collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The greatest game you have ever been at (Villa only)  (Read 12113 times)

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
Re: The greatest game you have ever been at (Villa only)
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2017, 08:05:43 AM »
94 League Cup Final Villa 3 United 1, goals from Dalian and 2 from Deano. A United side that had Keane, Ince, Giggs, Hughes, Cantona and a certain Steve Bruce.

I had it in my mind that Cantona was suspended for that game. I think what confused me was that he had been sent off in the previous league game and I think Schmichael had been sent off in the one before that meaning Mad Les was in goal for them. I was sat behind the goal Dalian scored in with Cyrille Regis sitting near me.

That was where I was too, Damo. Big Cyrille was only a few seats away from me, on the row behind I think.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2017, 09:23:47 AM »
Derby 3-4 Villa. FA Cup 4th Round Feb '92.

The old Baseball Ground, evening kick off, 2 missed Penalties, a sending off, Yorke, Shilton and a big away following in the FA Cup.

Magic.

It wasn't a replay so I think it was a night match because we had to replay our third round tie against Spurs? Fantastic atmosphere at the old Baseball Ground that night. A proper old style football ground. We had a decent view too as we were up in the seats as opposed to the lower standing part.

They showed the highlights on SKY a couple of years back.

I remember it being unseasonably warm for some reason.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2017, 04:45:45 PM »
94 League Cup Final Villa 3 United 1, goals from Dalian and 2 from Deano. A United side that had Keane, Ince, Giggs, Hughes, Cantona and a certain Steve Bruce.

I had it in my mind that Cantona was suspended for that game. I think what confused me was that he had been sent off in the previous league game and I think Schmichael had been sent off in the one before that meaning Mad Les was in goal for them. I was sat behind the goal Dalian scored in with Cyrille Regis sitting near me.

That was where I was too, Damo. Big Cyrille was only a few seats away from me, on the row behind I think.

Me too, 10 yards in front of Cyrille and a few feet above pitch level... great day out!

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2017, 06:31:34 PM »

Online steamer

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2017, 07:20:19 PM »
Andy Lochhead has prompted me to post.
That game, probably the biggest crowd I ever stood in at V.P, the record book says 58,000, I am sure at the time it was set at 62,000
Pat Mac & Andy
Sammy's game against Arsenal,  Cup  3rd round replay 74. Pity about the next round at Burnley, but it was great on the night.
As per many others L.C replay against Everton, C.N screamer and Sir Brian X 2, although the semi at Arsenal against QPR and Sir Brian's hat trick runs this close.
Beating L/pool 5-1 I really thought we had arrived. finished 4th, won the league cup, knocked out in 6th round of cup 2-1 at OT.
In the modern era there have probably  many fantastic games I have never seen,  so being at V.P for the 5-1 with my family and ensuring they will always be Villians, finishes off my selection

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2017, 07:42:36 PM »
 For me it's Liverpool belting in 76 disbelief is the only word to describe it I was fortunate to be standing on the Witt on end that night.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2017, 11:44:09 AM »
Edit - I have just remembered I wasn't at the game when Phillips got the winner at the sty, I watched it in the pub!

How? It wasn't on telly.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2017, 12:11:08 PM »
Edit - I have just remembered I wasn't at the game when Phillips got the winner at the sty, I watched it in the pub!

How? It wasn't on telly.

That was back when some pubs had the dodgy satellites. I remember watching us at Anfield in the Ivy Bush back in about 98 and that wasn't on Sky.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2017, 04:00:17 PM »
Home: Tranmere, Atletico Madrid, ManUtd/Arsenal xmas 89/90

Away: Hillsborough - Big Ron, nothing comes close.

Neutral: 94 League Cup Final, 96 was good as well, but was more routine.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2017, 04:25:58 PM »

Agree with all of these.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2017, 06:32:09 PM »

Agree with all of these.

Sorry, but 5-5 from 5-1 down at Spurs takes some topping for away results, at a time when we were really shit and they were that era's creme-de-la-creme.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2017, 07:47:11 AM »
Away from home would be 5-2 at Spurs after we were 2-0 down in April 1992. Absolutely loved that game. 

Offline Damo70

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2017, 09:24:45 AM »

How? It wasn't on telly.

That was back when some pubs had the dodgy satellites. I remember watching us at Anfield in the Ivy Bush back in about 98 and that wasn't on Sky.

Yes, I definitely watched it in the pub. I watched it with my mate in his local, The Red Lion in Shirley. Foreign commentary, either SKY Italia or Al Jazeera I think. At least we saw the game. We went in there once to watch a dodgy after hours feed of a David Haye/Audley Harrison fight and ended up listening to it old style on tut wireless. Still, a lock in is a lock in, even an 'audio only' one.

Offline IAmTheOneIanOlney

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2017, 10:27:37 AM »

I was sat in that area too and Gary Shaw was right by us, though I only caught a glimpse through the sea of supporters trying to talk to him.

Was it long benches still, rather than seats, in '94?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2017, 08:51:40 AM »

If I remember right he was in the row behind me, sort of over my left shoulder so it appears you and I were sat in the same row.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal