collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 05:46:12 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:42:02 PM]

Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 05:29:05 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:28:11 PM]

Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:27:35 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:25:54 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:25:04 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:22:42 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 05:46:12 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 05:44:20 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:42:02 PM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 05:39:45 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:32:19 PM]

Re: FFP by pablo_picasso
[Today at 05:31:28 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 05:29:05 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:28:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa vs Birmingham Football Rivalries Show on Sky Sports  (Read 38503 times)

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Villa vs Birmingham Football Rivalries Show on Sky Sports
« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2017, 12:05:13 PM »
Enklemans let in goal at VP was worse than the one at their place in my view
 although it did look ridiculous on the night it was a complete mistake of epic proportions whilst the one where Horsefield robs him on a 50/50 ball at best is a utter bottle job

keepers will always make mistakes (not quite as big as that granted) but you cant excuse bottling out of a challenge especially when you can use your arms and hands when the balls in your own area,
unforgivable is that in a local derby

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:07:23 PM by john e »

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »
Just watching the show now. Kevin Broadhurst acting the big man with the battle of Villa Park and how they "chased" the players. "I think I started the battle, to be honest, I actually started the battle of Villa Park that day. Well what started it was a Steve McMahon tackle on myself..." Make your mind up ya fanny

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2017, 01:36:37 PM »
Just watching the show now. Kevin Broadhurst acting the big man with the battle of Villa Park and how they "chased" the players. "I think I started the battle, to be honest, I actually started the battle of Villa Park that day. Well what started it was a Steve McMahon tackle on myself..." Make your mind up ya fanny

"We went in their dressing room"
"You went in their dressing room?"
"Yeah.  Well I didn't because I was on a stretcher"

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2017, 02:10:51 PM »
Re Enkleman touching the ball or not, his body language is the giveaway because if he knew the laws of the game he would know that if he hadn't touched it the outcome IIRC would be a corner kick.  You cannot score against yourself from a thow-in among other scenarios.

Correct Dave. I was howling at the the tv in the pub on this point. All those years as a kid reading Paul Trevelion's "You are the ref" columns in Shoot or newspapers had their use!

I met Enckelman's girlfriend around 2008 as she had previously worked for our employer and came along to a bash to see her old mates. We chatted and she said that the management and coaching staff at Villa really gave him no support after that incident and he had a tough time. Apparently Schmeichel was very supportive, sending texts and messages from long distance.

To be fair to Encks, it wasn't his job to know the in depth laws of the game, it was the ref's, and he got it wrong.
Players who don't know the rules? - gosh, that's worrying.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2017, 02:13:21 PM »
If you are being kind to Elleray you’d say he at best guessed if Enk had touched the ball....even video replay wouldn’t give definitive so how he made that call was pathetic, attention seeker!

Saying that I remember morning about Purse clobbering Angel earlier in the game with no punishment, not a patch on McMahons slightly ill timed challenge though :-)
Refs do take the player-reaction into their decision-making; and are advised to do so (certainly in the amateur game at least). Elleray had the benefit of a linesman. what was his position and role in it all, I wonder?

Online andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2017, 06:17:46 PM »
I was at the game and although we were at the other end I was low enough to be convinced that he  didn’t touch it. But this made no difference at the time because I like most in the crowd thought it was a Melberg own goal. It would have lead to much confusion if a corner had been given.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2017, 06:29:23 PM »
If you are being kind to Elleray you’d say he at best guessed if Enk had touched the ball....even video replay wouldn’t give definitive so how he made that call was pathetic, attention seeker!

Saying that I remember morning about Purse clobbering Angel earlier in the game with no punishment, not a patch on McMahons slightly ill timed challenge though :-)
Refs do take the player-reaction into their decision-making; and are advised to do so (certainly in the amateur game at least). Elleray had the benefit of a linesman. what was his position and role in it all, I wonder?

I still think Elleray got the rules wrong and didn’t immediately twig that you cannot score directly from a throw in. Then  subsequently when it was mentioned he didn’t have the bottle to admit it.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2017, 06:35:52 PM »

I still think Elleray got the rules wrong and didn’t immediately twig that you cannot score directly from a throw in. Then  subsequently when it was mentioned he didn’t have the bottle to admit it.

If he realised that he had got the decision wrong, provided he hadn't restarted the game, he had the right and time to reverse the decision.  That he didn't will forever be to his detriment and should be used in all training on refereeing coaching courses where he will be immortalised as his demeanour often showed that he wanted to be.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #143 on: October 27, 2017, 07:20:08 PM »
I had this happen to me on Monday. A kick-in (no throw-in in Leisure Leagues) was taken and aimed straight at the goal. It clipped the GKs fingers so I awarded the goal. To say he was not happy is an understatement.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #144 on: October 27, 2017, 07:28:04 PM »

My uncle had a brother
[/quote]

Doesn't that make him your uncle too?
[/quote]

No, because only one of them married my dad's sister. ;)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #145 on: October 27, 2017, 08:52:29 PM »
Them being on the pitch influenced the decision.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2017, 09:18:07 PM »
Whats your favourite Nose fantasy? That stock piece of utter bollocks they come out with?

Mine has to be, without doubt, this curious belief we're jealous of their name.

I've had conversations in the Thai jungle about Aston Villa with the locals and they have no idea who our rivals are when they ask and I tell them Birmingham City. Faces blank like a Nose trying to find Sherlock Street.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2017, 09:22:06 PM »
Whats your favourite Nose fantasy? That stock piece of utter bollocks they come out with?

Mine has to be, without doubt, this curious belief we're jealous of their name.

I've had conversations in the Thai jungle about Aston Villa with the locals and they have no idea who our rivals are when they ask and I tell them Birmingham City. Faces blank like a Nose trying to find Sherlock Street.

I do enjoy the myth that were jealous of that. Our name is so unique and beautiful, and theres seems lazy and unimaginative. The fantasy that were scared to drink in town always raises a smile. And that there are no Villa fans in Birmingham.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #148 on: October 27, 2017, 09:30:50 PM »
Their myths are so fantastical you'd have to be a gullible moron to believe any of them........ ah we have a problem.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #149 on: October 27, 2017, 09:31:10 PM »
My favourite Small Heath fantasy is the one where they claim to have 40k fans ready to go to every home match as soon as they get a team worthy of the PL. Then as soon as they get there only half of them bother to turn up. Obviously they’re caught up in the traffic on the way there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal