Villa, Aston is a nationally known name, so I guess there is potential there.  Along with the Commonwealth Games, HS2 could be a game changer in terms of redevelopment for the area.     

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2017, 01:02:11 PM »
This really is a perfect opportunity for the city.

Manchester and London have really benefited from the Commonwealth and Olympic Games respectively, this should be just what Birmingham needs to do the same. Given our owner's experience in development and his keenness to do business, we should be bale to take a leading role.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2017, 02:02:43 PM »
It’s great news for the city and starts to give a bit of glimpse into what Xia’s been hinting at and what was suggested by Hollis/Lerner during the sale. He’s clearly also been networking hard to ensure Villa Park and indeed the entire area gets rebuilt and regenerated. What Man City have been able to accomplish is astonishing and I’m not expecting that. But done right it can vault us into a very exciting new era in the next 10 years.

Has he? When?

I'm not suggesting he hasn't but I haven't seen anything to suggest this.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal