collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Nev
[Today at 05:39:45 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:32:19 PM]

Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 05:29:05 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:28:11 PM]

Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:27:35 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:25:54 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:25:04 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:22:42 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 05:39:45 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:32:19 PM]

Re: FFP by pablo_picasso
[Today at 05:31:28 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 05:29:05 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:28:11 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:27:35 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:25:54 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:25:04 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa vs Birmingham Football Rivalries Show on Sky Sports  (Read 38496 times)

Online luke95

Re: Villa vs Birmingham Football Rivalries Show on Sky Sports
« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2017, 12:59:41 PM »
Villa blues is north Birmingham v south Birmingham for me it's the roots of the Derby.  People move around you blues in the north villa in the south. Does anyone remember when you couldn't find a blue nose in the north and a Villa in the south.

No, I’m In my late 50s, from south Birmingham (Northfield and Rubery) and there have always been plenty of Villa fans. I would say slightly more of them but not overwhelming so.
I'm from those parts too, they have never out numbered villas support over this side of the city in all my years either

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #166 on: October 28, 2017, 01:26:01 PM »
... There's a bloke who used to phone tom ross who use to say his a Villa blue nose as he use to go both. People did do that in the 50s as it was affordable and not the hate there is today.

I agree.  Me and my old man used to do it quite regularly up and until he got sick in the mid-sixties.  At that time we couldn't afford to travel very often and wanted to watch a match so we'd go up there and occasionally the Albion.  It was about that time that my earning capacity increased which enabled me to travel to more away matches, in fact it was the first thing I did when I got my wages, put the money away for the travelling expenses.

Me and my Dad used to stand on the Tilton most times we went there and, in all the years we did it we never really encountered any real animosity, had a few rows mind, but never anything violent.

We've done it on here a few times, asking the question 'when did violence really start in football?'  There's no set 'anniversary' date but I recall it beginning en-masse mid-to-late sixties, although if you speak to anyone left who attended football in the 1930's they'll tell you it was around in its minority back then.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #167 on: October 28, 2017, 01:50:38 PM »
Villa blues is north Birmingham v south Birmingham for me it's the roots of the Derby.  People move around you blues in the north villa in the south. Does anyone remember when you couldn't find a blue nose in the north and a Villa in the south.

B-lose prob draw the majority of their support in South Birmingham/ Solihull.  But my aul' fella lived over that side from the 1950s onwards and there was always plenty of Villa in Hall Green, Acocks Green and -yes even Small Heath, according to him.

Shouldn't be a huge surprise.  Traditionally, we were a well supported club.  And they weren't.

He did go to St Andrews with his B-lose supporting mates and they came to the Villa on alternate weekends, which wasn't really frowned upon back then.

Away days across the country weren't really a thing.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #168 on: October 28, 2017, 04:14:42 PM »

B-lose prob draw the majority of their support in South Birmingham/ Solihull.  But my aul' fella lived over that side from the 1950s onwards and there was always plenty of Villa in Hall Green, Acocks Green and -yes even Small Heath, according to him.

Shouldn't be a huge surprise.  Traditionally, we were a well supported club.  And they weren't.

He did go to St Andrews with his B-lose supporting mates and they came to the Villa on alternate weekends, which wasn't really frowned upon back then.

Away days across the country weren't really a thing.

Not sure the “south Brum is blue” is true. Go anywhere near Selly Oak, Harborne, Weoley Castle, Bournville, Stirchley etc etc and you’ll find more Villa than Small Heath. I think the only true stronghold they have is the south east of Brum, and to be frank they’re welcome to it.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #169 on: October 28, 2017, 04:35:43 PM »
Remember reading an article somewhere about the violence at football matches at the turn of the century. I'm sure Leicester got banned from trains in the early 1900''s because of the damage they did. Up until 1930''s racecourses suffered from trouble because of gang fights but that started to die out after the authorities clamped down following Birmingham vs London in a fight at Brighton racecourse in about 1930.As we all say football is a vehicle for some not a cause. It''s just a case of people wanting trouble go where there will be large crowds. Shame but that's the way it is. Having said that that my experiences these days are a lot less violent that in the late 70''s.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2017, 05:29:08 PM »
Where is Castle Bromwich, Kingshurst and Coleshill on the Birmingham map?

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2017, 05:34:10 PM »
CB is all Villa. Coleshill mostly Villa and Kingshurst is confused.

Offline rim gk

« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2017, 06:05:40 PM »
... There's a bloke who used to phone tom ross who use to say his a Villa blue nose as he use to go both. People did do that in the 50s as it was affordable and not the hate there is today.

I agree.  Me and my old man used to do it quite regularly up and until he got sick in the mid-sixties.  At that time we couldn't afford to travel very often and wanted to watch a match so we'd go up there and occasionally the Albion.  It was about that time that my earning capacity increased which enabled me to travel to more away matches, in fact it was the first thing I did when I got my wages, put the money away for the travelling expenses.

Me and my Dad used to stand on the Tilton most times we went there and, in all the years we did it we never really encountered any real animosity, had a few rows mind, but never anything violent.

We've done it on here a few times, asking the question 'when did violence really start in football?'  There's no set 'anniversary' date but I recall it beginning en-masse mid-to-late sixties, although if you speak to anyone left who attended football in the 1930's they'll tell you it was around in its minority back then.
if was around in the 50s I don't think I would have done villa one week blues the next. I would have gone for wba if villa weren't home. Nothing to do with hate for  blues, just I'm more north / north west birmingham. Plus albion had a better team, better ground, known players, good boozers on the 11 route.

Offline rim gk

« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2017, 06:22:35 PM »
Remember reading an article somewhere about the violence at football matches at the turn of the century. I'm sure Leicester got banned from trains in the early 1900''s because of the damage they did. Up until 1930''s racecourses suffered from trouble because of gang fights but that started to die out after the authorities clamped down following Birmingham vs London in a fight at Brighton racecourse in about 1930.As we all say football is a vehicle for some not a cause. It''s just a case of people wanting trouble go where there will be large crowds. Shame but that's the way it is. Having said that that my experiences these days are a lot less violent that in the late 70''s.
don't agree vast majority of hooligans are supporters of clubs, it's a about pride and not letting the opposition take the piss. There's  comradeship among firms, the hooligans are mates it's about sticking with your mates on a Saturday afternoon.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2017, 06:31:08 PM »
don't agree vast majority of hooligans are supporters of clubs, it's a about pride and not letting the opposition take the piss. There's  comradeship among firms, the hooligans are mates it's about sticking with your mates on a Saturday afternoon.

Is it really?  Or is about turning up, doing a spot of pavement dancing, throwing a few chairs and then claiming a 'result' on social media and in books containing more fairy tales than something by the Brothers Grimm?

Offline rim gk

« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2017, 06:33:27 PM »

Is it really?  Or is about turning up, doing a spot of pavement dancing, throwing a few chairs and then claiming a 'result' on social media and in books containing more fairy tales than something by the Brothers Grimm?
that does go on, but on the whole not the general idea.

Offline KingstandingVilla

« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2017, 04:38:44 AM »
The big bad Zulus have actually used that excuse after getting shown up by Villas firm. These are excuses I have heard from them over the years : you're too early (19/10/2003) we can't live with that (same day as the mob walked over the flyover) Villa hired nazis (rocky lane) Villa had Rangers Chelsea and Millwall (rocky lane) taxis were late (several times) the leader of the Villa firm had a knife (statement made in court over rocky lane) our taxis were late (several times) you had too many (macdonalds island) we had kids with us (same event) we didn't run from Villa we ran from the police (two different events) villa had knives and my own personal favourite "the police stitched us up and marched us into a big mob of villa"  total spin doctors

Offline Happy Abode

« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2017, 05:49:00 AM »
This thread has some great quotes in it. I love how you lot are still traumatized by Enkleman, it's made for some pretty entertaining reading. I was going to say good luck and may the best team win, but I can't quite get there. Especially after the last couple of pages, where you've reverted back to your usual drivel. I blame the drink, it must be those pre match nerves, hey lads? Enjoy your big day out.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #178 on: October 29, 2017, 06:55:56 AM »
Now back to your crayons and sewing extra fingers into your gloves and extensions for your socks.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2017, 07:21:24 AM »
This thread has some great quotes in it. I love how you lot are still traumatized by Enkleman, it's made for some pretty entertaining reading. I was going to say good luck and may the best team win, but I can't quite get there. Especially after the last couple of pages, where you've reverted back to your usual drivel. I blame the drink, it must be those pre match nerves, hey lads? Enjoy your big day out.

Aren't you already in the pub?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal