collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Robert Snodgrass - loaned for 17-18 season  (Read 132642 times)

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
Re: Robert Snodgrass - loaned for 17-18 season
« Reply #840 on: December 04, 2018, 11:02:02 PM »
Good point. Really highlights our training methods under the previous regime.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #841 on: December 04, 2018, 11:23:36 PM »
Good point. Really highlights our training methods under the previous regime.

TBF I do think Snoddy was grateful to SB for getting him out of his West Ham "hell" at the time and seems like most he enjoyed playing under him last season.

Issue here though is who out of overweight Geordie or trim Chilean who's managed Real Madrid would he be more likely to listen to if he was asked to lose some timber to improve his game?

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #842 on: December 04, 2018, 11:52:48 PM »
Also the difference between rating someone enough to recruit them and inheriting them.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #843 on: December 04, 2018, 11:52:48 PM »
Or who would offer the best advice for a great take away ?!!

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #844 on: December 05, 2018, 10:09:10 AM »
I'm on my way home from tonights West Ham game. He played well,  had two assists, shows so much enthusiasm here like he did for us. They love him like we do or did, I feel like a jilted lover tonight.
I'm happy with our current wide players, but I did think Snoddy was fantastic for us on and off the field.  One of my favourite players for some time, and given he was only here on a 1 season loan that says a lot about him.  I'll always have a soft spot for him.

Offline kieron

« Reply #845 on: September 16, 2019, 06:53:58 AM »
https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2019/09/15/in-search-of-the-lions-robert-snodgrass

'Some of us are born Villa. Some, just fall in love.' It's a phrase that can be seen adorning an iconic banner in and around Villa Park these days. And it really is true, you know.

Baring emphatic imagery of lifelong Villa supporter turned Head Coach Dean Smith on one side, with former captain and current Assistant Coach John Terry at the other, it's become a poignant addition to the matchday tapestry.

Because for every Smith or Jack Grealish at the club, there are people not from these parts who adopt everything it means to be Aston Villa. Often to the point it never quite leaves them.

One of those is Robert Snodgrass, the man who spent the 2017/18 season on loan at Villa Park, and who returns on Monday for the first time since – on this occasion in the claret of West Ham United. The Scot quickly became an icon of the squad that went so close to achieving promotion via the Championship Play-Off Final that term.

Whether it be for his stunning last-gasp winner away at Sheffield United, his winning header at Middlesbrough that kick-started a seven-game winning streak or his side-splittingly hilarious spell as the Unclassic Commentary anchor – he isn't a player that will be forgotten in a hurry on our terraces.

Catching up on the eve of the Monday Night Football that will see him reunited with many familiar faces once again, it's fair to say he'll never never forget his stint here either.

"I've not been back to Villa Park since the Middlesbrough Play-Off semi-final. So I'm really looking forward to it," Snodgrass said.

"To come back and have a chance to see so many faces and the fans, who I had a great relationship with, will be great. I'm certainly happy to be coming back with Aston Villa now a Premier League club again, where it deserves to be. I'm delighted about that.

"It was an amazing season for me at Villa. I loved every second of it. I've got friends for life at the club now. I always knew it was special place, even before I arrived. It was a sleeping giant that never should have been in the situation of being in the Championship. Sometimes these things happen, and hopefully it's better for it now. It was a building process. It's been a case of one step back and two forward in recent years.

"The only disappointment was the Play-Off Final defeat. Other than that, I really did love my time there. I'm still very happy to be able to say I played for Aston Villa."

So much is Snodgrass still engrained in the progress of Aston Villa that he followed our every move last season as the squad eventually went one better and secured that historic Wembley triumph.

Play-Off Final day 2019 still meant a great deal to the 32-year old, who gathered around the television set with all of his close family to will us over the line – even putting long-lasting friendships on hold for the afternoon.

"I watched the game at Wembley," he recalled.

"I had a few mates also playing for Derby and I had to apologise to them in advance because I wanted Villa to win. For sure. I watched back home in Scotland with my family and there were 15 to 20 of us all rooting for Villa, with wild cheers when they scored. To see John McGinn score was special. And then to see all the lads I played with smiling a year after the disappointment was a good feeling. I watched it as a fan, which is the true marker of knowing you had a good time at a club."

Snodgrass remains tight with former team-mates and backroom staff here. In fact, he felt so much at home during his time around Bodymoor Heath, that he remembers it as longer than a nine-month loan spell.

While his career has now trodden a different path, there remains connections everywhere he looks. Just months after his return to London, his countryman and good friend John McGinn was drafted in and quickly took the mantle as our new Scottish midfield icon. He's a player Snoddy rates extremely highly – both on the pitch and in the commentary booth!

"I still speak to a lot of the players and staff even now. I was only there nine months, but it felt like five or six years. We had to go our own ways after the Play-Off Final. That's football. It changes quickly. But as I said, I'm pleased it happened and I'm now enjoying my time at West Ham United.

"It's not often you get to pull on shirts of really big football clubs. That's what Villa is and always was when I was growing up. You only have look at some of the names – especially some of the Scottish ones – that played there down the years. I loved it.

"The club has its new Scotsman now in John [McGinn]. I've seen it, how popular he is. He's top level, to be fair to him. He's also got big potential in the commentary world! He's a great lad and deserves everything he's got so far. He's a brilliant footballer and I'm really glad Villa fans have got to see what he's about on and off the park. He's one that's definitely driven the team forward, and we're still yet to see the best of him."

To Monday night, and Snodgrass is convinced it's shaping up for a corker of a game as Villa, keen for the points performances have deserved, take on the Hammers, who've taken seven points from their first four matches.

It's set to be an emotional, but highly competitive return of one of our most popular players in recent memory.

"Monday night will be a cracking one for the neutral because you'll have two teams desperate to go and try and win the game", he concluded.

"Villa have some great talent and have made a few signings, like West Ham have. I expect both sides to be going for it and I think there'll be goals in it.

"We're learning all the time here. I'm loving it. We've gone through rotational stages of late and we're building on our style from last season, with some new players having joined. We've started well – a lot better than last year. Seven points from 12 is decent. We've got the talent and the mindset to get ever better. We're in for a very tough game at Villa Park on Monday now."

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #846 on: September 16, 2019, 10:45:48 AM »
Snoddy is one of the good guys.

Good luck to him. After tonight, obviously.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #847 on: September 16, 2019, 10:55:05 AM »
Will be applauding General Snod's return for sure.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #848 on: September 16, 2019, 11:24:23 AM »
He'll get a clap from me too, very likeable player.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #849 on: September 16, 2019, 11:27:39 AM »
Oh no he will be able to tell his teammates all about strength and weaknesses of  our team Johnstone, Hutton, Bree, Chester, Whelan, Bjarnason, Jedinak, Onomah, Adomah, Hogan and Grabban.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #850 on: September 16, 2019, 12:07:49 PM »
Yes, one of those players that feels like he should still be here.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #851 on: September 16, 2019, 12:17:16 PM »
Welcome back Snoddy

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #852 on: September 16, 2019, 12:26:44 PM »
He'll get a clap from me too, very likeable player.

I had to look twice there as at first glance my brain saw 'the' instead of 'a'.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #853 on: September 16, 2019, 12:32:42 PM »
A likeable guy and a decent player who gave everything whilst he was here.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #854 on: September 16, 2019, 12:40:53 PM »
From their OS

Four months ago, Robert Snodgrass and his family celebrated Aston Villa’s return to the Premier League via the Championship Play-Off final.

Twelve months previously, the on-loan Scotland midfielder was left forlorn on the Wembley Stadium turf following Villa’s 1-0 defeat by Fulham in the same fixture.

But on Monday evening, any feelings towards the Birmingham-based club will be pushed aside as Snodgrass and his West Ham United teammates go in search of three valuable Premier League points at Villa Park.

“We want to try and win the game at Aston Villa as, to keep on progressing, we need to keep on winning football matches and need to bring different ideas to break these sorts of teams down,” said the No11.

“That’s the sign of a good team and what the top teams do so, if we want to go into that next bracket, we must find a way to beat Aston Villa.”

With the four teams directly above them also on the road, a third straight Premier League win could take West Ham into the top four come Monday night but, at 32, Snodgrass is experienced enough to know nothing is achieved in mid-September.

“Everybody says you need to set a target, but everything can change throughout the course of a season, so if you set one then you can leave yourself open to criticism if it doesn’t happen,” he observed.

Looking ahead to his return to Villa Park in more detail, Snodgrass can expect a warm reception after his outstanding contribution to their cause during the 2017/18 season.

The Glaswegian scored eight goals and assisted 13 more to help Villa reach the Play-Offs, earning himself cult hero status on the Holte End in the process.

Eighteen months on from the end of his loan spell, he remains close friends with many players and staff there.

“It was unbelievable [playing in the Play-Off final],” he recalled. “I remember that day. It’s probably the most emotion you could ever feel in football. It was at Wembley and to go through it with that club, who deserved to be back in the Premier League, was amazing.

“I watched their second Play-Off final in May with my whole family and we were cheering when they scored and when they won it, 12 months on from them all coming down to Wembley and seeing us lose. To see the smiles on all the Villa lads’ faces, I couldn’t have been happier.

“Their fans have had a tough time these last few years, but I think the connection between the players and fans has come back and it was only a matter of time before they got back up.

“Aston Villa are a very good side. I’ve watched them a lot this season because of the fact I’ve been there and kept in touch with some of their players and staff, and we’ll need to be at our very best to get a result.”

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal